Author Topic: What I want in a trackball  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
What I want in a trackball
« on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 01:24:42 »
I like my DT225 from the ebay blowout, but it has some limits.  Every affordable trackball seems crippled to some sense.  I desire four real buttons, so the DT225 in PS/2 dies, and a wheel, which several of the cheap Kensingtons lack.  I also strongly like a left-handed-friendly layout, so the Logitechs are out.  Do I need a $125 Kensington or CST to be happy?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 02:35:16 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;180602
Do I need a $125 Kensington or CST to be happy?

Yeah, pretty much.

Unless you want to try one of the many Sanwas, but they are Japan special. And build quality is beyond cheap. They however are affordable (if you can get your hands on one).
Linky for some Sanwas.

Not really an option an option to 98% of the community though. And really you should just suck up and buy a CST or Kennsington.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2010, 02:58:11 by HaaTa »
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 09:26:15 »
I'd say it's worth the price. I haven't (yet) used a CST, but the Kensington is very nice for someone who grew up on a DT225, even if it lacks that same build quality.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 11:27:11 »
You should be able to pick up the Kensington for cheap.

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 14:40:38 »
Is anyone here using the Kensington Orbit Optical? I'd like to purchase one as it is a really simple and inexpensive trackball, but I'm not really sure if I can handle it being called after some chewing gum brand. Where could I find it's resolution?
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:39:19 by In Stereo! »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 15:53:36 »
The Kensington Orbit Optical's resolution is adequate for large screens - I'd guess around 800dpi, or maybe a bit more. But having just two buttons and no scroll wheel got old real quick.

It was a relief when I plugged in my Logitech Trackman Marble in its place. Two extra buttons makes a world of difference. Similar price but more functionality makes the Logitech a better choice IMO.

If the rumour of a new model CST with extra buttons and even higher resolution is true, then I think we have a clear winner. The trackball has caught up with the 21st century.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:01:12 by Rajagra »

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:43:47 »
The difference between your position and mine is availability of the given products. The Logitech Marble would cost me twice as much as the Kensington Orbit Optical does. So the Marble does have two  extra buttons; one being the middle click and the other one maybe 'back'?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:57:28 »
Mine are set to Back  and Scroll, not sure what they default to without drivers loaded. (Setpoint was already on my PCs when I got mine.)
Shop prices are probably different, but on ebay they seem to go for similar amounts.

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:37:54 »
Nah, don't want the Orbit anymore. Only now I realised how small and chubby it actually is.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 21:06:21 »
Quote from: HaaTa;180609
Yeah, pretty much.

Unless you want to try one of the many Sanwas, but they are Japan special. And build quality is beyond cheap. They however are affordable (if you can get your hands on one).
Linky for some Sanwas.

Not really an option an option to 98% of the community though. And really you should just suck up and buy a CST or Kennsington.

That Sanwa looks ideal-- the red one.  [looks at Y1,400 of coins on desk]
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 21:25:28 »
I can't remember if I saw the red one or not. Though they do come in some different colours I believe. The Sanwas are pretty easy to find in Akihabara, most shops with a decent mouse section will carry a bunch of their trackballs.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline xsubwayeatfleshx

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 July 2010, 15:04:37 »
Quote from: Rajagra;182104
The Kensington Orbit Optical's resolution is adequate for large screens - I'd guess around 800dpi, or maybe a bit more. But having just two buttons and no scroll wheel got old real quick.

It was a relief when I plugged in my Logitech Trackman Marble in its place. Two extra buttons makes a world of difference. Similar price but more functionality makes the Logitech a better choice IMO.

If the rumour of a new model CST with extra buttons and even higher resolution is true, then I think we have a clear winner. The trackball has caught up with the 21st century.

It's intriguing to see how opinions on Logitech drastically change when jumping from the keyboard forum to the pointing devices board.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 00:35:19 »
Quote from: xsubwayeatfleshx;206312
It's intriguing to see how opinions on Logitech drastically change when jumping from the keyboard forum to the pointing devices board.

That's probably because Logitech's mice are quality, but their keyboards are cheap rubber dome affairs and their joysticks are also cheap crap (unless it's the old WingMan Interceptor or the G940, but I've heard some issues about the latter). The only other generally quality devices I can think of from Logitech are from their 3dconnexion division, which was once Spacetec.

Anyway, it's too bad that the CH DT225 doesn't have a wheel of any sort, though I don't mind it quite as much on mine because it's USB, and thus I can use Control Manager Scripting to work around it and also set up chorded button mappings to get around the lack of physical buttons. Quite possibly the most programmable trackball on the market...