Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 review  (Read 38935 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Ducky Shine 3 review
« on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:36:19 »
So here's my first review....
Initial thoughts:
Wow this keyboard is heavy. Feels like tank. I was grinning the entire time as I removed the plastic cover and dug around the box for the USB cord. The keycaps feel great and feel more durable than on my K90.

Typing:
Being that this is my first cherry mx brown keyboard it was odd and a mixed bag of emotions. At first it felt nice and I liked to type on it. After a day it got to the point where I was wishing I bought it with cherry mx reds instead. But now it's an absolute joy to type on. There is only one key that pings (A) and is on audible if I put my ear to the keyboard.

Package contents:
A wire keycap puller, alternate space bar, USB cable, and wasd red replacements keys.

Dip switch:
The dip switches change various things on the keyboard
Windows Key disable
Ctrl and Capslock swap
Windows key and Alt swap
DEMO Mode

Build quality:

The keyboard feels absolutely amazing. I could kill a man and still type. There isn't much flex if any.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine 3 review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:34:31 »
Nice review, thanks for that.

I still find that space bar a bit jarring - LED backlighting for low light conditions, but all that extra light would bug me a bit.

Good to see they are including a wire keycap puller instead of the usual plastic ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 13:14:48 »
Thanks!
The space bar is a bit distracting sometimes, even more when the colors are cycling through. But I am in love with the board.  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 17:16:33 »
Thanks!
The space bar is a bit distracting sometimes, even more when the colors are cycling through. But I am in love with the board.  ;D

I've got two Ducky boards - both are still going strong!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 17:24:07 »
I don't think my shine will die before I get another one next year. I might buy a limited edition next year lol.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:35:15 »
I don't think my shine will die before I get another one next year. I might buy a limited edition next year lol.
Most likely, the DS3 you have now would still be working as good then, as it does now. And yes, Limited Editions or limited run keyboards are the ones to get.......I'm somewhat of a Ducky fanboy......as well as Topre......and HHKB.......and Filco.......Keycool, well, you get what I mean.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:44:14 »
I'm in love with this board. Will not be buying another corsair one... Sorry corsair... The keys feel so much better than the K90 I have and I will be putting money aside slowly but surely for the next limited edition.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:48:21 »
I'm in love with this board. Will not be buying another corsair one... Sorry corsair... The keys feel so much better than the K90 I have and I will be putting money aside slowly but surely for the next limited edition.

The collectors editions also tend to have a higher resale value - so you are investing in the future (if you need another excuse).

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 05:57:29 »
Yup lol. It's gonna be hard to explain why I placed an order for on next year lol.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 17:55:21 »
Bit of an update.
I cleaned my keycaps. And since they are drying right now, I'm using my reds on my k90. Never the less I have fallen in love again. Anyway here are some shots I took when I was cleaning my shine 3.  :D

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:50:16 »
When you play games, does the full size keyboard get in the way of your mouse?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:18:56 »
When you play games, does the full size keyboard get in the way of your mouse?

Not sure who you are asking, but I used full size keyboard exclusively and didn't seem to notice.

Now I have TKL and 60% boards and the mouse is much closer, I find it awkward playing with a full size board.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:33:34 »
I don't use the upper right corner of my mouse pad. It doesn't seem to bother me. I want to buy  a TKL though. Just that games like Arma 3, Plantetside2, and GTA IV with a trainer I use a numpad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:07:21 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 07:32:15 »
Thank you for the Review, I am looking at the ducky shine for my next board :)

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 20:27:15 »
No problem! It's an amazing keyboard!

Offline mapple

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 02:26:18 »

kinda shame on me but i had blackwidow with blue backlight and ur have same, it was literally killing my eyes ->reason why i order shine3 with white backlight. I mean i'm not looking at keyboard when playing/typing but when there's a spare second and i would leave my eyes on blue led well can't see anything else for moment. Does that backlight is ok for you especially in dark room @night?
In God We Trust

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 02:42:33 »
You're making me wanna get a DK9087 Shine 3 even though I alr have a Shine 2....
 Damn this is so tempting....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 03:40:32 »

kinda shame on me but i had blackwidow with blue backlight and ur have same, it was literally killing my eyes ->reason why i order shine3 with white backlight. I mean i'm not looking at keyboard when playing/typing but when there's a spare second and i would leave my eyes on blue led well can't see anything else for moment. Does that backlight is ok for you especially in dark room @night?

Isn't there something about the eye being more sensitive to (bright) blue light?  I have red LEDs on my Ducky, and although I don't have them on full bright (second setting usually suffices) even in a dark room when I look down I don't have after-images.

Offline majache

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 07:14:10 »
what all did you not like about your k90?

CODE Mx Clears 104 | | Infinity KiiBohd Mx Clears 60%

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 14:47:31 »
The rubber domes on it. That and B, space bar, V, and enter on the numpad pinged really badly.

Offline TheMadcap

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 17:30:48 »
As a new mechanical keyboard user I guess ı don't like Cherry stabilizers on my Shine 3. The spacebar is alright but shift and enter keys are like applying to much reaction force to my finger.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:17:37 »
Ther are cherry stabilizers. But they do feel heavier than my K90. They claim to have improved them.

Offline TheMadcap

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 08:59:22 »
well, don't know how they improved them, but when I pressed left shift with my little finger I feel some difficulty, but I don't feel that when I press spacebar with my little finger. That disturbs me.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 09:25:35 »
Yeah I feel that too. Especially with orings.

Offline ManxLOLcat

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:14:52 »
Most reviews I've seen, when the keyboard is sturdy, they have said that they could kill someone with it and still type. Never actually thought that anyone would be in a situation like that.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:04:28 »
I know one. How about this. Someone breaks into your home while you're on your board, they suddenly walk in and say give me all you've got. Rip off the USB and whack him!
 When he's in shock whack him again, grab your USB and wrap it around his neck, I'll give you 10 minutes to leave before I call the paramedics.  :p

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:02:26 »
Rad review, Might have to buy myself one:thumb:

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 13:54:42 »
Thanks! :D

Offline bhulse7

• Why not?
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 01:29:22 »
Thanks for the review, I just ordered it as my first mechenical keyboard in a Massdrop.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 19:32:38 »
Nice choice! You won't be disappointed! 

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 12:48:51 »
Really awesome review! Helped me decide to get a Ducky Shine 3 TKL for Christmas!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 12:59:39 »
Lol nice.  ;D

Offline insomniak

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:37:00 »
Great review!  :thumb:  I was on the border of whether to get this or a Filco.  I think with the LED's and build quality, this one takes the cake.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 10:48:33 »
I should become a sale representative for Ducky lol.  ;D

Offline Canious

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:15:13 »
Thanks for the review! That looks like a sick keyboard, my only gripe is that the spacebar does seem a little distracting (though it looks awesome). Hope you enjoy it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:15:48 »
Thanks for the review! That looks like a sick keyboard, my only gripe is that the spacebar does seem a little distracting (though it looks awesome). Hope you enjoy it!

Space bars can be replaced ...

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:25:44 »

Space bars can be replaced ...
Or you can turn off the leds...
Comes with two space bars. The snake a cleaner looking one.

Sorry was using my phone.

Offline illmaculate

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 09:20:40 »
Hey guys,

A quick question. Just got my Ducky Shine 3 and updated the firmware....I don't have the fade or aurora effect....anybody able to help clarify the issue?

thanks....

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 09:22:41 »
What!? How do you now have it? Fn+F10 a few times?
Maybe try to get the old firmware 1.14. Then try updating to 1.16.

Offline illmaculate

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 09:26:17 »
I think i've fixed it. thanks:)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 December 2013, 09:38:34 by illmaculate »

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 10:05:56 »

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:52:07 »
I just love Ducky Shine 3. This is my first mkb; I bought it a month ago and since then - I never want to use a rubber dome keyboard again - feels gross when bottoming out.

What I am afraid is when one or two of the LEDs in this board got busted after 1 year of warranty - this'll probably a hassle for me to solder a new LED again.

Anyways, you just got to love all the LED lighting modes - feels like a disco to me :D. I'm looking forward into next year's RGB LEDs on Cherry MX switches - what can be the next Shine be? (I'm really curious)  :D  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 01:53:26 »
I just love Ducky Shine 3. This is my first mkb; I bought it a month ago and since then - I never want to use a rubber dome keyboard again - feels gross when bottoming out.

What I am afraid is when one or two of the LEDs in this board got busted after 1 year of warranty - this'll probably a hassle for me to solder a new LED again.

Anyways, you just got to love all the LED lighting modes - feels like a disco to me :D. I'm looking forward into next year's RGB LEDs on Cherry MX switches - what can be the next Shine be? (I'm really curious)  :D  :p

I have two Ducky Shine version 1, and after nearly 18 months (one having continual usage with LEDs on during that time) all LEDs are still working.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:39:39 »
Yes these LEDs on Duckies will last for a long time. Is what I do I turn off all my LEDs when I know that I will be gone for a while.

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 14:29:32 »
How do the ABS caps do over time? How fast do they start getting greasy?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 16:35:04 »
They feel fine to me. Since it's so slippery being that it is abs you just wipe it and it goes away.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 17:33:38 »
How do the ABS caps do over time? How fast do they start getting greasy?

Depends on how oily your fingers are.

Worst case, just remove the keycaps every month or two and soak them in denture cleaner.

Mine have not worn at all - with daily use.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 23:31:44 »
I always wash my hands before using my computer.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 18:58:07 »
I always wash my hands before using my computer.
I thought this was common practise, turns out I was wrong.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:15:09 »
Lol, only mu self and my father wash our hands before using our computers...
I don't like oily caps.