Author Topic: Got Inspired - now to find a board...  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Walter

Got Inspired - now to find a board...
« on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:25:14 »
So I've been pretty happy over the years with my non-mechanical boards - almost all of which have been from logitech. Haven't really given mechanical boards much thought until I saw this via r/battlestations:

http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Cream_Cheese_and_Green
That eventually led me here in search of more. I love the legends/color combo of that set.

I don't have a mechanical board yet, but I'm in the market. I've looked around, but would love suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Full board w/num pad & F keys
Small footprint (think Poker II, but full size)
Leaning toward MX Browns - maybe Ergo clear someday
Wireless would be awesome, but I haven't seen any full size.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Got Inspired - now to find a board...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:31:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ah CCnG with the old SP legends!  Not sure how many more sets with those legends will be produced now that the Cherry Replica legends are available.

For a fullsize keyboard, there are many choices.  Ducky is good (Shine if you want backlighting, Zero if not), Filco is another good one.  WASD CODE is popular (if you can find any, but I don't think they are available with browns).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:34:00 »
And so your journey begins  :thumb:

I should note that browns and clears have a very different feel. Browns are a lot lighter, with a much more subtle tactile feedback.

Wireless would mean that you severely limit your choice of mechanical keyboards. We see some manufacturers coming out with some wireless options, but it is only a small number of keyboards you could choose from. I would only stick to this if it were really important to you and your setup pretty much required going wireless.

I assume that by  "think Poker II, but full size" you mean a full size keyboard that does not waste any space and has the smallest footprint possible for a keyboard that size. 

I think there are so many good brands and great keyboards, that I think it is best to find one that matches your preferences in terms of features and look. It is often hard to recommend one highly regarded brand over another. The truth is that many of them offer quality products.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:39:32 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Walter

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:49:27 »
I should note that browns and clears have a very different feel. Browns are a lot lighter, with a much more subtle tactile feedback.
Oh, that's good to know. I've never actually used browns or clears. I'm just going off what I've read here and elsewhere.

Wireless would mean that you severely limit your choice of mechanical keyboards. We see some manufacturers coming out with some wireless options, but it is only a small number of keyboards you could choose from. I would only stick to this if it were really important to you and your setup pretty much required going wireless.
That's kind of what I figured, but thought I'd ask in case there was a wireless keyboard I missed.

I assume that by  "think Poker II, but full size" you mean a full size keyboard that does not waste any space and has the smallest footprint possible for a keyboard that size. 
Exactly.

Ah CCnG with the old SP legends!  Not sure how many more sets with those legends will be produced now that the Cherry Replica legends are available.
Oh no! :(  Are these being discontinued or just less popular in comparison to the Cherry replica legends?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:55:24 »
If he wants a Full Size keyboard with the smallest footprint, I don't suppose the Lightsaver V2 with the 1800 layout is an option?
It's expensive as hell, but it is an option
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 07:25:08 »
If he wants a Full Size keyboard with the smallest footprint, I don't suppose the Lightsaver V2 with the 1800 layout is an option?
It's expensive as hell, but it is an option

Yeah, there are not many full size keyboards that take the "60% approach" of being only keys with virtually no wasted space. Though some are a lot more bulky than others. The lightsaver would be a great option if it was available and affordable
More

Another option might be to go for a tenkeyless and a seperate USB numpad.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0