Author Topic: Mad Catz Super Mouse  (Read 28795 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 11:39:31 »
Interesting idea, but i think its a dud.  No one will want it.  You would need a hard surface on which to roll this "shoe-mouse" on, and alot of people have carpet in their computer areas.  Not to mention a very large mousepad.  And how would you click?  Your toes?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
bum knee
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 15:59:10 »
I tried operating a trackball w/ my foot and it resulted in achy knees after a week. I don't think our feet were meant to mouse around.

However, I don't think my knees would mind as much if the movement was limited to just up and down. Imagine separate rolling pins (or analog foot pedals/rockers) that controlled the mouse x/y-axis!
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline Lanx

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 16:14:30 »
This mouse has been given me issues for the past week (cutting into the time i have for modding my ms4k ergo/brown)
rather than rehash, i'll just post the [H] link i have with this mouse
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1484148&page=9

it starts off with driver issues, then madcatz rep logs on the forum and he just plays the rep game, rather than address the legitamate concerns and issues faced with this mouse.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:16:00 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;203333
The MadCatz or the HandShoe? I have the wired version of the MadCatz on order. Hasn't shipped yet.

My bad, I meant the MadCatz.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:16:00 »
Quote from: Lanx;203388
This mouse has been given me issues for the past week (cutting into the time i have for modding my ms4k ergo/brown)

it starts off with driver issues, then madcatz rep logs on the forum and he just plays the rep game, rather than address the legitamate concerns and issues faced with this mouse.

Just get an IBM Scrollpoint pro mouse. Lasts longer, better features, ergonomic, looks cool.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:37:58 »
Or a Microsoft Serial mouse 2.1A. They're very good mice too.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:54:33 »
mice are actually in the realm where these old things... aren't great, no model m type things here, the newer the better. Well currently design issues aside, no one is going to go back to ball mice.

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 19:03:19 »
It's fun to use older technology and experience the durability, and nice build quality in comparison to modern peripherals. However, ergonomics does factor into the choice of pointing devices.

The problem I have with mice in general is they're always too narrow. Gripping these narrow mice causes my thumb and pinkie to stay in a cramped position. Over long periods of time, this can cause cramps, pain, and RSI. I can relax my pinkie and use my ring finger to grip the right side of the mouse. The pinkie is then dragging on the mouse surface. I have the tendency to curl my pinkie to tuck it out of the way. Over time, that has caused pain in my pinkie joint.

Considering all this, the adjustability of the MadCatz mouse is very appealing to me. I'm hoping it has sufficient width adjustments to alleviate the hand cramping and pinkie stress of narrower mice. Of course, the MadCatz mouse should at least triple my frag ratio and increase my geek cred and improve life in general. :biggrin:
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline morffius

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 19:32:54 »
Quote from: Lanx;203388

I've had mine for about a week now, and I agree with most all of the complaints other people have had so far (Thumb rest pivot is in the wrong place, no mouse foot on the pinky rest, twineye sensor stuff). Luckily, I haven't had any driver problems though.

I dont remember where I read it, if it was here or there, but there was an awesome thread on mice tracking and different surfaces. I knew that pretty much the only pad that works well with the twineye was the SX, so I got that on day 1 too.

It was a hefty investment, but i have huge hands and I am really enjoying the mouse. Is it worth all that money, eh, probably not.

PS: That rep's responses were utter nonsense.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:37:54 »
Quote from: Lanx;203460
mice are actually in the realm where these old things... aren't great, no model m type things here, the newer the better. Well currently design issues aside, no one is going to go back to ball mice.

The mouse wheel is very old, and a rather poor piece of technology -- which is why I prefer IBM's scrollpoint. I never particularly enjoyed mouse wheels, only scroll in one direction, can hurt your finger's joint after awhile etc.

And the L40 can do lots of things that other mice can't.

Many people still use ball mice. I have two ball mice and two optical mice. Best of both worlds.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 16:47:42 »
With ball mice, you need to make sure you've got a good one. Bad ones get dirty fast and get poor tracking. That's why I like the old Microsoft Serial mouse so much--the mouse never needs to be cleaned and works great and reliably.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 17:07:39 »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 17:13:13 »
Now that's a neat concept.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 17:19:49 »
Quote from: didjamatic;204210

"This video was brought you buy"

Wow, they wrote "buy" instead of "by", now THAT'S pretty bad. English is decaying faster than a molding corpse left out in the sun covered with fruit and sewer extract.

If there's a way to incorporate resizeable mice in a more ergonomic fashion, I'm sure it could be profitable.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 17:23:34 »
I think they used "buy" for more of a corny joke.

Offline mcbrite

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 10:33:21 »
lol at that mouse with resizing motor... that's the dumbest thing I ever saw...

You adjust it ONCE in the lifetime of the mouse to fit your hand.... Yeah, so why not put an electric motor in it for that ONE adjustment the day you buy it and have it lie dormant for the years to come...

NOTHING but gimmicky bull****...

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 10:55:02 »
Quote from: mcbrite;204817
lol at that mouse with resizing motor... that's the dumbest thing I ever saw...

You adjust it ONCE in the lifetime of the mouse to fit your hand.... Yeah, so why not put an electric motor in it for that ONE adjustment the day you buy it and have it lie dormant for the years to come...

NOTHING but gimmicky bull****...

Maybe people use different mousing techniques based on task that might warrant frequent resizing (gaming vs. work vs. art, for example).  It might be a little gimmicky, but I can see where it would have it's advantages.  I think you are thinking in a paradigm of how you and perhaps others might use an ordinary mouse today not how you would use a mouse with this feature. I, for one, would be more apt to resize my mouse based on task if it were motorized and fairly quick, especially if it had presets like my car seats. Ordinary, mice are not ergonomic for all uses/techniques; this would help correct some of that.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 11:29:36 »
Quote from: itlnstln;204819
Maybe people use different mousing techniques based on task that might warrant frequent resizing (gaming vs. work vs. art, for example).  It might be a little gimmicky, but I can see where it would have it's advantages.  I think you are thinking in a paradigm of how you and perhaps others might use an ordinary mouse today not how you would use a mouse with this feature. I, for one, would be more apt to resize my mouse based on task if it were motorized and fairly quick, especially if it had presets like my car seats. Ordinary, mice are not ergonomic for all uses/techniques; this would help correct some of that.

Same here...
Would be also useful if more than one person uses the mouse!

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 11:38:28 »
Some of us with RSI like change and being able to preprogram the shape of your mouse so it can be easily changed throughout the day could be a benefit.  But I've never used one personally.  I keep 2 mice plugged in and rotate.

Offline mcbrite

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 12:29:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;204819

Load'a'bollocks... A carseat weighs ****ing 50 kilos...

You could adjust it in 1 second flat... instead of waiting for 5 seconds...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 21:11:18 »
Quote from: didjamatic;204826
Some of us with RSI like change and being able to preprogram the shape of your mouse so it can be easily changed throughout the day could be a benefit.  But I've never used one personally.  I keep 2 mice plugged in and rotate.

But a much cheaper approach to RSI is to use a variety of mice, which you DON'T HAVE TO PAY A FORTUNE FOR. Just alternete between a few mice of different shapes, trackpoint, a touchpad, and a trackball.

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 02:18:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;205108
But a much cheaper approach to RSI is to use a variety of mice, which you DON'T HAVE TO PAY A FORTUNE FOR. Just alternete between a few mice of different shapes, trackpoint, a touchpad, and a trackball.

Well if you get RSI in the first place, you're either not taking enough breaks, eating bad, or should just get more rest.

I remember when I fell on my wrist, I couldn't use the computer for a week. I was fine with that. That was when I had my custom built win 98 rig (I greeted XP with much wroth).

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:08:43 »
Quote from: mcbrite;204848

1. What has weight to do with it?

2. 1 second? You know that there are seats with  more* than the forward/backward slide adjusting, don't you?

* Adjustable height, adjustable backrest angle, adjustable width, adjustable softness, adjustable headrest... not to mention adjustable steering wheels :P

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:16:20 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;205231
1. What has weight to do with it?

2. 1 second? You know that there are seats with  more* than the forward/backward slide adjusting, don't you?

* Adjustable height, adjustable backrest angle, adjustable width, adjustable softness, adjustable headrest... not to mention adjustable steering wheels :P

This.

Myopic troll is myopic.

Offline mcbrite

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 08:36:28 »
Whatever, if you don't get why that's ridiculously idiotic, I don't give a ****...

My new years resolution was to argue less with idiots... Continue...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 09:57:58 »
Whatever, if you don't get why this could be useful, I don't give a ****...

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 July 2010, 10:01:49 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 10:35:22 »
You don't have many friends, do you?  It must be hard finding people that share all of your opinions.  Everybody else is just an idiot.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 10:59:21 »
Let me get this strait--You all are arguing over CAR SEATS?

Offline didjamatic

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 11:18:44 »
Don't even get him started on pacifiers.

Offline gr1m

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 12:02:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;205269
Let me get this strait--You all are arguing over CAR SEATS?

Straight*.

Quote from: mcbrite;204848

If your point is "carseats are ****ing heavy and they can be adjusted so easily, why does this mouse take so ****ing long to do it", because carseats are big and heavy, they can fit much bigger and more powerful motors in it to adjust it. Rest assured that you can't fit a carseat-adjusting motor into a handheld mouse that runs off USB power.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 11:16:20 »
I'm sorry. I never was the best speller on the planet.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 07:07:43 »
OK, let me refine my question a bit.  How is the Mad Catz R.A.T. as a regular mouse (feel, scrolling, etc.)?  I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about software, drivers, etc.  I am more of an Excel jockey.   Do these have a "tilt wheel" for horizontal scrolling?

Offline hyperlinked

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 08:58:14 »
Quote from: mcbrite;205237

That is terribly unfortunate for you. If I were you, I'd argue exclusively with idiots. Those are the only debates you'll have any chance of winning with your kind of attitude.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 09:04:15 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;206556
That is terribly unfortunate for you. If I were you, I'd argue exclusively with idiots. Those are the only debates you'll have any chance of winning with your kind of attitude.

Well done.

Offline YpoCaramel

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 21:52:56 »
Arstechnica has a article up now. Quite enthusiastic too, actually.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 23:07:16 »
You oughta see it in person. Mine just got here. It's very smooth and basic driver install went through windows update on Win7 Ultimate. I'll wait a bit before installing the software bundle. Need to look for an updated bundle online first. A minor complaint is lack of teflon foot on extended pinkie rest like I read someone else complain about. It's easily & cheaply enough remedied. I would like better width adjustment. It's plenty wide for my oversized hands. Overall, you could do a lot worse for $100 mouse. Is is it worth it? That's for you to decide before you plunk down the cash. I'm wanting the wireless version now. I'm about to dive into some BF2 action and test it out on some poor, unsuspecting soul.

Offline Lanx

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 23:46:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;206528
OK, let me refine my question a bit.  How is the Mad Catz R.A.T. as a regular mouse (feel, scrolling, etc.)?  I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about software, drivers, etc.  I am more of an Excel jockey.   Do these have a "tilt wheel" for horizontal scrolling?

the scroll is slow, quite possibly the slowest scroll i have ever used, and you cannot adjust or reprogram the scroll. This can be remedied, there is a thumb scroll and i set it to pgdn pgup and that works really well.

no tilt wheel, actually i don't believe tilt is a feature really anymore in most any gaming mouse. Though you could prolly just program the thumbwheel or other buttons for ctrl+arrow right (to skip far ahead to the right in excel) or something like that.

i'm off and on with this mouse constantly, it cannot give me the pixel precision i want like my death adder can, it just seems to drift 10pixels or so. I'm not even using it for gaming it's purely work based.

I'm still hoping drivers and such will make the eye better or some kind of firmware update.

Offline itlnstln

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 07:29:25 »
I might get the R.A.T. 7.  I think the thumb scroll might be better than the tilt wheel for horizontal scrolling since there is better precision.  The tilt wheel doesn't really do a "true" scroll, and sometimes, that causes problems with precision.

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 12:49:21 »
I've never utilized the tilt wheel on a mouse that had that functionality built in.

I'm still using the basic driver for the MadCatz RAT 7 and it works like your basic 5 button mouse. The thumb scroll must need the software bundle to enable it. I'm not experiencing any slow scroll or pixel precision issues. The scroll is adjustable through the regular mouse control panel applet on the wheel tab.

I'm happy with it thus far.

Offline gr1m

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 12:50:55 »
It actually doesn't seem overly long. Smaller than my G500 in fact, when compared to the numpad in the picture you posted. Wide as hell though.

Offline Lanx

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 12:58:46 »
Quote from: gr1m;207529
It actually doesn't seem overly long. Smaller than my G500 in fact, when compared to the numpad in the picture you posted. Wide as hell though.

thats with the pinky holder attached.

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 13:45:24 »
more photos, sans pinkie holder

rear extended, compared to MS wireless mouse

compared to Razer Copperhead

rear extended, next to numpad

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 21:45:48 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;207541
more photos, sans pinkie holder

Compare it to a scrollpoint pro. :panda:

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 23:16:06 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;207693
Compare it to a scrollpoint pro. :panda:

next to the scrollpoint pro :panda:

it sez so on teh bottom :panda:

Offline EverythingIBM

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 30 July 2010, 03:49:24 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;207716
next to the scrollpoint pro :panda:

Your writing is actually fairly neat.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 10:13:53 »
What kind of trackball is that in the post above EIBM's?

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 12:33:17 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;208145
What kind of trackball is that in the post above EIBM's?

You're kidding, right? It's a Microsoft Trackball Explorer, the best trackball on the planet. Unfortunately, out of production.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 12:45:09 »
Especially Chimera. That guy had some fun opinions about the MS TBE...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 15:51:52 »
Quote from: ripster;208183
3,124 [strike]trolls[/strike] posts

Hypocrite...

Offline d4rkst4r

Mad Catz Super Mouse
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 01 August 2010, 16:28:33 »
The weights are removable.