Author Topic: Numpad / Tenkey Recommendations  (Read 2667 times)

Offline bachamn

• Forming the Beast
Numpad / Tenkey Recommendations
« on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 15:31:23 »
Hey everyone, first time poster currently awaiting the arrival of my first mechanical board since the 80's (Filco Majestouch 2 Convertible TKL). While I prefer the compact size, I also recognize that I use the tenkey quite a bit at work so I'm looking for one to keep at the office. I saw this question in a few threads, but the latest I could find was from a few years back so I wanted to check for an update.

A little research narrowed my choices down to either the Filco Numpad or the Leopold 210TP, but both were identified by members here a few years ago as sending non-standard numpad codes. However, I saw a few mentions that "newer" stock 210TPs were sending the correct codes, and since it's been a few years I'm curious if this is still the case?

The Filco one I believe was said to do some sort of numlock toggle that allows it to send the correct numpad codes, but I wasn't clear on exactly how this would affect my abilities to bind macro functions to the numpad keys in a Windows environment. IIRC someone said it would cause issues with Linux/Mac.

The Topre 23U looks quite nice but I'm not eager to drop $100+ on a numpad (yet...)  :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Numpad / Tenkey Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 15:34:29 »
Why didn't you just buy a full size keyboard?

As far as what send numberpad scancodes versus number row I'd say it's going to be a guessing game at best.

Also for your next keyboard might I recommend a Leopold FC980 model? best of both worlds.

Offline Hund

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 15:37:39 »
Why didn't you just buy a full size keyboard?

As far as what send numberpad scancodes versus number row I'd say it's going to be a guessing game at best.

The most common reason for a TKL is the extra space for their mouse.
Change is not always progress.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 16:14:13 »
I'm happily rocking a 65% + trackball + numberpad combo with the trackball situated in between the other 2.  Lets me keep my trackball closer for most of my work (as I use it far more than the number pad), but I have full functionality if I need to do data entry.  I'd never go back to a full sized keyboard myself.  For the numberpad, I'm using an old variety Leopold 210TP with the number row scan codes, but as I just use it for entering numbers and not macros, it works perfectly fine for that.  Excellent build quality.

I've also heard good things about the Varmilo VA21M / VA22M.  It's available at a few places, including Massdrop at times.  You can also get one by emailing their rep Cynthia and dealing with Varmilo directly.  There's some info in the Vendor Forums.  Also a longer thread on reddit.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85232.0
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/57rohx/varmilo_va22m/

Offline bachamn

• Forming the Beast
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 12:23:50 »
Thanks all, a bit disappointed to hear the Leo situation wasn't resolved; I guess I misunderstood and it's the older models that were sending the correct codes then?

In truth I could probably get away with that one as well, codes notwithstanding. But on principle I'm wary of buying something that I know has an issue that could potentially limit future use scenarios (e.g. if I end up getting another Macbook in the future)

I appreciate the additional recommendation on the varmilo though, I'll look into it.  :thumb:

As far as reasoning goes for buying TKL, yeah it's mostly about space (I have a standing desk at work with limited surface area) and portability. I landed on the Filco as I was looking for a wireless board that I could also use for my living room at home. I do not have a desk with a PC at home; rather I've connected my PC to the TV and pull a small table in front of it if I want to do any long term gaming or editing work. Most of the time though just use it as a media center so the KB ends up in my lap or the coffee table.

I've also just always kind of liked the idea of having a separate numpad peripheral device, particularly in gaming scenarios (in which case, not having the proper numkey codes would be an issue)

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 11:47:18 »
it's the older models that were sending the correct codes then?

I think you were right the first time.  The original production run of Leopold 210TP produced the same scan codes as the numbers keys above the alpha keys on a typical keyboard.  (I have one that was purchased in the fall of 2014 and I can confirm this.)  Starting a couple (?) of years ago, there were rumours that there was now a different version in production that produced the same scancodes as the tenkey codes as typically found on the right side of a full size keyboard.  I haven't really been following those stories too close, but it seems to be more myth than reality.  Most threads related to it seem to revolve around people ordering 210TP, wanting the tenkey code output and venting when they don't get it.

If you for sure want the tenkey codes, I'd just stay away.  Having said that, the 210TP is a very nice numberpad and if you're just vaguely thinking you might possibly need those tenkey codes the odd time in the future, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to discount it over a futuristic maybe.

If you're just thinking of doing macros (and you're in the Windows world), hidmacros used to be able to distinguish different physical keyboards, despite the same scan codes.  It's been several years since I used hidmacros, but it worked well for me when I did.  The developer has since moved on to a new (but similar) project called LuaMacros, so I'm not really sure what the status of it all is, but it might be something to keep in mind if you really want both the 210TP and macros.

Offline yellowfour

• Balanced Effortless Advanced Keyboard Layouts
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 02:19:10 »
just use autohotkey to reassign keys to spit out numbers and macros. e.g. tell autohotkey that if NumLock is down, this key should type this number instead. as for macros, autohotkey is second to none.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 21:57:52 »
This might be good information for you, but I too USED to use a tenkey on the left, but now I use a macropad on the left. This happened after I stumbled on a Genovation ControlPad that was originally used for a POS(connected over USB), but it was no different than the consumer pads which has reprogramming software from Genovation.
This not only gave me my 10 key functionality, but it also holds a ton of extra macro keys, and can be used as a complete keyboard replacement for gaming. My particular version had MX-blacks, and I think they all do, but I would recommend a macro pad, even if you go with something else. Might as well get the most out of the extra desk clutter.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh