Author Topic: brand new SSK internals (SSK revival product) HIATUS UNTIL OCT  (Read 3828 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
folks,

as i've said like a thousand times now, i'm moving, and unfortunately, that means i'm moving enough parts to make about 10-20 sets of SSKs. i have brand new barrel plates, backplates, blankets, stabilizers, springs and hammers, and of course my special sauce construction technique. all internals are naturally held together by bolts instead of plastic rivets. however, i wouldn't call this a "bolt mod" because the boards are built from the ground up that way.

to retrofit your current SSK to an SSK revival board, all you do is order a set of internals from me, take your existing SSK (you need one unless you want to make your own case for it), open it with a 5.5mm nut driver, remove the existing internals, including the pcb, and replace them with the new internals. that's pretty much it.

it generally takes me about 4-5 careful hours to make an assembly, but backplates weigh a lot and it's a pain in the butt to move 30 of them a thousand miles.

if you're already an ssk revival tester, i probably know you are, but you should still remind me, because these are the gen 2 assemblies, and should hopefully resolve any issues that haven't worked themselves out already on your current boards.

anyway, for new testers (ie, people who don't have a gen 1), the cost for this will be 150 + ship. PM me if you're a tester already and want to try a new set of internals. if the feel of your gen 1 board is good enough for now, i would greatly prefer that you give me some time -- the next step after gen 2 is the new sheet metal.

anyway, this is an ssk revival thing, not a geekhackers thing, so payment will be via paypal, etc.

international shipments are OK, but keep in mind that these things are _really heavy_.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 22:17:52 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline geniekid

Re: brand new SSK internals (SSK revival product)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:59:57 »
The only thing holding me back from this is finding an SSK to restore.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:21:45 »
if you're interested and don't have an SSK already, then my best recommendation is to have me build you a set of internals now, and then find the cheapest most-likely-pretty-broken SSK you can. the only thing you need to build an SSK other than a set of internals from me is the plastic case and an sdl to ps2 cable (i'll pop in a ps2 to usb adapter -- the same ones that are sold on geekhackers.org)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 22:15:03 »
folks,

as i've said like a thousand times now, i'm moving, and unfortunately, that means i'm moving enough parts to make about 10-20 sets of SSKs. i have brand new barrel plates, backplates, blankets, stabilizers, springs and hammers, and of course my special sauce construction technique. all internals are naturally held together by bolts instead of plastic rivets. however, i wouldn't call this a "bolt mod" because the boards are built from the ground up that way.

to retrofit your current SSK to an SSK revival board, all you do is order a set of internals from me, take your existing SSK (you need one unless you want to make your own case for it), open it with a 5.5mm nut driver, remove the existing internals, including the pcb, and replace them with the new internals. that's pretty much it.

it generally takes me about 4-5 careful hours to make an assembly, but backplates weigh a lot and it's a pain in the butt to move 30 of them a thousand miles.

if you're already an ssk revival tester, i probably know you are, but you should still remind me, because these are the gen 2 assemblies, and should hopefully resolve any issues that haven't worked themselves out already on your current boards.

anyway, for new testers (ie, people who don't have a gen 1), the cost for this will be 150 + ship. PM me if you're a tester already and want to try a new set of internals. if the feel of your gen 1 board is good enough for now, i would greatly prefer that you give me some time -- the next step after gen 2 is the new sheet metal.

anyway, this is an ssk revival thing, not a geekhackers thing, so payment will be via paypal, etc.

international shipments are OK, but keep in mind that these things are _really heavy_.

Mkawa you have definitely caught my attention here.  I love all sorts of keyboards whether they be Thorpies or Cherry's but having this whole NEW SSK internals to apply to a broken down original, has me excited to say the least.

Please let me know what I have to do to get all the items necessary to completely refit an SSK from scratch.  I would also be glad to pay you any amount to do everything in your power to build it all for me, considering I'm an ignorant ape concerning anything to do with re-manufacturing an IBM keyboard  :thumb: .

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 22:17:35 »
it's pretty simple, actually. i give you a complete assembly, including a new controller board; you pull your existing caps and open your existing case with a 5.5mm nut driver, then put the new assembly into the case with new controller and close said case with a 5.5mm nut driver.

all my stuff is currently in a moving box until october though.