Author Topic: Idea: USB Tilt sensor (TiltStick?) for image rotation depending on monitor position  (Read 3013 times)

Offline timofonic

Hello.

I have a nice H-IPS TFT computer monitor bought some time ago (HP lp2475w) and liked the feature of the stand to change the monitor orientation easily. Now I bough a wall mount with a similar feature, but more comfortable to use.

I always found stupid why monitor manufactures with this kind of stands don't add a tilt sensor to automate changing the image orientation, because this could be a killer feature for some people.

I found a tiny project called TiltStick. This is a tiny usb project that features a tilt sensor and is presented to the computer as a regular gamepad device (but needs a bit of recalibration for working properly), so there's not need of special drivers at all.

My idea is use a device like this or similar as a basis to the project. My computer monitor features a nice USB 2.0 hub (my CST L-TracX trackball works quite well there), so I would put it on one of the two left USB connectors or  one on the back of the monitor.

I use Linux, so I would need some kind of watchdog program that checks the tilt sensor and executes some xrandr command sequence if appropriate.

Anyway, it could be nice to know how to make this on other operating systems too. This way other people can benefit of this feature.

Any help is welcome, as I'm too n00b at computer programming :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2012, 04:38:41 by timofonic »