Author Topic: List of hot-swappable keyboards  (Read 138992 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
List of hot-swappable keyboards
« on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 15:32:19 »
Can we make a list of hot swappable keyboards?
I would like to see what are our options, if there are ISO versions, aluminium  cases etc

I'll start:
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2019, 18:35:43 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline rajendra82

Re: List of hot-swappable keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 16:31:19 »
I would like to see what are our options, if there are ISO versions, aluminium  cases etc
I would be interested in following this. I own a cheap 25 Watt soldering iron, but it lacks temperature control. That and my lack of skill means I am better off springing for a hot swappable board. The GMMK looks to be at the top of the list so far, as I have heard of pin incompatibility in the cheaper Chinese Huo Ji/Granvela brands. I would be tempted at something in the $50 to $70 price range and have a full or tenkeyless layout.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Telstar

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 19:23:52 »
I have got the GMMK because it has ISO layout.

The Wooting One is also ANSI/ISO and hot-swappable but you cannot buy it barebone and with normal contact switches you lose the gradual pressing feature.
I'm getting one with the clicky switches because they dont sound too horrible. The build quality seems superior to the GMMK, although the latter can be dampened.

Edit: I got it today, it is hot-swap, but it will accept only their own switches. A heavy linear black-type is in the work, though and considering that the actual ones are very light is a good thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:37:58 by Telstar »

Offline deejasaurus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 15:12:10 »
Massdrop ALT -- 65%, aluminum, low or high profile, RGB
Input Club Kira -- compact full size, plastic or aluminum frame with an acrylic base, upcoming full aluminum case (Kira Stealth), RGB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2019, 15:18:51 by deejasaurus »

Offline daneb

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 15:41:27 »
Zhuque Teamwolf (you can buy e.g. on Aliexpress/Amazon) - low-end keyboard but with sufficient quality (for that price) for testing switches. Aluminium, RGB.

HEXGEARS 87 - another low-end hot-swappable keyboard (again on Aliexpress), probably best use is for testing switches. I am waiting for one, so I cannot speak about quality yet.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 16:42:01 »
I'm a new keyboard enthusiast and hot swappable seems like the way to go to me. I got the GK705 from Aliexpress and am waiting for it to arrive. I was going to get the TKL GK 707 but it was only 5 dollars more essentially another 17 Kailh box white switches.

I am hoping that there will be a wireless hot swappable keyboard and I would definitely get it.

I've done a bit of research myself and here is a list. I also saw on there that there is that Wooting One, but I think if you can only use their key switches, then it defeats the purpose of hot swappable.

All prices are without shipping (unless free) and has switches (switch price varies) and in American Dollars. Note that Hexgears and Hexgear are two different companies. Confusing!

MonkeyKing GK61 - 60%, RGB - $69

GMMK - 60%, TKL, Full, RGB - $95

Hexgears GK707/705 - TKL/Full, White LED - $45/50

Hexgear Gemini/Dawn - TKL, RGB - $139

CIY Team Wolf - 60%, RGB - $60

Tofu - 65%, RGB - $150

Massdrop CTRL - TKL, RGB - $200

Geek GK61 - RGB, 60% - $53

Re:Type - TKL, RGB - $$?? - Need to Join Waitlist

Kira - RGB, 75% - $179

Dygma Raise - 65%, RGB, Ergo - $266

Dye Fetish GK61 - RGB, 60% - $76

Kananic DKD L82 - 75%, Backlit, PBT Keycaps - $44 Can only use switches that have content space, any switch with flat bottom won't work.

Price differences are crazy different. I think it will come down to build quality of the chassis, cords and keycaps. I don't usually review stuff but I feel like I want to with the GK705 since I don't see any on youtube.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2019, 04:29:12 by TeacherGeek »

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 00:17:39 »
I ordered the GK705 for $50 as well. I have been impressed with box switches so far, and debating between box pink and box jade based on how they feel in the tactile switch tester ordered on kbdfans. Ironically they mispacked that tester with a box brown switch instead of box white. Since both box pink and jade are currently sold out on novelkeys, I will get the swappable keyboard first, and might just stick with the shipped switches, if I like them almost as much

I chose the GK705 over the others because the hot swappable boards with Outemu sockets are not compatible with Kailh. The pins on the Outemu switches are supposedly thinner and spaced differently, so other switches won't fit. Actually I have heard they fit once, but that destroys the socket. That's why I stayed away from Huo Ji/Granvela/Team Wolf, as Kailh has a bigger variety of switches to offer, and the switches are of arguably better quality.

PS - The Kono store keyboard is from the US division of Hexgears, while the Aliexpress one is from the Chinese division. They have different product lines, but some are just different names for the same keyboards. For example, GK950 = X-1, K757A/B = Nova, GK755A/B = Supernova, and K735 = Impulse. Sadly, the US division does not offer something equivalent to GK705/707 yet.

China:
http://en.hexgears.com/

US:
https://www.hexgears.org/
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 06:51:01 by rajendra82 »

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 00:46:21 »
KBDfans's GK64 is hot-swap.  I wouldn't actually recommend it, but it exists...

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 16:50:38 »
I ordered the GK705 for $50 as well. I have been impressed with box switches so far, and debating between box pink and box jade based on how they feel in the tactile switch tester ordered on kbdfans. Ironically they mispacked that tester with a box brown switch instead of box white. Since both box pink and jade are currently sold out on novelkeys, I will get the swappable keyboard first, and might just stick with the shipped switches, if I like them almost as much

I chose the GK705 over the others because the hot swappable boards with Outemu sockets are not compatible with Kailh. The pins on the Outemu switches are supposedly thinner and spaced differently, so other switches won't fit. Actually I have heard they fit once, but that destroys the socket. That's why I stayed away from Huo Ji/Granvela/Team Wolf, as Kailh has a bigger variety of switches to offer, and the switches are of arguably better quality.

PS - The Kono store keyboard is from the US division of Hexgears, while the Aliexpress one is from the Chinese division. They have different product lines, but some are just different names for the same keyboards. For example, GK950 = X-1, K757A/K757B = Nova, GK755A/B = Supernova, and K735 = Impulse. Sadly, the US division does not offer something equivalent to GK705 yet.

China:
http://en.hexgears.com/

US:
https://www.hexgears.org/

I think what threw me was the different logo for both "companies"

I have also heard that kaihl owns hexgears in China that is why they can make such cheap keyboards. I can't wait for mine to arrive. I think it's still at least 2 weeks away though.

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 00:30:52 »
Aliexpress shipping has usually been decent for me. My Atlanta bound packages typically get to Miami in about a week. Then US customs has to go through it, which is where it grinds to a halt.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 04:15:01 »
Aliexpress shipping has usually been decent for me. My Atlanta bound packages typically get to Miami in about a week. Then US customs has to go through it, which is where it grinds to a halt.

I've ordered many things from Aliexpress, it's usually like a month from ordering. I have no idea why it takes that long.

Offline Telstar

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:39:10 »
I've ordered many things from Aliexpress, it's usually like a month from ordering. I have no idea why it takes that long.

Anything sent with regular China post takes that long.
If it's not via boat, then it just clogged behind faster shipping methods.

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 00:04:14 »
My Aliexpress keycap packages have already made it into US Postal service hands in about a week, so I doubt they were literally on a slow boat from China. While looking at those, and trying to get my keyboard tracking number, I noticed they have dropped prices more on the Hexgears hot swappable keyboards to ridiculously low levels, with GK705 at $42.65, and GK707 for $37.85, both with free shipping. You could get the keyboard, pull the switches, and throw it away, and you will come out ahead, as 90/110 packs of Kailh box switches cost more than that from the same site. Oh, how I wish they had a price match deal to give me back $7.

I think these prices are good for next 7 days, so I recommend jumping on this deal if you are on the fence about it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 00:39:43 by rajendra82 »

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 04:04:12 »
My Aliexpress keycap packages have already made it into US Postal service hands in about a week, so I doubt they were literally on a slow boat from China. While looking at those, and trying to get my keyboard tracking number, I noticed they have dropped prices more on the Hexgears hot swappable keyboards to ridiculously low levels, with GK705 at $42.65, and GK707 for $37.85, both with free shipping. You could get the keyboard, pull the switches, and throw it away, and you will come out ahead, as 90/110 packs of Kailh box switches cost more than that from the same site. Oh, how I wish they had a price match deal to give me back $7.

I think these prices are good for next 7 days, so I recommend jumping on this deal if you are on the fence about it.

Yeah, I want my $7 too haha, but I guess I pay that to get it a week earlier. Call it express shipping lolz

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 05:34:05 »
HS60 PCB for 60% builds. ANSI/ISO/HHKB (when in stock :P)

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 07:10:22 »

This ain't a keyboard, just a board. Really expensive too and only in ISO layout.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 08:35:55 »

This ain't a keyboard, just a board. Really expensive too and only in ISO layout.

The GK64 was listed which is also just a PCB, so I thought I'd mention it. (Although the webpage does let you buy a whole kit, which ours does as well)

It IS available in ANSI/ISO/HHKB, just not in stock at the moment.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 09:12:52 »
Tokyo60

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 18:18:15 »

The GK64 was listed which is also just a PCB, so I thought I'd mention it. (Although the webpage does let you buy a whole kit, which ours does as well)

It IS available in ANSI/ISO/HHKB, just not in stock at the moment.

I'm finding a lot of these boards probs won't get restocked, it's been ages. Same with these ktypes, hexgears etc they are on pre-order for ages now. I'm just wondering if they are finding that the market has much cheaper keyboards that people rather spend their money on. I mean massdrop ctrl for $200 is insane.

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 17:35:19 »
So is there any other ISO TKL apart from GMMK?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 16:10:48 »

I can tell you that the gmmk is a good product. I replaced the stabilizers though.
I'm not a fan of the black color, or of the low profile case which exposes the border of the key, but hey, for such a price and flexibility and guarantee of fun, you have to own this keyboard. It will not be your final one, but you'll be able to experiment and try new combinations. In this hobby, I can't think of a better use of 60 usd.

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 07:22:57 »

I can tell you that the gmmk is a good product. I replaced the stabilizers though.
I'm not a fan of the black color, or of the low profile case which exposes the border of the key, but hey, for such a price and flexibility and guarantee of fun, you have to own this keyboard. It will not be your final one, but you'll be able to experiment and try new combinations. In this hobby, I can't think of a better use of 60 usd.

These are exactly what I do not like in that keyboard. Too light, I would prefer heavier aluminium case, plus covered switches.
And those stabs... so you can replace them?
Which ones do you suggest?

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:40:45 »

These are exactly what I do not like in that keyboard. Too light, I would prefer heavier aluminium case, plus covered switches.
And those stabs... so you can replace them?
Which ones do you suggest?

The keyboard is very stable, it doesn't move. I use silent switches and the sound is perfect.

You need to buy some gmk plate mount stabilizers, and cherry plate mount switches. I can't suggest you a reputable source though.

Replacing the stabs is really easy, no problem at all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2019, 16:25:10 by cherrymxsilent@gmail.com »

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 13:57:56 »
The stabilizers have been in sale on massdrop until a week ago or so. If you request the gb, you will be notified when the gb starts again.

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:27:00 »
KBDFans has HHKB and WKL layout hotswap kits. I really want the WKL one.

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 18:25:38 »
The GK705 came in today, about 16 days after placing the order. Feels very solid and sturdy, with zero flex, and no shifting around on the desk under normal use. The box white switches feel smooth and refined, Far more dignified than the rattly Cherry MX Blues I am coming from. Even the stabilizers are not as bad as other reviews on AliExpress suggested. The cable is braided and thick too. The double shot ABS keycaps are not going back on when I replace the switches, as they are quite slippery, and not very fun to use.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 19:12:24 »
The GK705 came in today, about 16 days after placing the order. Feels very solid and sturdy, with zero flex, and no shifting around on the desk under normal use. The box white switches feel smooth and refined, Far more dignified than the rattly Cherry MX Blues I am coming from. Even the stabilizers are not as bad as other reviews on AliExpress suggested. The cable is braided and thick too. The double shot ABS keycaps are not going back on when I replace the switches, as they are quite slippery, and not very fun to use.

Dang, I am still waiting on mine, but it has arrived in the country. I am in New Zealand though, the arse end of the world.

I am glad to hear that yours are decent.

Offline phinix

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 19:44:54 »
OK, I'm gonna give GMMK ISO a shot. I will lube the ass off those mod stabs to see if that helps...
Ordered ISO TKL version and some brand new Tealios v2 switches for it:)
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 19:48:15 by phinix »

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 00:25:57 »
Did the switch swap on my GK705 today, and replaced all of the box white switches with box jades pretty easily. Only issue I ran into was the numpad + and enter keys, where the stabilizers got in the way and switch puller couldn't get a grip. I may try to figure out how to get around that later, and left the box white on those two keys for now. The space bar of this keyboard came with a box pale blue switch instead of box white, which I replaced with a box navy instead for a similarly heavier than alphanumeric keys feel. I am really enjoying the extra tactility and thunky sound of the thicker click bar. I am glad that the GK705 exists so that I can enjoy my switches of choice without spending a fortune.

Put on some cheap PBT keycaps while I was at it, and they feel a lot better than the slippery ABS keycaps this keyboard came with. Much better texture, and bigger homing bumps.

P.S.: I figured out how to wiggle the switch puller around the stabilizers for the two vertically oriented keys and was able to replace those two switches as well.

218931-0

218933-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2019, 22:51:49 by rajendra82 »

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 11:18:34 »
The 1upHSE (http://www.1upkeyboards.com/shop/controllers/1up-rgb-pcb-hse/) is a fantastic deal. It's out of stock at the moment but I think they regularly stock these. It has RGB underglow, USB-C, and QMK. The Kailh sockets are notoriously finicky so you do need to make sure they are supported from below when inserting switches, but I've done a lot of swapping on mine and haven't dislodged a socket yet (fingers crossed).
Also, the Planck and Preonic (http://www.olkb.com) are hotswap 40% and 50% ortholinear boards. They take forever to ship, but they come up on Massdrop pretty frequently and can be found on the second hand market as well.

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 16:42:05 »
Thanks for doing this I'm looking for an affordable hotswap setup as my first MK

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 22:53:31 »
Did the switch swap on my GK705 today, and replaced all of the box white switches with box jades pretty easily. Only issue I ran into was the numpad + and enter keys, where the stabilizers got in the way and switch puller couldn't get a grip. I may try to figure out how to get around that later, and left the box white on those two keys for now. The space bar of this keyboard came with a box pale blue switch instead of box white, which I replaced with a box navy instead for a similarly heavier than alphanumeric keys feel. I am really enjoying the extra tactility and thunky sound of the thicker click bar. I am glad that the GK705 exists so that I can enjoy my switches of choice without spending a fortune.

Put on some cheap PBT keycaps while I was at it, and they feel a lot better than the slippery ABS keycaps this keyboard came with. Much better texture, and bigger homing bumps.

P.S.: I figured out how to wiggle the switch puller around the stabilizers for the two vertically oriented keys and was able to replace those two switches as well.

How did you do it. I got mine, and all I did was bend the switch puller they gave (I have another one) and when I remove the switch, I press on one side, lift it, and then do it on the other side.

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 00:29:13 »
I removed all switches by getting under lips on the top and bottom side of the switch, closing the tool jaws so that the tabs holding the switch to the plates (marked below) got depressed simultaneously, and then pulling up. The two vertical keys were the hardest and last to get out. I got around the upper and lower stabilizers on the numpad + and enter keys by inserting the switch puller included in the box at a nearly sideways angle on the upper (i.e. the LED) side first so that it could get a little under the lip on the switch, then I wiggled in the other side of the switch puller under the opposite lip by pressing it and closing it simultaneously so that it too was in the gap between the stabilizer and the switch and under the other lip. After both sides of the switch were accessed, the puller was able to lift up the switch straight up off the plate. It seemed like an impossible task at first, but it is not too hard, once you figure out the angles you have to work with. Took a couple of tries at best to pull them out.

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2019, 01:26:52 by rajendra82 »

Offline Cedific

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 14:29:19 »
Does anyone know which of these support the extra little feet some switches (eg novelkeys creams) have?

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:00:20 »
Does anyone know which of these support the extra little feet some switches (eg novelkeys creams) have?

Are you referring to the 2 extra plastic pins on the bottom? If so, those are what's known as plate mount switches. The extra pins are to add stability when mounting directly on the plate. If you have a PCB designed to be used with a plate that doesn't have holes for them, you can just clip them off.

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 17:40:19 »

The GK705 I just bought does not support PCB mounted switches and I doubt the GK707 does either. I saw on the YouTube review by Chyrosran that the GMMK doesn't support them either.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 18:38:43 »
Getting a hot swap board has been amazing. I have a Tokyo60 and a Leaf60. I love being able to mess with the switches more.

Offline Cedific

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 00:32:51 »

Are you referring to the 2 extra plastic pins on the bottom? If so, those are what's known as plate mount switches. The extra pins are to add stability when mounting directly on the plate. If you have a PCB designed to be used with a plate that doesn't have holes for them, you can just clip them off.

Yes, these are what I'm referring to, thank you for letting me know the correct term. I suppose I could clip them, but if there's a 75% to full-size that also has the holes, it'd make it easier to know what to buy for me ;D Plus, I feel kind of bad clipping nice switches...

The GK705 I just bought does not support PCB mounted switches and I doubt the GK707 does either. I saw on the YouTube review by Chyrosran that the GMMK doesn't support them either.

Damn, I was really leaning toward the GK705 as well. I still will probably get that, but it's a shame more manufacturers don't apply what must be a pretty simple fix.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 01:50:48 »
Damn, I was really leaning toward the GK705 as well. I still will probably get that, but it's a shame more manufacturers don't apply what must be a pretty simple fix.

I got the GK705 as well. I am going to do a very amateur review of it. Long story short, I really like it.

Offline Cedific

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 13:51:27 »

I got the GK705 as well. I am going to do a very amateur review of it. Long story short, I really like it.

Great, looking forward to it before I buy :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 21:48:47 »
So I'm using GMMK ISO TKL and after I lubes stabs, especially spacebar ones, it is pretty OK.
It is cheap keyboard, being very light is on a bad side, but overall is fine for typing.
I'm using those Tealios v2 switches, feel great.
In few months, hopefully I will receive orderd KBDFANS8X Mk2 - with those Tealios its is going to be my favourite MX swiches board.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 02:45:33 »
Decided to spray paint my keyboard. I learnt it from Taekeyboards.

Will hopefully edit the review video this weekend and post later.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 02:47:10 »

Link to this set?

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 09:37:10 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2019, 21:17:35 by rajendra82 »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 11:14:28 »

I'll start:

:O

Offline phinix

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 03:18:10 »

I'll start:

:O

What?

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 03:40:38 »
Hey All!

Has anyone pulled the trigger on the Gemini Dusk?

What's your feedback on it?

I am planning to buy one, buy I'm not sure if I can mod it to get a similar sound profile to this:

Tips are always welcome!

Thank you!