Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 527897 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:11:46 »
as its going to happen anyway though

you can check out this

http://puu.sh/ic5oH/a085171a1c.png

those were the final paid orders at gb close at the top

and total orders at the bottom

i have a fwe people paying delayed invoices, and i havent added what im gonna purchase yet but itll be somewhere between the graphs, but the top one is fairly accurate
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #451 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:18:19 »
matt3o any chance the final order numbers are going to be published soon ?

you are lucky matteo said yes, because i never give that info up hehe

lol :D
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:53:04 »

you can check out this

i have a fwe people paying delayed invoices, and i havent added what im gonna purchase yet but itll be somewhere between the graphs, but the top one is fairly accurate

Kind of surprised Retro Burgundy did so much better than True Retro.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #453 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:55:36 »
im glad afterall its a very rare set .. thanks for showing the graph

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 11:59:20 »
A little less than 250 of these sets out there?  I feel a little bit more special :D

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:02:22 »
matt3o any chance the final order numbers are going to be published soon ?

as soon as I get them

you can check out this

Really interesting to see the numbers for True Retro. I can't wait for mine  :thumb:

Offline pkircher

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:17:27 »
thats going to be the longest 8-12 weeks of my life .. > im a amazon prime member for a good reasion .. feel like a child waiting on chrismas SOOOOO LONG

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #457 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:25:38 »
I'm wondering how the new keyshop is going to shift the keycap dynamics, I have a feeling we might all feel less special once it kicks in, it might dilute the market significantly

I ended up going for a True Retro + Burgundy duo with all mods, no regrets

I also asked SP for a 1.75/1.25 R4 printed arrow cluster quote, if it turns out to be feasible, I might end up using the Retro set for a long time with all my prospective 60%/65%/75% layouts

-----

Well the quote just arrived this moment, it's quite hefty, very hefty, I was thinking of going for 5-6 alternatives to select from, it seems I will have just one shot at $100+ for 4 keys :) (which is not unreasonable, but hefty)

- One possibility is having "UP"/"LEFT" etc. - another one is arrow/nudges similar to the original 1u arrow keys - I used to enjoy the text versions with the Dolch DSA - but with an 60% usage, the arrows could be better - as it would better distinguish the arrows from the other 60% keys
- Another option is the color, http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/absgray.jpg - GTM is an official color but it seems a bit risky, GY seems firmer

This is the layout http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/85b9345f838e66e59e9769302b9d9a0c - it will be all True Retro, with VAV Esc, and maybe VAV Enter too - the arrow cluster will have a different color to distinguish itself

I would really appreciate ideas to help me select, and maybe if there are other 60% right arrow cluster users out there, we might get a micro-GB going on
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline pkircher

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:28:16 »
if you read about the keyshop items carefully .. they need to have permission from the owners .. if matt3o does not sign the royality deal they cant do that ..

legaly thats just for the groupbuys they do ..

not a lawyer but the creative rights are still at matt
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:33:08 by pkircher »

Offline flamf

« Reply #459 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:33:05 »
To the passion going into this from organisers and creators:

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #460 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:43:27 »
if you read about the keyshop items carefully .. they need to have permission from the owners .. if matt3o does not sign the royality deal they cant do that ..

legaly thats just for the groupbuys they do ..

not a lawyer but the creative rights are still at matt

I know that, but currently, group buys are scarce, SA keycaps are extremely rare, even DSA's are rarities, and that makes me feel special, likely others too

With this proposed/new 200 vote + production system, that will no longer be the case, so the Retro set won't run again, but many others will

The main issue is the addiction, I probably have 10 D/SA keycap sets, when they become easily available, my buyer's remorse will likely peak - at least currently this scarcity is easing the remorse

Offline mesteris

« Reply #461 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:34:08 »
I think your keycap sets will probably still retain much of their value despite PMK's new system. What I bet is likely to happen is that new interest checks for different keysets will be produced initially, like Carbon. Keep in mind they only produce a certain number of sets still with each run. They will consider reruns though, they have not specified on what sets. Part of me thinks that they will only rerun the new sets that include the royalty agreement.

edit: unless you're just sad about the DSA/SA profiles becoming more available
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:45:14 by mesteris »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:19:02 »
I said I won't run SA Round 2 (or DSA Round 2) and I stick to that. Actually none of my sets got a round 2 except for Granite (that got 3).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:20:57 »
I think your keycap sets will probably still retain much of their value despite PMK's new system. What I bet is likely to happen is that new interest checks for different keysets will be produced initially, like Carbon. Keep in mind they only produce a certain number of sets still with each run. They will consider reruns though, they have not specified on what sets. Part of me thinks that they will only rerun the new sets that include the royalty agreement.

LOL @ thinking that buying keycap sets is an investment.

Offline mesteris

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:25:22 »

https://www.google.com/#q=DEFINE:+VALUE
Never said they were investments. Value has multiple definitions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:32:41 by mesteris »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:28:21 »

It's not really about whether one thinks it's an investment or not, but it's more related to addictions and buyer's remorse

It feels good when things increase in value rather then their value becoming 0 right after you buy it

A great example is Lego's

If you had one of these in your attic in sealed condition, waiting for the right time to open and build it, and suddenly lego would decide to re-run them, you would probably be devastated even if you're not in it for the money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-10179-Millennium-Falcon-UCS-New-SEALED-/201364579906

Offline efcs

• Fast Computer Solutions.com
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:30:57 »
I'm also surprised True Retro only sold half as much as Retro Burgundy.

Isn't True Retro more loyal to the C64 look?  :)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #467 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:35:53 »

I would be extremely surprised if it was the other way around, if you're using a standard layout, having the modifiers in a different color is visually pleasing, likely many of the buyers are in it for the keycaps rather than the C64-likeness

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #468 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:42:22 »

I would be extremely surprised if it was the other way around, if you're using a standard layout, having the modifiers in a different color is visually pleasing, likely many of the buyers are in it for the keycaps rather than the C64-likeness

I prefer having only a few keys colored differently, like enter and maybe escape. I went with true retro, lime, petscii, and the alt. functions.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #469 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:54:36 »

I prefer having only a few keys colored differently, like enter and maybe escape. I went with true retro, lime, petscii, and the alt. functions.

For some reason I can't even handle the enter, it will probably be only Esc in green for me, adding the green Enter just makes it too asymmetrical for my taste, but I will try again with the Retro set (with Eve's blue Esc and Enter, this was the case for me, I ended up not using the blue Enter)

------

102735-0

For my custom arrow keys order/plan I reduced the possible colors to GPA and TBN - using "UP"/"LEFT"/"DOWN"/"RIGHT" as phrases instead of the arrow icons

TBN is a safe bet, especially if I decide to use the green Enter, or decide to go for an all TBN selection
GPA would pull the colorbalance to a more dark gray place, which is what I want, however if I decide to use the green enter, it could be too distracting, or the opposite could happen too, it could break the asymmetry that the green enter brings

Currently, I will probably end up ordering the arrow keys in both colors, as I can't seem to decide, one has to see the colors/keycaps in person / test them, since that's impossible, the safe and costly bet is to get them both
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:56:36 by KHAANNN »

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #470 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 15:51:08 »
I also asked SP for a 1.75/1.25 R4 printed arrow cluster quote, if it turns out to be feasible, I might end up using the Retro set for a long time with all my prospective 60%/65%/75% layouts

-----

Well the quote just arrived this moment, it's quite hefty, very hefty, I was thinking of going for 5-6 alternatives to select from, it seems I will have just one shot at $100+ for 4 keys :) (which is not unreasonable, but hefty)

- One possibility is having "UP"/"LEFT" etc. - another one is arrow/nudges similar to the original 1u arrow keys - I used to enjoy the text versions with the Dolch DSA - but with an 60% usage, the arrows could be better - as it would better distinguish the arrows from the other 60% keys
- Another option is the color, http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/absgray.jpg - GTM is an official color but it seems a bit risky, GY seems firmer

This is the layout http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/85b9345f838e66e59e9769302b9d9a0c - it will be all True Retro, with VAV Esc, and maybe VAV Enter too - the arrow cluster will have a different color to distinguish itself

I would really appreciate ideas to help me select, and maybe if there are other 60% right arrow cluster users out there, we might get a micro-GB going on

If you end up starting a group buy put me down as interested. I've got an infinity coming from the most recent massdrop and if I end up using it at home I think I may end up using those keys as arrows too.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #471 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 22:56:39 »
I said I won't run SA Round 2 (or DSA Round 2) and I stick to that. Actually none of my sets got a round 2 except for Granite (that got 3).

So happy to be a part of this one then...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 04:07:03 »

-----

If you end up starting a group buy put me down as interested. I've got an infinity coming from the most recent massdrop and if I end up using it at home I think I may end up using those keys as arrows too.

After seeing this rendering(?) of a C64 replica: http://hothardware.com/news/living-fossil--new-commodore-64-trades-on-nostalgia

I guess I might go for TBN-only arrows with arrow nudges in 1.75/1.25 - diluting the keyset with another color seems like blasphemy and arrow nudges look great :)

It might have been good if a TBN R1 Esc was included too - I'm sure I would've used the VAV one anyway, yet it would be great to get a full retro thing going on with 60%'s

FuriousGeorge, I don't think I can gather enough interested parties/handle the logistics for a group buy-ish thing, yet if you would be willing to spend ~100$ on a 1.75/1.25 arrow cluster, let me know, we can order together and handle the logistics later on, same applies for anyone else ($100+ is for 4 keys one set, I'm not sure how lower it gets with increased sets, but it gets lower as I'm told)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #473 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 23:28:32 »

MassDrop owns your Granite's now Matt  :o .

Good to make your key-sets highly rare so that it doesn't become another boring key-set that was made a million times over.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #474 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 23:43:48 »

MassDrop owns your Granite's now Matt  :o .

Good to make your key-sets highly rare so that it doesn't become another boring key-set that was made a million times over.

Agreed. The rarity adds to the excitement of the actual set. I only stumbled upon my dsa retro set this month after years of searching for a good deal. Unfortunately still searching for the dsa retro green esc key but it's part of the fun.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #475 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 00:58:12 »
Agreed. The rarity adds to the excitement of the actual set.

Remember that movie called A.I., when in the far future the whole of planet Earth was covered in ice and within that giant glacial tomb, aliens arrive to dig and thaw out remnants of our long dead culture.

The aliens come across a rusting robot typing with a strange looking input device, to their surprise Matt3o's Retro Key-set is gleaming up at them.  Imagine to their astonishment, in finding the absolute LAST data input device created by these ancient beings (us), a curiously coloured key-set that signifies our brightest achievement for the last four thousand years of our existence.

Suspect this last remaining key-set would fetch a nice price back in the Andromeda Galaxy  :thumb: .

Offline rickyhobby

« Reply #476 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 03:21:11 »

I really see this as two different sets that were ran together.  Each on their own would have resulted in good sales.

True Retro (and PETSCII) was faithful to the C-64 and deserved the hype of the signature banners.

Retro Burgundy (in my opinion) didn't have a retro feel, but was an awesome colour combination.  Plus, the fact that it was round 2 (sorta... SA vs DSA) gave it a pre-demand (if you will).

So comparing them to each other is (half) like apples to oranges.  I think that there were separate buyers for each.  I was one (true retro...)

Rick
Cherry blue 104 w/1976 SA | Cherry red 87 w/Dolch DSA

Offline flamf

« Reply #477 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:19:55 »

I really see this as two different sets that were ran together.  Each on their own would have resulted in good sales.

Rick

That's also a bit how I feel, which makes it a (small) issue only having the Lime Enter key for my ISO True Retro set.
Now, I gather there is a bit of interest in having some special keys made separately following this, any chance of including the missing Enter key(s) in that, in order for us few ISO folks to complete the True and Burgundy looks?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #478 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:26:42 »

Rick

That's also a bit how I feel, which makes it a (small) issue only having the Lime Enter key for my ISO True Retro set.
Now, I gather there is a bit of interest in having some special keys made separately following this, any chance of including the missing Enter key(s) in that, in order for us few ISO folks to complete the True and Burgundy looks?

I haven't noticed that, you can get one from SP for 100$'s / 99.99% - as 100$'s is their minimum order amount, and I'm guessing SA ISO Enter key is an expensive key to one-off

After you mentioned it, I noticed that it's possible to achieve true True Retro on ANSI with Alternate Function's R1 Esc, for some reason I didn't realise this before

After doing a lot of thinking on how I would use this keyset, I might have bought 2x True Retro + Pro Mods instead of the True Retro + Burgundy combo, but given that I change my keycap ideas almost weekly, I guess I might use the Burgundy one in the future

Offline flamf

« Reply #479 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:35:24 »
So if I understand correctly, 100$ + ship would buy me the ISO-enter key straight of the manufacturer? That's expensive, sure, but by no means unreasonable and I would definitely consider that.

Offline flamf

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:36:22 »
And excuse my ignorance, but would that be alright with the designer, Matt3o?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #481 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:42:56 »
So if I understand correctly, 100$ + ship would buy me the ISO-enter key straight of the manufacturer? That's expensive, sure, but by no means unreasonable and I would definitely consider that.

My 4 custom arrow keys are going to cost 110$-something, the 1.75 one is 49$-something, the 1.25's are 19$-something's - If the 1.75 one is 49$'s - the ISO Enter should be close to 100$'s - this is speculation - but you are right

I think this flexility is great, I wish I did the same for the DSA sets I bought earlier, they all had minor flaws that made them imperfect/unusable for me, some didn't have the 1.25CMD keys, some didn't have a decent 1.75 key, none of them had a 1.75 arrow cluster etc.

Make sure you specify exactly what you want when you are asking for a SP quote, like 1x "ISO R3 Enter in TBN with WCK legends" etc.

I'm wondering how much an entire 60% set costs, likely it's 500$++
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:45:34 by KHAANNN »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #482 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:44:17 »
And excuse my ignorance, but would that be alright with the designer, Matt3o?

+1 :)

I didn't ask for explicit permissions, but I hope/d he is ok with it (?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 06:47:38 by KHAANNN »

Offline pkircher

« Reply #483 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 07:46:57 »
i think matt3o would have sayed something if he wasnt cool with that :) but usualy you right .. but its more dramatic with a full set

the colors / shape  are IP of SP anyway ..

matt3o holds a overall design right( more like a composition design right ) .. yet not on keys never been offerd with that set ..
its a different story if you reproduce parts of the set / the full set ( that be a violation of ip/copyright)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 07:53:45 by pkircher »

Offline dezoe

« Reply #484 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 10:08:31 »

Would it be possible to do a mini group buy for iso enter in true retro?
Would 25 iso enters be too few for SP to consider?
Also check if it´s ok with Matt3o.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #485 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 10:18:47 »

Would it be possible to do a mini group buy for iso enter in true retro?
Would 25 iso enters be too few for SP to consider?
Also check if it´s ok with Matt3o.

25 iso enters would be enough to achieve an affordable price, but I don't think you can find 25 people interested in the keycap, also the logistics are pretty challenging, someone likely has to step up to handle the shipping etc.

We should've all been around in the interest check stage, it would make things much easier :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 12:01:23 by KHAANNN »

Offline facetsesame

• Honey Sphericals Extras
« Reply #486 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 11:55:58 »
I'd definitely be interested in several TBN/WCK ISO enters at a 25 keys price.  15 keys may also work, but the unit cost would probably be a lot higher.

I'll ask about interest in these on DT.

Offline flamf

« Reply #487 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 13:58:52 »
For the sake of getting this done, I wouldn't mind pledging for a couple. Assuming they would then be less than 100$ each.

Offline facetsesame

• Honey Sphericals Extras
« Reply #488 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 17:06:23 »
For the sake of getting this done, I wouldn't mind pledging for a couple. Assuming they would then be less than 100$ each.
I don't think you'll have a problem meeting that price point, but it might be a little high for widespread support!

I'm also up for putting some money into getting this going, but we'll need to see a quote from SP to really gauge how far the funds would go.  I'm up for raising a quote request if you haven't already.

Offline Slavfot

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 18:30:40 »
I'm also in for a non lime ISO Enter groupbuy

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 20:53:51 »

-----

After seeing this rendering(?) of a C64 replica: http://hothardware.com/news/living-fossil--new-commodore-64-trades-on-nostalgia

I guess I might go for TBN-only arrows with arrow nudges in 1.75/1.25 - diluting the keyset with another color seems like blasphemy and arrow nudges look great :)

It might have been good if a TBN R1 Esc was included too - I'm sure I would've used the VAV one anyway, yet it would be great to get a full retro thing going on with 60%'s

FuriousGeorge, I don't think I can gather enough interested parties/handle the logistics for a group buy-ish thing, yet if you would be willing to spend ~100$ on a 1.75/1.25 arrow cluster, let me know, we can order together and handle the logistics later on, same applies for anyone else ($100+ is for 4 keys one set, I'm not sure how lower it gets with increased sets, but it gets lower as I'm told)

Sorry, just realized I never responded.That's too rich for me, unfortunately. I can probably only talk myself into the $25 ish range.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #491 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 22:01:36 »
The decision to select the arrow cluster style/type was hard, as it's tempting to go with an all-text keycap selection for uniformity, but trying different options with an image editor helped: http://i.imgur.com/fHNcWdq.jpg

Without the green enter on, the text-only arrow option was tempting, but putting the green enter on finalised my decision - also the 1u small Shift looks unappealing with a 1.75u "UP" key, the sizing difference isn't pretty - so the original arrow nudges were the best choice

It seems with my 60% layout/usage, I can't use 2-tone keysets, so all in all, the Retro keycap set/thinking helped me a lot in my keycap journey already :)

For those who are interested in the layout, blank keycaps also look great as a 1.75 arrow cluster - so it might be a good idea to buy some after the set is produced

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:06:38 »
hey guys

i just paid for this gb with sp

it ran a bit over budget but not too much, we knew some kits would struggle but wanted to present a very complete gb

sp advised us it would take about 8 weeks, but once they give me a ship date i will update here

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #493 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:08:38 »
hey guys

it ran a bit over budget but not too much, we knew some kits would struggle but wanted to present a very complete gb

sp advised us it would take about 8 weeks, but once they give me a ship date i will update here

Thank you + matt3o + ctrlalt <3

I was ready for an 12-16 weeks wait time, waiting 8 weeks should be easy, with any luck lets hope it becomes 6-7 - I'm too excited for this set - my fingers are in need of some sculpture with style
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:12:23 by KHAANNN »

Offline blastoid

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:12:35 »
hey guys

Woo hoo!

Can I ask, for curiosity's sake, what the total amount was? Other aspects of this run have been pretty transparent...

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 14:22:40 »
hey guys

Woo hoo!

Can I ask, for curiosity's sake, what the total amount was? Other aspects of this run have been pretty transparent...

about 35k

Offline flamf

« Reply #496 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 16:56:25 »
thanks for the update.

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 19:29:55 »
Thanks for the update guys, can't wait to dress that minila (or other boards after :P)
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline bquorning

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 02:41:06 »
Nooo, I’ve been wanting the original Retro ever since I first saw it, and now I missed this deal – by 10 days!

Well, my fingers are crossed – maybe there’ll be a new Retro set in a couple of years?

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #499 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 02:44:30 »
Nooo, I’ve been wanting the original Retro ever since I first saw it, and now I missed this deal – by 10 days!

Well, my fingers are crossed – maybe there’ll be a new Retro set in a couple of years?
:(
I think you'll have to get lucky by stalking this thread for someone giving away their order or checking the community markets.

Welcome to Geekhack BTW! :)