Author Topic: Sampling Rate Issue (I think?)  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Kinata

Sampling Rate Issue (I think?)
« on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:00:15 »
Hi, I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I came here for help with this one problem, and I know little to nothing about keyboards, but bear with me here if you will.

I am into a series of very high precision platformers. Most relevant to this thread is that the jump button is Shift, and the height that the character jumps is determined by how long I hold the Shift button. Because of the precise nature of these games, I need to have perfect control of the character's jumping height, and usually I have no problem. However, I have encountered a situation in one of these games where I am not able to get my character to jump the exact height I need him to. He either goes 1 pixel too high, or 2 pixels too low, never in between. I'm pretty sure the problem is that my keyboard won't register the exact amount of time of holding down shift that I need to.

I showed this problem to a friend of mine who knows more about computers, and he says the problem is probably that my keyboard's sampling rate is too low, preventing me from inputting the correct number of frames of shift. That sounds about right to me, though like I said I know nothing about keyboards and might be butchering the terminology completely.

Anyway, this is on a laptop and I think I'm using a PS/2 keyboard or something (not sure what that means, like everything else). I tried plugging in my desktop keyboard into my laptop and using that instead, and that didn't help. Do any of you guys know what I should do? Possible solutions could be: a program that increases sampling rate (assuming that is in fact the issue) for PS/2 keyboards, a program that adds a certain length of input every time I press a key, or, if I'm really desperate, a program that blatantly lets me type in the number of frames of input my keyboard provides (though that of course is crossing over into cheating, since it kind of ruins the point of precision games if a program handles the precision for me completely).

Thanks!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Sampling Rate Issue (I think?)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:11:19 »
If it's a PS/2 board, then sampling rate isn't your issue, as PS/2 is interrupt-base, and not sampled. That just means that the keyboard actually sends a signal to the computer, rather than the computer asking the keyboard about it's state repeatedly.

You could try using a USB keyboard and overclocking the USB port to achieve a higher rate (1000 samples/second is about the highest you can get, the standard is 125 samples/second). Google for "USB Overclocker", that should get you started.