Author Topic: Anyone used both a Lachesis and a Xai?  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Chobopants

Anyone used both a Lachesis and a Xai?
« on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 14:55:15 »
I'm a long time Lachesis user and have zero complaints. I was a hardcore Intellimouse 1.1 guy until my last one broken and I moved to Razer mice. Looking at the Xai I can't help but be enticed by its oldschool size and simple design.

I was entirely ready to just buy one to try it out but the more I read about all these crazy features like built in hardware acceleration (possibly even negative accel!) and auto correction/prediction the more weird I feel about buying the mouse.

Anyone able to allay my fears and tell me it'll be ok? :)
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 16:12:51 »
Well I have never had a lachesis but there are two of us here who used the 1.1 for many years.
We have both switched to the Xai. I can tell you that neither of us would ever switch back or use anything else.
The Xai is more or less the same shape as the 1.1. If you used a 1.1 then the Xai will feel absolutely perfect in your hand.
Ignore what people have said about acceleration. It must be so small that we can't even detect it and we've tried.
It has no default auto correction or prediction by default. You can select the amounts by downloading the mouse software or by using the LCD panel under the mouse.
I can honestly say that my Xai is the best mouse I have ever used and I have tried many. It is great on the desktop and just fantastic for games.

You may want to wait for the Steelseries Sensei though as that is the new Xai replacement that is just about to be released. It is a pimped and pumped Xai.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 16:24:22 »
i had xai, it has very noticeable acceleration. returned in 3 days
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 August 2011, 16:46:50 »
Thanks Ramabot! I read the stuff that you're saying and I get super psyched on the mouse but then I see stuff like what noodles is saying and I get gunshy. :/ Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and see whats up.

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 04:23:33 »
Well I've just moved mine five times left and right accross te desk and my cursor returns to the same place each time.
I tried it on my wood effect desk and my Qck mousepad. Each time it was fine.

Maybe I'm doing the test wrong or something.

I have it at 3600 DPI and 1000 reports per second.
It never skip, slides or glitches.
I think some people must be using a surface it doesn't like.

Give it a try for a few days. You could always send it back.

But I would still wait for the Sensei as that has variable lift off distance settings. You will be able to set the lift distance to match the surface you are using which should be cool.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 09:02:48 »
Ok. I hope the Sensei comes in black like the Xai, the pictures of the Sensei honestly look REALLY ugly compared to the Xai which looks perfect. I'll give it a shot though based on your recommendation. :)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 09:49:55 »
Xai ordered, got overnight so I can play with it this weekend before I go to SF for work. :) I plan on doing lots of SC2 practice with my team while I'm out there, hope this mouse lives up to the hype.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 10:03:15 »
i play on 800 dpi. maybe that is why i can notice the accel
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 10:46:40 »
Quote from: noodles256;404865
i play on 800 dpi. maybe that is why i can notice the accel

Hmm interesting, I believe I'm around 1200 (that's what I remember when I last configured my Lachesis at home, can't check this one at work because I'm on a Mac). I did hear that the accel is more sensitive on cloth pads and lower dpi. I'll report back on what it feels like after a couple days of use. Sadly it has been really hard to get a consistent answer (did a lot of research yesterday) and hands on testing is the only thing that's going to let me get a decisive answer.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 11:07:20 »
Downgrade your firmware with 1.2.179, then upgrade with 1.3.6.
I read the trick on ESR, it works for me, I didn't notice any positive accel now.

I use 450 and 900 dpi.

EDIT: I'm talking about the xai actually :]]]
I can upload all the stuff if needed.
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 13:04:07 »
Awesome man thanks for the advice.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 August 2011, 18:12:28 »
I just uploaded it here
It's easy and safe, if you don't like the 1.3.6 firmware, you can upgrade it with any higher one (and retry the 1.3.6 when you will realize he's better, that's what I did actually:)
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 10:53:53 »
Have only used it for about 10 minutes so far but it feels awesome! Great shape and the GIGANTIC teflon pads make it smooth as butter, even moreso than my Lachesis that I put custom larger pads on.

I'm going to noodle a bit with settings and play some SC2 with it tonight and this weekend and then post a real review later. Initial impressions are very positive, though!

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 12:37:53 »
So...the mousewheel feels pretty ****ed up. If I scroll more than REALLY slowly it basically misses every single notch. On my Lachesis it's 100% accurate no matter how fast I scroll. Does your magic firmware fix that? :/

Edit:

Seems like this is a super common problem on the Xai. Will give it a week to see if it normalizes (this was recommended by someone) and then RMA it if it doesn't gett better (which is what I suspect will happen).

This is really too bad because everything else about the mouse is making me really happy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2011, 12:42:10 by Chobopants »

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 August 2011, 15:43:16 »
That mouse wheel thing would just piss me off.

I just check both Xai's here - no problems at all. I tried scrolling as slowly as I could and they are both perfect.
Also scrolled as fast as I could with no problems. Though one of us would have noticed as we use them for at least 12 hours a day for graphics, programming and COD4.
I have a feeling there must be a dodgy batch out there or something.

I agree with you though. If it isn't perfect then get shot of it. Especially at the price they charge for them.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 00:46:04 »
Have the mouse plugged into my PC at home, got it all configured up (looks like 900dpi is just right for me) with the latest firmware and everything. Mousewheel feels just fine. I'm afraid this just may be an OS X issue. I have access to two Macs here, one with Leopard one with Snow Leopard, will do some testing with the mouse this weekend.

Have to say it felt great for the 10 minutes of StarCraft I just played (just did a micro challenge). It will definitely take a little time adjusting but I'm fairly confident that I will feel some direct benefit fairly quickly. Micro almost felt easier/faster right off the bat. I never knew how much I was struggling!

The scary thing is now I have to buy one for work...oy. Now I'm going to have 3 Lachesis sitting around not being used. I can try to sell the 5700, though, it's only ~6 months old and probably ~100 hours of use.

Offline hella

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 12:29:06 »
Glad it worked out for you dude!

The xai is an excellent RTS mouse.  In these types of games the 5% positive acceleration is not noticable for most.  Any semi-decent FPS player would notice it right away and would probably find it unsuitable for that style of game.

Offline Arcane

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 August 2011, 14:22:29 »
I have the xai as well as both lachesis (4000dpi and 5600dpi version), I liked the shape from the first lachesis but I had some issues with the first version like the tracking wasn't accurate or it was tracking by itself. I used the Lachesis on the exactmat. Later bought the xai and used it with the 4HD mousepad that was a great combination. Things that annoyed me concerning the xai was the noisy scrollwheel when scrolling up and the most annoying part was the steelseries logo printed on the mouse. I had two xais and on both of them the logo wore out very fast, it can be scratched off easily. I guess that is also a reason for releasing a "new" mouse that has a glowing logo like the sensei, a xai in disguise actually. Finally with the new Lachesis 5600 I am very satisfied, the errors of the old version have been addressed. I think the scrollwheel is much better on the lachesis as it is on the xai. Also after using the xai a long time and then switching to the lachesis 5600 I found the buttons on the lachesis generally better because you need more force to actually click but on the xai it was possible to accidently click at least for me. Currently using the Lachesis 5600 with the 4HD mousepad and I am loving it. Best combo I had so far.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 August 2011, 15:16:32 »
I use Logitech G1 (1000dpi ver.) for Sc2. Great Mouse
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 01:47:43 »
Quote from: pitashen;406523
I use Logitech G1 (1000dpi ver.) for Sc2. Great Mouse

Nice man, old school.

Anyway, I am LOVING my Xai. I went 10-3 today in SC2 with it and spent some time playing deus ex as well and that was super fun.

Ug, now I need to buy another for work...