Author Topic: Mad Catz Super Mouse  (Read 28776 times)

Offline joniho

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 14:30:56 »

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 14:32:59 »
I'm not too sure what's going on here, either, but in a weird way, I kinda like it.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 14:44:41 »
That doesn't really strike me to be ergonomic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2010, 19:40:05 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 14:49:59 »
I love it.  Haven't used it but I love the way it looks.   Function = fashionable.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline joniho

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 15:04:25 »
I have no clue what purpose these back knobs have, and the rectangular button-within-a-button back/forward buttons look like they require pinpoint precision to avoid misclicking.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 15:12:44 »
Quote from: kishy;148564
Problem is that it may not be terribly functional. Knowing the quality of their game controllers (which I'd refer to as low) it's quite possible the buttons will be difficult to press and usability may just be poor.

MadCatz did do a good job with their SSFIV controllers. They even used Sanwa parts for the button and joystick. They have a new CEO that wants to turn them around and get away from that "low quality" perception. Hopefully, this mouse is a step in the right direction.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 15:14:17 »
This looks like designed by a late-19th-century mechanical engineer who spent a little too much time watching Star Wars. In other words, 1337 g4m3rz are gonna love these monster rodents. If they work well, all the better, but consider yours truly in the "oh dear, that's really over the top" camp.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 15:53:35 »
Real metal knobs and red buttons FTW!

Offline joniho

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 16:03:23 »
From Gizmodo:

San Diego, January 06, 2010

Mad Catz® Interactive, Inc. (AMEX/TSX: MCZ), a leading worldwide third-party interactive entertainment accessory provider, today unveiled a new range of premium Cyborg gaming mice expected to begin shipping in Spring 2010.

"Cyborg is best known for ergonomic and fully adjustable flight sticks, gaming mice and keyboards. The new mouse range incorporates the same market leading design principles and applies them to gaming mice. For the first time ever on a mouse, the key points of contact between the gamer's hand and the mouse are fully adjustable allowing it to be customized for any grip preference" commented, Darren Richardson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz. "The Cyborg mouse range was developed entirely in house and I believe they are the most comfortable gaming mice you'll ever use. Besides, they just look cool!"

Following-up Darren Richardson said, "The addition of this line of mice bolsters Cyborg's strong gaming keyboard market presence and is a continuation of our strategy of developing products that evoke a passionate consumer response."

For a complete feature matrix, see the table at the end of the announcement. The gaming mice expected to ship as part of the range includes:

• Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Fully Adjustable; 5600dpi laser; Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $99.99 / £79.99 / €99.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Wireless, Fully Adjustable, 5600dpi laser; Programmable,; Weight System; Powered by Rechargeable Batteries
o MSRP: $129.99/ £99.99 / €129.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Gaming Mouse
o Features: Adjustable Length; 4000dpi laser, Programmable; Weight System; USB powered
o MSRP: $69.99/ £49.99 / €59.99

• Cyborg R.A.T. 3 Gaming Mouse
o Features: 3200dpi laser; USB powered
o MSRP: $49.99 / £34.99 / €49.99

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 16:21:50 »
Is it symmetrical? Looks not. Do they offer a sinister version? Probably not.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 19:41:41 »
Quote from: kishy;148570
I'd bet they pulled a Logitech and provided sensitivity adjustments. In this case, they may have done it properly with a knob instead of impossible to press tiny buttons.

The buttons on the side do also look a little demented though.

The whole thing looks demented. I'm sticking with my real computer mice.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline hyperlinked

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 01:17:01 »
I think those "knobs" that we're all befuddled about may actually be weights... or at least some of them might be weights rather than adjustment knobs. As for the button on button thing, I think it just looks like a button on top of a button from some angles. Hell if I know... but from the other angles, the "base button" looks like it just might be solid plastic.

As far as if something like this is ergonomic or not... just because it's really angular doesn't mean that it can't be ergonomic. Everyone associates curvy form fitting designs as "ergonomic" and in some cases they are, but if there are the right supports in the right spots, even something that looks very blocky can be ergonomic.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline YpoCaramel

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 02:11:25 »
Yes, it's quite the "gamer" look, which I'm not sure actually sell products honestly, but I like the exposed knobs idea. Changing the shape of the mouse? Naw - Logitech had the better idea, as far as I know, switching between a comfort grip and gaming claw grip. I'd rather those knobs fine tune sensitivity or zoom or anything else.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 06:16:30 »
I wish all product makers would take (simulated) shots after handling the product in realistic conditions for weeks.  I want see how potentially filthy these things could get.  Something more realistic than this, my simulation for sweaty-handed,  greasy-snack-eaters:

Note the high amount of potential dirt buildup areas.

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 07:53:54 »
Quote from: nanu;148774
I wish all product makers would take (simulated) shots after handling the product in realistic conditions for weeks.  I want see how potentially filthy these things could get.  Something more realistic than this, my simulation for sweaty-handed,  greasy-snack-eaters:
Show Image

Note the high amount of potential dirt buildup areas.

That photo looks like someone's been eating English muffins.

Offline Mental Hobbit

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 09:31:53 »
Honestly, design-wise I've seen worse. Much worse. And tons of that.

In the highly unlikely case that this thing was actually as solid inside as it looks from outside, I'd seriously consider getting one. I'm really tired of buying all these pieces of crap that need to be replaced every year - with yet another piece of the same crap.
Typing on blues.

Offline Shuki

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 12:02:26 »
It looks like one of those self-made trackballs that guy used to make.

Offline joniho

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 18:59:38 »

Offline o2dazone

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 19:28:57 »
Quote from: didjamatic;148787
That photo looks like someone's been eating English muffins.

haha

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 January 2010, 02:51:11 »
If I had a mouse like that, I'd find myself constantly saying 'I have you now!' in my deepest voice while fiddling with the knobs...
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline Kostamojen

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 January 2010, 20:30:03 »
If it adjusted its tilt angle I'd be all over it.  Thats the one big issue I had finding a new mouse.

But the fact the grip is so dramatically adjustable is awesome.  I'm just concerned how those alan bolts and such will effect how you grip the mouse.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 14:57:34 »
Here is more info on the Mad Catz mice.  In a nutshell: the styling is unique, but the build quality and features more than make up for it.  That, and just about everything is adjustable.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 15:22:58 »
Okay, it looks a bit weird, but...

- A metal chassis?
- It's Fully adjustable?
- A big rest for the pinky and thumb?
- A "sniper button" which reduces DPI as long you press it?

Sounds great... If the build quality is good, I'll probably get one!

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 January 2010, 15:27:07 »
Yeah, I'm actually excited about these now.  I might look into the best wired one when it comes out.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 18:27:32 »
Does that one have fake bass ports like all the others?

Offline In Stereo!

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 01:22:40 »
Why would they be fake? Is not that it is cheaper to make a closed bass reflex than an opened one. Fake bass reflex are just plain stupid.

Offline Ranma13

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 06:54:55 »
I'm definitely going to pick up one when it comes out. I've been looking for a decent mouse and so far they've all disappointed in one way or another. The custom adjustability is what really draws me to this one.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87U variable-weight, Filco Majestouch Brown Cherry Otaku, Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
Mice (trackball): CH DT225, IBM L40, CST LaserTRAC, Kensington Orbit
Mice (regular): Logitech G9, Steelseries Xai, Roccat Kova, Razer Orochi

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 09:24:16 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;151446
Why would they be fake? Is not that it is cheaper to make a closed bass reflex than an opened one. Fake bass reflex are just plain stupid.

I'm always puzzled about that too. But if you look at just about any newer stereo, it's got fake bass ports.

Offline Mental Hobbit

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 January 2010, 19:12:14 »
Bah, all right hand only designs, as usual.
Been trying for years to find an excuse to retire my 7€ Logitech mouse, but all other mice I got my hands on felt a lot worse.
Typing on blues.

Offline Langley

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 13:38:07 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;152517
Bah, all right hand only designs, as usual.
Been trying for years to find an excuse to retire my 7€ Logitech mouse, but all other mice I got my hands on felt a lot worse.

Support for us left-handers is gradually dying. Everyone is starting to assume that most of us with just switch over and it won't be a problem. The right-handers are going all Borg and trying to absorb us into their collective.

Offline In Stereo!

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 16:19:32 »
Most of the pointing devices I used or wated to use in the last few years, were all ambidextrous. Actually the first that is not, is the Marble FX which I purchased just last week.

Offline InSanCen

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 18:52:50 »
I quite like the look of that. Saying that, my Trike apparently looked like a Mad Max refugee.

I think I'll wait until I can get my hands on it for a feel. Wired version though, for me.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 March 2010, 11:52:13 »

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 March 2010, 11:58:18 »
BTW, I want.

Offline sggsix

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 March 2010, 13:02:01 »
I'm scared. Someone get me out of hiding when the terror is over.

Quote from: ripster;148610
Hmm... I cleared my Firefox cache and a nekked picture of Hermione appeared instead.

ahh...here it is
Show Image
HHKB Pro 2  (black)
Realforce 101 (white)
Unicomp Spacesaver Model M Russian Key Caps (pearl)
HHKB Lite 2 Japanese Key Caps (black)
HHKB Lite English Key Caps (white)

Offline hyperlinked

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 March 2010, 17:45:11 »
WTF! Does that thing come with an oxygen mask attachment?
http://saitek.com/uk/prod/cykeyv2.htm
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Half-Saint

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 11 March 2010, 08:06:55 »
It looks like a starship from battlestar galactica..
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline tom45678

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 23:48:06 »
I want one simply for the appearance. The contrast between the futurey cyborg mouse and the funky old model M makes me grin just thinking about it.

On a way more boring note, if it is as adjustable as it promises, ill look at one as a comfortable mouse does wonders for my dodgy wrist.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 14 March 2010, 23:52:12 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;148681
The whole thing looks demented. I'm sticking with my real computer mice.
Show Image

LOL. I actually have one of those mircosoft mice brand new. It has the grey scroll wheel and cord (it was advertised somewhere on windows 98).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 00:24:12 »
The Cyborg Rat seems to be a nice match to those black M13s that we all just bought up. I'll be sticking with my rocketfish though:

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 March 2010, 00:26:30 by nowsharing »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 11:54:35 »
I'm currently using a very comfortable Roccat Kone.
I'm surprised no one mentioned the HandshoeMouse yet.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 14:22:54 »
That mouse sure is plenty ergonomic.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 15:20:08 »
That mouse looks too fancy for me.  Any old trackball does it for me.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 15:22:41 »
Quote from: JaccoW;164173
Show Image

We have awhile back.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 17:44:08 »
Quote from: JaccoW;164173
I'm currently using a very comfortable Roccat Kone.
Show Image

It looks like a stringray...

Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;164209
That mouse looks too fancy for me.  Any old trackball does it for me.

I second that notion; anything too crazy doesn't work for me; or just feels akward. Plain beige!
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 18:36:20 »
The ledge would support the hand, enforcing the shoulder/arm motion over the wrist and finger.

The ergonomics actually resemble my favorite trackball enough to make me want one.

I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 10:49:03 »
Has anyone tried one of these yet?  A couple of the models are out now, and they look pretty interesting.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 10:55:05 »
That red mouse looks quite comfy.

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 11:02:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;203328
Has anyone tried one of these yet?  A couple of the models are out now, and they look pretty interesting.

The MadCatz or the HandShoe? I have the wired version of the MadCatz on order. Hasn't shipped yet.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 11:11:51 »
You know something that just popped into my head?

Imagine of somebody made a shoe that rolled and acted as a computer mouse. Kind of like a roller skate.