Author Topic: Best rubber dome keyboard  (Read 14908 times)

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: Best rubber dome keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 08:06:30 »

Looking for a cheap full keyboard

What's wrong with Topre?

Topre keyboards are generally quite pricey.

I guess. But a used one shouldn't be too much pricier than any of the other listed ones if you get lucky.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 04 October 2022, 23:02:02 »
I guess. But a used one shouldn't be too much pricier than any of the other listed ones if you get lucky.

For the price of a "lucky" realforce, you could buy 2-4 of many of the other boards listed here. For an average price, you could buy an extra two on top of the 2-4.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 02:17:53 »
What is the best rubber dome keyboard? (Please do not say Topre)
What is your experience and which one would you suggest?
Looking for a cheap full keyboard for office use.

What's wrong with Topre?

Nothing is wrong, I'm a topre lover and I do not consider those keyboards a rubber dome. Its blasphemy!  :p
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 14:50:04 »
I personally love the feel of the old Thinkpad scissor switch rubber dome keyboards, particularly those without backlighting, but this obviously doesn't help you in your use case.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline phinix

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 18:02:37 »
I personally love the feel of the old Thinkpad scissor switch rubber dome keyboards, particularly those without backlighting, but this obviously doesn't help you in your use case.

Do you mean on laptops or desktop keyboard?
I love laptop keyboard, old version. But wanted to get desktop keyboard too, but dont know which model is actually same as those on laptops.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 18:45:49 »

Do you mean on laptops

I have a T440p and the keyboard is pretty good - for a laptop - but I don't think that any laptop keyboard can hold a candle to a "real" keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 20:21:01 »

Do you mean on laptops

Yes, unfortunately I mean the laptop boards. That's why it's not so helpful; they're kind of tied in to their hardware. I haven't experienced the standalone boards, aside from the full travel Rubber Dome boards which were pretty generic.

I have a T440p and the keyboard is pretty good - for a laptop - but I don't think that any laptop keyboard can hold a candle to a "real" keyboard.

I'd agree with that sentiment in all cases except 2012 and earlier Thinkpads. The 440 just barely misses the cut. 

Up to the T420, Lenovo included a standard, non-island keyboard design that was mostly unchanged from the days of IBM ownership. It was the undisputed king of laptop boards with crisp, well defined key travel, well suited to long hours of typing. The T430, which is what I run, was a transition year. They did away with the classic keyboard in favor of a more modern island style with a cut down layout, but for that one year they still offered a non-backlit board that had the same underpinnings as the old boards (this is becasue the T430 was the last year to offer the Think Light, so technically you don't need a back light; you could elect to buy the backlit version for like $20 more on the order.) 

I've had both versions installed on my machine (due to a whole thing with Lenovo bunging up a warranty claim), and the backlit version, while very good for a laptop board, feels way less precise than the base version.  I still elect to run the backlit version for convenience, since I can dock the machine and use a mechanical board if I want the nicest possible key feel.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline jamster

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 22:17:56 »
What is the best rubber dome keyboard? (Please do not say Topre)
What is your experience and which one would you suggest?
Looking for a cheap full keyboard for office use.

What's wrong with Topre?

It's also a bit of a cliche. Topre boards are regarded by some as heads and shoulders above practically anything else that's reasonably easy to find. I'm in this group.

Offline jamster

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 22:31:17 »

Is this the pre-2005(ish) switches when they were made in some SE Asian country (might have been Thailand). I can't remember what the mechanism looked like, but yeah, those keyboards were amazing. I used to have old Thinkpads with those keyboards, and then bought an external USB version.

Then they moved production elsewhere, and later on went to chicklet. Both involved a drop in the typing experience.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 19:51:34 »

I'd agree with that sentiment in all cases except 2012 and earlier Thinkpads. The 440 just barely misses the cut. 

Up to the T420, Lenovo included a standard, non-island keyboard design that was mostly unchanged from the days of IBM ownership. It was the undisputed king of laptop boards with crisp, well defined key travel, well suited to long hours of typing. The T430, which is what I run, was a transition year. They did away with the classic keyboard in favor of a more modern island style with a cut down layout, but for that one year they still offered a non-backlit board that had the same underpinnings as the old boards (this is becasue the T430 was the last year to offer the Think Light, so technically you don't need a back light; you could elect to buy the backlit version for like $20 more on the order.) 

I've had both versions installed on my machine (due to a whole thing with Lenovo bunging up a warranty claim), and the backlit version, while very good for a laptop board, feels way less precise than the base version.  I still elect to run the backlit version for convenience, since I can dock the machine and use a mechanical board if I want the nicest possible key feel.

You're absolutely right about the Thinkpad keyboards. I selected for a relative a T420 that got them through med school. Keyboard was enough to type many reports and essays, and presentations long after that.

The T420 [classic-style] keyboard is better than most standalone rubber-domes. If they were commonly available for purchase as standalone keyboards of the same quality, I probably wouldn't have purchased a mechanical keyboard in the first place.

I also have a Gen-1 X1 Carbon, and it's keyboard is pretty good for a low-profile [Chiclet] rubber-dome. It would also be fine as a standalone keyboard. But part of it's strength comes from how it is integrated in the carbon-fibre roll-cage. Which doesn't happen in the standalone variants, as far as I understand.

So I wish Lenovo would make a classic-style standalone Thinkpad keyboard, commonly-available, and also the good X1-style keyboards. And also make the same thing in a 104-key or TKL layout. In terms of what people "need," most don't need more than a classic-style Thinkpad keyboard.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:45:43 »

Is this the pre-2005(ish) switches when they were made in some SE Asian country (might have been Thailand). I can't remember what the mechanism looked like, but yeah, those keyboards were amazing. I used to have old Thinkpads with those keyboards, and then bought an external USB version.

Then they moved production elsewhere, and later on went to chicklet. Both involved a drop in the typing experience.

I've used the Pre '05 switches briefly (I think on an R31) and yes, those were even better than those made up to 2012. But the '05-'12 switches dominated their class regardless, because the Thinkpad had so far to fall from its position as the business laptop industry leader.  Thanks to processor stagnation in the 2010s, T420s and 430s are still very usable laptops (I still daily an upgraded T430 and it handles most stuff just fine), so knowing about the latter switches might be useful to somebody looking for a good value used daily laptop, whereas the pre-'06 switches are more of a curiosity.

Even the Thinkpad keyboards from the backlit 430 through today are quite good, but it's much closer competition. Like I said, I have the choice of better feeling non-backlit and slightly worse backlit, and I choose backlit.
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 14:01:06 »
Someone already said it but BTC 5130 dome with slider. Fantastic. I prefer it to Topre. Mine is lubed and weighted with tire balance weight for nice heft. Pretty pleasant.

Offline phinix

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 17:55:38 »
I remember I had T460s and I loved that keyboard.
If there is Lenovo desktop keyboard with those switches and caps, I would buy it.