Author Topic: Hello from a small village in Germany!  (Read 1337 times)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
Hello from a small village in Germany!
« on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:42:23 »
Hello everyone, I'll try my best to keep it short.

Somewhere around the end of 2017 I started getting into mechanical keyboards... and yes... my first board was a Black Widow Overwatch edition, do to my super enthusiastic love of the game at that time (I still love it, although at this point I'd say it's more of a love hate relationship).
Then, a few months later, I discovered r/mk, and shortly afterwards a tutorial by TaeKeyboards (YouTube) which led to me build my first, I guess you could call it "custom" mechanical keyboard: a 60% Poker style plastic board, with Gateron blues and *please don't kill me* taihao keycaps, with most of the parts gathered from bangood and AliExpress.
Ughh... That was a rough one, now, let's get into the good stuff. Over the duration of 2019 I started really getting deep into the hobby (or rabbit hole I guess..), buying multiple switches, keycap sets etc... .
Right now I'm mostly looking forward to getting my U80-A, which I would consider to be my fist actual high end mechanical keyboard, together with many great sets like gmk sandstorm, camping in Japan/r2 and HSA BoB (just to name a few of them) in their way.
Now to geekhack, you probably haven't yet seen my name around here because I lurked for pretty much the whole last year.
But I have decided to get way more active on here.
My plan is to run my first two keycap sets somewhere during the duration of the next two years.
I'm very interested in design, but don't have any experience in keycaps just yet, so, if everything goes as expected (which it probably won't) you should be seeing my first IC hopefully before fall this year.

If you made it that far, and have any tips or tutorials, your help would be very much appreciated^^
Thank you for reading this, and I hope you'll have an amazing day!

Your weird, hopefully soon fellow member,
Fab

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
Re: Hello from a small village in Germany!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:49:35 »
I hope you enjoyed reading this, and if you want to learn more about me, or just connect with me, you can always message me on Discord (fabijolo#7220) or Reddit (u/fabijolo)

See ya ;D

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello from a small village in Germany!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:11:31 »
Welcome, Fab. My only suggestion is that you try Kailh Box thick clicks if you haven't yet (if you're primarily interested in modern mx compatible switches, particularly clickies). I have never built a keyboard, unless you count swapping switches and adding cable sockets to existing ones, and I'm not particularly picky about stabilizers or caps, none of that is really my bag, but you might get some relevant suggestions if you post in the keyboards section of the forum.