Author Topic: [IC] GMK Retrowave [GB August 1]  (Read 145115 times)

Offline vladimir108

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave.
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 14:32:54 »
Miami Vice kit :-)

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave.
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:05:04 »
Hi all,
Excited to share my latest designs for our new deskmat for discussion.

I would like your feedback, which of these two would you choose!

Also, would you like to see edge to edge printing or black border?

(Please ignore the low resolution on these, they are just working drafts as I finalise everything)

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:06:41 by SwitchKeys »

Offline CookieFlow

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. New Deskmats!
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:20:19 »
Between the two, I prefer the top one.

I appreciate this new take on the mat, but personally I would prefer the design without the car.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 01:02:09 »
I can barely tell he difference honestly, but my eyes are tired right now. Bottom.

I agree, I'd prefer one without the car.

I would want an "outrun" style desk mat that is just a 2 tone of the purple and pink used in the set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2021, 09:23:51 by Havattack »

Offline vernSL

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 13:08:14 »
I prefer the top.

But I definitely agree, there should be a more minimalistic deskmat without the car. This is too busy for me on my desk, but I'm sure there are people who love it.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. New Deskmats! All Vendors announced.
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 23:28:19 »
Yep the plan is to keep one loud deskmat and one more minimalistic deskmat which we are working on right now (Likely the purple mat with a silhouette repeating pattern, possibly the palm trees or the flamingos).

I'm hesitant to remove the car as it is literally the focal point of the entire deskmat. Removing it just puts us back at the original design (If you are really into the sunset deskmat you'll be able to buy it shortly from Space Cables, SwitchKeys, KeyGem, Ashkeebs and ProtoTypist)

Thanks for the continued interest guys. We're also pleased to confirm Project Keyboard who will be running this for North America.

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 23:34:49 »
Really dig the car desk mat! I'm honestly torn between the two with a slight change in colors. If I had to pick one I think I would go with the top, something about the orange in the sun just makes it a tad better. I'm going to vote for the edge to edge printing

Offline Havattack

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:44:41 »
Miami Vice kit :-)

I think of pink and blue/teal more when it comes to Miami Vice,
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 17:45:28 by Havattack »

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:42:05 »
Yep the plan is to keep one loud deskmat and one more minimalistic deskmat which we are working on right now (Likely the purple mat with a silhouette repeating pattern, possibly the palm trees or the flamingos).

I'm hesitant to remove the car as it is literally the focal point of the entire deskmat. Removing it just puts us back at the original design (If you are really into the sunset deskmat you'll be able to buy it shortly from Space Cables, SwitchKeys, KeyGem, Ashkeebs and ProtoTypist)

Thanks for the continued interest guys. We're also pleased to confirm Project Keyboard who will be running this for North America.

I fully understand.
I would still think that without the car it would be different enough from your "classic", I don't often see the palm trees inside the sun which I find awesome.
It's just that the keyboard would sit mostly on top of the car, so in my head that woudn't look that good, since you would only see some random parts of the car like the wheels or spoiler.

But if there is a more minimalistic one, that's awesome. I really like the sun with the palm trees on the right, feels like a perfect place to have your mouse.
And I agree, the slight orange tone of the top one is really nice.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 14:07:56 by CookieFlow »

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:45:22 »
Thanks for your comments CookieFlow!

Nathan actually mocked up a render of a (Now outdated design) with the keyboard on it for scale.

I will be back here soon with some kitting updates and hopefully another deskmat addition :)

Cheers

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:14:56 »
That looks a lot better than I imagined in my head ! Probably better suited for a small keyboard so it doesn't get mostly covered.
I like the "retrowave" in Katakana on the plate, that's a cool idea that hopefully would make it into the final design

Looking forward to see the more minimalistic one, but I will say the more I look at the car design the more I like it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:21:44 by CookieFlow »

Offline mpererr

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 11:59:30 »
Might have to buy this set just for the F-40... Seriously though, great work on the mats!

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 14:33:50 »
The car looks hella nice. I think it will sell well, but you probably should offer an extra, more minimalistic one too.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 17:18:01 »
Another small update.
Added Candy Keys as EU Vendor. All vendors now finalised. Awaiting mockups from Space for the cable tie-in and I should have all kits revised next week as Nathan has been busy wrapping up his other amazing projects.

Thanks for everyone's patience so far!

Offline nvh2092

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. All Vendors secured!
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 17:43:09 »
The render of ISO keyboard shows a R3 pipe key and R4 <> key non sublegend which are used for basic ISO. These keys don't exist in any kit. Will these appear in the final kitting?

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. Kitting finalised.
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 17:38:55 »
Have done another round of kitting (Will be locking this in as we head into the final stretch of the IC). See OP for the latest kits.

Keeping a compact base was something we had tried really hard (Indeed the IC responses were basically spit for this). Ultimately, I couldn't bring myself to cut due to the punishment it would cause ISO / Numpad users as an example. To counter this, we will push ahead with an enormous MOQ to shoot for competitive pricing with a pretty complete base kit.

I've hopefully catered for the majority of 40s users, so if this is you, given we know 40s account for less than 10% on average of base kit sales please show some support during GB. Have trimmed down the bars to save some $ also.

Lastly massive thanks to Nathanalphaman for all his hard work with kitting among all the other stuff he is dealing with on a daily basis. Imagine trying to run your Polybius project among other things, and having me on your doorstep every morning with requests.

Next update will contain pricing and a date schedule. As we move closer, I am working with Rama on some additional collabs for this project and I am still drafting for the second deskmat.

Thanks to everyone for sticking around and most importantly for the feedback in the IC.

Peace <3

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:00:53 »
I love the aesthetic, and will probably buy it, but my long crusade remains...WHY GMK? :'(

Offline Havattack

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:37:51 »
I imagine the runner likes the cherry profile, ABS, and GMK are second to none as far as quality goes. I'd prefer SA or MG myself, but whatevs, there are a lot of things I would change, but it aint my set. If I really wanted that "perfect" set of mine (and this is close), i would design it and run it myself, but I don't want it that bad, and I'm too lazy.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:39:39 by Havattack »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:45:57 »
Thank GOD I joined this forum while this is in progress. 100% in!
Even better if the Katakana alphas were in the base set, leaving the simple alpha in an additional kit.

Offline Rx003

« Reply #169 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 04:56:20 »
I am here for the Rama glwic and glws  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 18:55:06 »
Deskmat prototype has arrived. Qualiy and vibrancy blew me away, really excited to share these.

In terms of set progress. We've sent the kits off to GMK for quotation. Just waiting to hear back

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2021, 18:59:39 by SwitchKeys »

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 19:00:38 »
Deskmat prototype has arrived. Qualiy and vibrancy blew me away, really excited to share these.

In terms of set progress. We've sent the kits off to GMK for quotation. Just waiting to hear back

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are stellar!

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 19:44:04 »
The deskmat looks incredible.
I wasn't fully on board with the car at first, but it works really well  :thumb:

I was hoping that the "レトロウェーブ" stayed on the plate as I thought that was an awesome "easter egg".
But that's the only part that is blocked, so I guess I will not know for now haha.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 20:15:52 »

Even better if the Katakana alphas were in the base set, leaving the simple alpha in an additional kit.
Yeah, we both wish. But doesn't look like that's in the cards unfortunately.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 23:22:32 »

Was the hardest decision of the whole set. Ultimately I chose latin purely because it slightly edged out Katakana as an option (Talking literally single digit percentages).

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:17:26 »

Was the hardest decision of the whole set. Ultimately I chose latin purely because it slightly edged out Katakana as an option (Talking literally single digit percentages).

I think it's a tough decision.
Awaken with Katakana outsold the Latin Alphas by almost 3 to 1.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 22:03:40 »

It'll probably be the same with this one. I don't think all that many people end up filling out the IC form. I know i forget half the time..

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 04:36:28 »

It'll probably be the same with this one. I don't think all that many people end up filling out the IC form. I know i forget half the time..
Gmk agent 01 had sublegends at first but removed later due to interest. It depends on theme and time.

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 05:51:37 »
I would definitely like to buy the katakana set - but it doesn't have ISO-UK support, so I won't.  I'd be happy if that was the only kit if it had ISO-UK support.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:03:35 »

Gmk agent 01 had sublegends at first but removed later due to interest. It depends on theme and time.

Of course it depends on the theme. I don't always advocate for Japanese sub-legends, on some sets I prefer regular Latin Alphas.
But I just think Retrowave is one of those where I feel fairly confident that a Katakana sublegend base would do better as its theme feels perfectly suited for it.

And that I think making the call for Base Latin Alphas just based on a form that was close to 50% is a tough call to make (also depending on how many answers that form got).

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 19:46:04 »
This set really does make a bold color choice look good. Great work!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 20:26:02 »

Probably. I guess well see what the finale sale numbers are (in regards to both gmk agent and this) If i'm correct about people not filling out the IC forms, that lack of interest may not be reflected in final sale numbers.

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 19:31:58 »
Its Early 2021. Where is it?? GIB!!!! :]

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 11:01:23 »
So this is cancelled?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 18:22:42 »
So this is cancelled?
?! Why would you say such a horrible thing?!  :eek:

Offline Havattack

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 18:26:50 »
Its Early 2021. Where is it?? GIB!!!! :]
I vaguely remember someone saying GMK got so back ordered, they decided to stop taking new orders for the time being. So i think a lot of GB's are on hold for now. (Take with a grain of salt, I'm not sure.)

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 19:21:25 »
So this is cancelled?

Allegedly, according to Lang [GMK Cafe], GMK is stopping Retrowave due to a novelty and common theme to GMK Laser

Offline Havattack

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 20:51:42 »
So this is cancelled?

Allegedly, according to Lang [GMK Cafe], GMK is stopping Retrowave due to a novelty and common theme to GMK Laser

That is such nonsense
Report back from some discord investigating: There is some issue, Sk is in discussion with GMK over it. I'm sure they'll update us when they know anything for sure. Still a huge bummer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 March 2021, 21:12:10 by Havattack »

Offline ehmora

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 22:35:48 »
This looks sooo good on the silver and PC rendered cases. Hope everything works out!

Offline sevenseacat

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. [On Hold]
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 07:43:57 »

That would be such bull****. >:(

Offline Gremlosh

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 11:13:32 »
So this is cancelled?

Damn that sucks. I was looking forward to this GB. This might have been my first GMK set

Offline Konami_Ai

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 12:08:36 »
So this is cancelled?

The novelty I can understand, if it was a copywrite issue, better to deal with it now, rather than later.
But stopping a set for "common theme"? GMK has definitely run sets of the similar theme *simultaneously * before.
If that's the case, that's insanely lame.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 12:33:23 »
Has anyone tried reaching out to Mito (Laser's GB runner) and asking him to advocate for it? EDIT: I shot him a message on discord, but i doubt he'll pay much attention to some message from a random dude he's never talked to on discord. We'll see.
It is absurd that Vaporwave, which had WAY more in common with Laser, got made no problem, but GMK is pulling this crap with this set?
I know I'm in the minority, but can we just go SA?

That "outrun" sun symbol has been around along time, Laser has no ownership over it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 March 2021, 12:52:05 by Havattack »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 12:36:22 »
So this is cancelled?

The novelty I can understand, if it was a copywrite issue, better to deal with it now, rather than later.
But stopping a set for "common theme"? GMK has definitely run sets of the similar theme *simultaneously * before.
If that's the case, that's insanely lame.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but what novelties do they share, other then the cassette tape and the sun with lines? Both of which existed long before Laser used them.
I am legit pissed at this garbage. I was SO stoked for this set/

Offline MediocreTurtle

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 04:10:39 »
Has anyone tried reaching out to Mito (Laser's GB runner) and asking him to advocate for it? EDIT: I shot him a message on discord, but i doubt he'll pay much attention to some message from a random dude he's never talked to on discord. We'll see.
It is absurd that Vaporwave, which had WAY more in common with Laser, got made no problem, but GMK is pulling this crap with this set?

That "outrun" sun symbol has been around along time, Laser has no ownership over it.
I would be surprised if it wasn't Mito/Drop who raised that issue with GMK in the first place

Offline cadrev

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 08:19:07 »
The colors are so far away from Laser  :(, was looking forward to this so much.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 14:38:03 »

I would be surprised if it wasn't Mito/Drop who raised that issue with GMK in the first place
Yeah, you're not the 1st person to imply that possibility.. That's part of the reason  I contacted him, in hope to at least partly  dispel that rumor.  If that it is the case, I hope it's Drop and not Mito.. I've bought THREE of Mito's sets.. If i find out I've been supporting a d-bag, piece of scum, i will be even more bummed by the situation. How DARE anyone try to claim any kind of trademark or something for 90% novelties in Laser, especially the "outrun" sun. They've all been around a LONG time, way before Laser, and are in no way originated by Drop/Mito.
The Retrowave Gb, would not be occurring at the same time as a Laser anyway. This all around absurd.
I really hope they decide to go with another keykap form and manufacturer. GMK was never my favorite, and now that i know they have shoddy business practices, they can go duck themselves. I would prefer to never buy from them again. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 March 2021, 14:40:59 by Havattack »

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 12:04:05 »
Nice. The only set I was planning on buying form GMK and this bull**** ensues. Not happy.

Offline jimmythetooth

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 11:08:20 »
Very disappointing. Is there anything the community can do to help make this happen?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 16:31:17 »
Very disappointing. Is there anything the community can do to help make this happen?
Grab your pitch-fork, get a plane ticket, and meet me in Germany! Time for some nerd-mob justice!

In all seriousness, anyone have any news?