Author Topic: TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard  (Read 154876 times)

Offline Ailment

Re: TS65 - The Split 65% Keyboard
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 07:36:49 »
Thanks all for the ideas.  I am US based but will check the other options. When reading it looks like you can replace a cap with one of higher voltage but this being my first board I do not want to cause myself any problems by straying too far from the formula.  If I have to troubleshoot an issue I don’t want to be second guessing my components.

Managed to find UK waiting for stock of those:
CC0805KKX7R6BB105-SMD Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor, 0805 [2012 Metric], 1 µF, 10 V, ± 10%, X7R, CC Series-http://uk.farnell.com/yageo-phycomp/cc0805kkx7r6bb105/cap-mlcc-x7r-1uf-10v-0805/dp/3352067RL#

Also found this in Stock:
AP8803WTG-7 -  Led Driver, 1 Output, Buck (Step Down), 8V-30V in, 500kHz switch,1A out, TSOT-23-5- http://uk.farnell.com/diodes-inc/ap8803wtg-7/ic-led-driver-buck-1a-5tsot23/dp/1825359

For the rest, Later will go to my shop and ask if they have something more.
Would love to pay you for one of the PCBs

Don’t think I’m anywhere close on selling yet but if I can get them up and running I will let you know.

Offline thread

« Reply #251 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 15:47:54 »
Sweet project! I'm very interested. Why are there not more split 65% projects?

Offline hariseldon

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 20:30:53 »
I am very interested in this board, it is getting close to my endgame board.

Can we get the PCB off of OSH Park?

Or are there schematics of the PCB we can acquire and send to a manufacturer ourselves?

Thanks!!

Offline Ailment

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 21:20:31 »
It’s open source, the Github link is in the first post.  You can get the files needed to have one made as well as additional info there.

Offline Ailment

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 17:07:52 »
Finally got all the parts in and soldered everything up but going to have to troubleshoot.  Anyone have any quick steps I could take?  A Few of the RGB leds light up green for a split second when plugged in but no devices found.  The Crystal is a ***** to hand solder (also my first time doing components) but I did not have much trouble with other stuff after I had some practice  (the first board I did was a practice and I definitely lifted a pad on the atmega trying to wick a bridge away, the second went a lot better :P)  I am close enough to taste it but still not quite there.  If I knew the minimum amount of things to solder on that would get it to boot I could do another one and see what happens.  Will try to look through the documents for how everything is wired but not sure I will be able to track it down without some assistance. Thanks!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #255 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:53:13 »
Have a look at the schematics, bare minimum section are,
- Microcontroller
- Crystal
- USB Circuit

MCU can be reset by shorting MCURST and +5V

Offline Ailment

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:59:50 »
Have a look at the schematics, bare minimum section are,
- Microcontroller
- Crystal
- USB Circuit

MCU can be reset by shorting MCURST and +5V

Perfect! Thanks for the assistance MOZ.  I’ll prob just solder up another one bare bones to test.  Ip4234cz6 and crystal have no specific orientation correct?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 07:50:16 »
Ip4234cz6 does, crystal doesn't.

Offline Ailment

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 11:36:43 »
****!  :thumb: I seen the dot on the board but the one on the chip is microscopic, thanks again.  Hope to get one going this weekend.

Offline Ailment

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 20:34:27 »
Thanks for all the help!  Got a board up and running, just been playing with firmware the last couple nights and learning QMK.
Attaching a bunch of crap for anyone else.

KLE of the setup [json attached]
201298-0

Keymap [hex attached]
201301-1

Switch Hitter layout also attached for testing switches. left ctrl doesnt light up ?? but you can see it on the log, space is just a long 4u piece as it only lit up one half when I had the split setup.  FN doesnt register alone so do fn + esc to light up shift.

Also, I have a modified right plate STL that works with my layout.  Not sure if it's cool to just attach, I should probably figure out how to use git...
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 20:37:36 by Ailment »

Offline Ailment

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 09:57:24 »
Can anyone with a board confirm the RGB lighting does not flow between both halves smoothly?  Assume it is a physical wiring thing from my knowledge of led strips but I’m not sure if some matrix is defined someplace that I can change.  For reference
Current
->|  —->|
<-|  <——-|

Desired
|—————>|
|<—————|

Offline marhalloweenvt

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 22:45:52 »
Does that issue related to this fix?

Here is the temporary fix for RGB in case any one was interested:

Offline Ailment

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 07:57:25 »
The boards I have  are a newer revision that do not need that fix.

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 03:40:05 »
Does anyone have a PCB for sale :)Would love to get one.

Offline Ailment

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 18:02:20 »
looked at the wiring and the RGB issue does look to be a physical wiring thing.  I will have to see if this is something I can tackle.  I am not sure exactly what is being used for the RGB lighting but I have played a little with fastled and know you can define a matrix, that may be beyond the scope of something i can do in QMK.  I have never done any PCB design stuff but I may be able to figure it out for an update to the board.

FYI based on the wiring diagram this is how I interperet the flow and it lines up with what I am seeing.
|---------------------Left Half----------------|  |-----------------------Right Half----------------------------------|
LEDG2 >> LEDG3 >> LEDG4 >> LEDG5 V|  |LEDG11  >> LEDG12 >> LEDG13 >> LEDG14 >> LEDG15 V|
LEDG9 << LEDG8 << LEDG7 << LEDG6 <|  |LEDG20 << LEDG19 << LEDG18 << LEDG17 << LEDG16 <|

To fix this I think you would go RGBLDIN >> R24 >> LEDG6 DIN so six becomes the first light in the strip, would have to get rid of the ledg5 to 6 connection.
Then LEDG9 DOUT to LEDG2 DIN and LEDG5 would go to RGBLDOUT plus vdd etc but I don't really follow that flow yet. 
New setup would look like
|---------------------Left Half---------------|
>LEDG6 >> LEDG7 >> LEDG8 >> LEDG9 |
^LEDG5 << LEDG4 << LEDG3 << LEDG2 |

Purely an asthetic thing if you use any of the chase style modes but bothers my OCD tendancies I guess :P. For my work board ill probably just use a static color and implement changing color when activating layers so it wouldn't even be noticeable. 

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 18:08:01 by Ailment »

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 03:16:32 »
Moz this is awesome, especially the version with the thumbstick.

I currently have the parts printing. I will get the PCB fabbed from the github, everything fixed / fully working with that design? Any special considerations or things to bare in mind when ordering the PCB build?

p.s Sorry to necro but I'm fairly sure this project is still alive.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 03:48:24 »
Does anyone have a PCB for sale :)Would love to get one.

I'm going to get at least one fabbed soon. It's cheaper the more you buy so if you want in I'm happy to setup a bit of a groupbuy situation.

I know we're probably in different countries but due to the low weight and shape it's probably easy to ship (I also have family in Chicago so I often get them to proxy when I send over gifts etc).

Offline Ailment

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:16:24 »
Moz this is awesome, especially the version with the thumbstick.

I currently have the parts printing. I will get the PCB fabbed from the github, everything fixed / fully working with that design? Any special considerations or things to bare in mind when ordering the PCB build?

p.s Sorry to necro but I'm fairly sure this project is still alive.

Everything worked on my build but I did not try the rotary dial, track point or lcd. I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t though.  Only thing I found was the above post, just cosmetic with the way the underglow leds are wired.  Some of the components were a bit hard to track down, an update with usb C would be cool but I think this is pretty much stale unless someone else decides to pick up the torch for a revision.  There are a couple other split 65s now, I have not looked up full details but they are probably lacking in the bottom row options and track point etc.

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #268 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 00:00:19 »
One-click away from ordering the PCBs from JLC. Tried to keep up with the project, however not too much time. As far as I went rough this awesome project I saw that the issues are fixed PCB wise. Has anyone tried the BT to see whether it is working or not? :) Going to try and order the parts for the wireless and see if it will properly work :)

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 16:53:48 »
Phew, I'm finally done with rev 0.6, which is also the third time I've rerouted the whole PCB. I was able to retain the rotary encoder as I needed extra space above the top row because of the large USB 3.0 receptacle.

Will clean up the files and upload to GitHub this weekend. I also intend to place the order for 5 PCBs with PCBWay for the TS65 and SAMPad.

This is an absolute dream board Moz, thank you so much for the efforts put into this. I am digging around now to understand how I can get it built.

I am wondering, why is the rotary encoder positioned above the top row? Is this due to ALPS support on the keys themselves?
Could you not add the appropriate footprint over a key, similar to how the OLKB planck has it in the bottom left corner.

Once that testing is done, I'll move to building the TS65. Two major changes to the QMK configuration will be,
1. Scanning the matrix on the left side via the multiplexer. I'm going through the configuration for bpiphany's controller to see how it's done.
2. Communication over I2C for the right side.

Once these basics are done, I'll move to adding support for the rotary encoder and testing the trackpoint functionality.

Picking up a couple of old comments here. Moz, was the above done? Any advice on how the rotary encoder connects to the PCB?

I guess... I would love to replace key S1:16 with a dial, this would be the ideal location, if it were possible.

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang