geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Considering Cherry MX browns? Try a Kinesis contoured.

<< < (3/4) > >>

djones:
Kinesis ergo was the first mechanical switch board I tried, about a year ago. Now, brown cherries are my 2nd favorite at the moment (#1 is topre's), but I did not like the kinesis ergo for several reasons:
a) The Ergo forces your hands/wrists/forearm to be 10 inches apart and parallel with each other. (try typing with your arms like that and see how comfortable it is). Huge mistake.
b) It's too damned big. I like my keyboard at/below knee level, and you can't do that with the ergo.
c) Over uses the thumb for modifiers. And the space/enter keys have a fixed angle... if you hands are too big/too small, you'll be contorting your hands every time.  Forget emacs with this board.
d) encourages pinky use, which, for me is a big problem as well.

alexlzl:
Same here, I just returned a brand new Kinesis Contoured Advantage. Interesting thing is when I was replacing a keycap, the stem on the switch below is actually blue (does that mean it is a Cherry Blue instead of Brown?).

I like the feeling of the keyboard, everything else I may be able to get used to it after couple weeks, however, two major flaws:

1) Enter is next to Space on right thumb. Imagine you mis-press Enter for a Space while doing "rm -rf ..." ??? I was too scared to continue getting used to it.

2) ESC key is a small plastic soft button (not a key). I know I can reconfigure it, still, not programmer friendly

Chloe:

--- Quote from: alexlzl;12664 ---Interesting thing is when I was replacing a keycap, the stem on the switch below is actually blue (does that mean it is a Cherry Blue instead of Brown?).
--- End quote ---

It should. Is it clicky or not? Cherry browns don't click. Could you post a photo of it if it isn't clicky?

alexlzl:
I didn't feel the keyboard is clicky, kind of on the soft light side, but still feels pretty good. Sorry the keyboard has been returned and I don't have a photo.

zwmalone:
There is one on eBay right now, bidding is at US $15.50

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version