Author Topic: PSA: STOP SPAMMING  (Read 374827 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:27:58 »
You can't force people to use something like a forum and expect quality posts. That is silly logic. While I enjoy both Reddit and GH, all this has done is bring the bad parts of Reddit over to GH in force. Someone should want to participate on their own simply to be a part of the community, not because they want some little keycap. People that simply want to participate just because, are going to be the ones that contribute quality posts to the community. I also feel like there is value in lurking. In many cases, starting off lurking is really where you spend the time reading up on everything and really learning tons. Forcing people to start posting after knowing mechanical keyboards existed for only a week just doesn't seem like a great idea. There are also people that just don't enjoy the social aspect of forums, and I don't really like the idea of forcing them to be like "everyone else" either.

If coordinated with the mods, perhaps a forum could be made where a post count/time limit was needed to post, and thus being able to post on that forum would be needed for sales. In the current state, the mods just got thrown under a bus it seems.

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:37:13 »
You can't force people to use something like a forum and expect quality posts. That is silly logic. While I enjoy both Reddit and GH, all this has done is bring the bad parts of Reddit over to GH in force. Someone should want to participate on their own simply to be a part of the community, not because they want some little keycap. People that simply want to participate just because, are going to be the ones that contribute quality posts to the community. I also feel like there is value in lurking. In many cases, starting off lurking is really where you spend the time reading up on everything and really learning tons. Forcing people to start posting after knowing mechanical keyboards existed for only a week just doesn't seem like a great idea. There are also people that just don't enjoy the social aspect of forums, and I don't really like the idea of forcing them to be like "everyone else" either.

If coordinated with the mods, perhaps a forum could be made where a post count/time limit was needed to post, and thus being able to post on that forum would be needed for sales. In the current state, the mods just got thrown under a bus it seems.
Or if you want to establish a minimum post count you should also have a maximum posts per day ratio.

So, you can post as much as you want, but until your 50+ posts level out to less than 3 per day you can't buy caps.

I know my posts per day is like 7 (every one solid gold) but I've been here longer, so maybe make the ratio a function of their membership length. Minimum 50 posts, and maximum X posts per day times the number of months you've been a member.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:51:58 »

Or if you want to establish a minimum post count you should also have a maximum posts per day ratio.

So, you can post as much as you want, but until your 50+ posts level out to less than 3 per day you can't buy caps.

I know my posts per day is like 7 (every one solid gold) but I've been here longer, so maybe make the ratio a function of their membership length. Minimum 50 posts, and maximum X posts per day times the number of months you've been a member.
Just to be able to have a chance at a keycap? Sound ideas for sure, though seems like overkill and hard to enforce. At that rate just flat out say "friends only."

Offline chrisism

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:36:31 »
But how does one really conclude whether or not someone is spamming? in an active discussion it would not be uncommon to reach 4-5+ post an hour....

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:42:29 »
But how does one really conclude whether or not someone is spamming? in an active discussion it would not be uncommon to reach 4-5+ post an hour....

Definitely! My feeling is that if users are actively contributing to a post, asking questions, giving advice, sharing media, etc. then they aren't spamming. It's when you see a user post "+1" to discussions which are years old when you start to question if they actually are interested in contributing versus getting a kewl keycap.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:43:25 »
But how does one really conclude whether or not someone is spamming?

Offline chrisism

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:43:44 »

but then it comes down to people that have say, 300 post, but have been members for 3 years. The post/day count would be a difficult metric to determine how involved a person is within the community. Besides lurkers have their place and this does nothing but punish them. I personally believe in a "If I have nothing worth saying, don't say it at all" approach to things however; this forced involvement is arbitrary and does nothing more then put people like me in an uncomfortable position.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 23:50:15 »
The problem here is that there are too many extrinsic sources of motivation for posting. (i.e. classifieds, stars, artisans)
Ideally people should be intrinsically motivated by the simple desire to contribute; Post for the sake of the post and nothing else.
It also doesn't help the conflict that there is a stigma tied to "meaningless" posts. I think that such tomfoolery has its place here as long as people keep it within reason.
I myself have made many **** posts but I don't think anyone has called me out on it since a vast portion of what I post has real content.
If you ask me, I don't think post count should be displayed the way it is. Post count should not be a badge that we wear to feel that we are entitled or above others, rather, a mere statistic hidden from plain view.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:02:23 »
The problem here is that there are too many extrinsic sources of motivation for posting. (i.e. classifieds, stars, artisans)
Ideally people should be intrinsically motivated by the simple desire to contribute; Post for the sake of the post and nothing else.
It also doesn't help the conflict that there is a stigma tied to "meaningless" posts. I think that such tomfoolery has its place here as long as people keep it within reason.
I myself have made many **** posts but I don't think anyone has called me out on it since a vast portion of what I post has real content.
If you ask me, I don't think post count should be displayed the way it is. Post count should not be a badge that we wear to feel that we are entitled or above others, rather, a mere statistic hidden from plain view.

Post count has its place in the public view. If I'm joining a GB I want the leader to have a respectable presence, and that's an easy way to check. Likewise, advice and answers to my questions are more credible coming from someone with a higher post count. I'm not necessarily saying in the thousands, just high enough to show that they aren't some noob wandering in with no business advising others.

And I'm also okay with tangential posts as long as they don't totally derail the thread, and as long as they're not Emma Stone GIFs.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:11:13 »
Instead of removing post counts, why not just make it to where you can only get X counts per given time period? That way, if a person is posting like crazy to get their post count up, it'll be futile.

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:27:00 »
as long as they're not Emma Stone GIFs.

Shots fired. Get Rekt, FrostyToast.

Taylor Swift GIFs > Emma Stone GIFs

GG no re

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:27:54 »

GG no re

vesssperrrrrr

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:33:46 »
vesssperrrrrr

halverrrrrsooooooooon

Shark-senpai <3

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:34:10 »

GG no re

What about the tom cruise gifs?!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 00:35:46 »

BRUH.

Tom Cruise GIFs > Taylor Swizz GIFs >>>>>> Emma Stone GIFs, BRUH.

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:11:30 »
I've been seeing posts such as:

Hey look a random post saying nothing here.
and right after that post
Now just have to do that (see above) 25 more times.

Stuff like this is blatantly spam and contributes nothing. Hell, most OG's here would prefer to see a gif over stuff like that. At least ****post smartly and put some thought and effort into it...

Hey thanks for calling me out as one of those evil spammers.

As a person that's been over at Reddit and coming over here I feel that I blundered into a bar brawl.  Yeah I posted that - in jest and unaware of the reasons and stories behind this Charlie foxtrot.  I've come over to learn about my new hobby and be better informed.  Mostly what I've learned is to question if GH wants new members.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:17:10 »
New members are always welcome, spam is not, big difference

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:28:54 »

Stuff like this is blatantly spam and contributes nothing. Hell, most OG's here would prefer to see a gif over stuff like that. At least ****post smartly and put some thought and effort into it...

As a person that's been over at Reddit and coming over here I feel that I blundered into a bar brawl.  Yeah I posted that - in jest and unaware of the reasons and stories behind this Charlie foxtrot.  I've come over to learn about my new hobby and be better informed.  Mostly what I've learned is to question if GH wants new members.

Didn't mention any names. Hell, didn't even know that was you, simply just quoted what I saw.

If thats not spam, I don't know what is. But its really not a big deal. Seems like you have since realized it was spam and now contributing to the community.  :thumb:

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:30:45 »

How do you have 0 posts?

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:35:33 »

Didn't mention any names. Hell, didn't even know that was you, simply just quoted what I saw.

If thats not spam, I don't know what is. But its really not a big deal. Seems like you have since realized it was spam and now contributing to the community.  :thumb:

No problem.  Never been called a spammer before and wasn't really sure how to digest that.

Eta: if I was spamming to get on the sale I would have noticed that none of my posts today have counted :-)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:03:00 by Texchappy »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:43:37 »
I think someone actually froze the post counts. I've been watching one member post in several topics, and he hasn't moved off of 49.

Edit: Never mind, I just went up by one.

Hmm

Hmm??? Were they actually frozen?

Huh

Gonna be a few sad pandas like this poor fella:

Does GH have a post limit per day? I was trying to participate in the sale and not ****post but its not counting them any more. I would really like a lycan.

I'm sorry, but geekhack is a keyboard forum, not a marketplace, and is run by volunteers.  We need to do what we can to keep the quality posts to a maximum and the spam posts to a minimum.  I hate to sound like a prick, but I value the mod team's sanity over someone being able to buy a keycap.

i love you :-*
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:28:37 »
There should definitely be a better alternative to this, a post count minimum just causes too much spam. If it was only by how long you've been registered on the forums then could result in a lot of accounts being created without any activity. If there had to be requirements then I feel that a mix of both would be best for the forums, perhaps 50 posts and 1 or 2 months on the forum. Who knows, but there definitely needs to be a better option.

Well for the actual forum-instilled limits, it's both post count and membership time.

I'd never understood why this was and having been asleep when this was going on I can only imagine how bad it got, but it's now making sense.  Like everything in life should have it's a s**t filter - all newbies have to be excluded (even the genuinely interested ones we want in our community) because we live in a world that's half full of asshats who will do anything to get what they want :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 03:06:45 »

BRUH.

Who's forgetting Scarlett Johansson?

PS. Posting here doesn't seem to affect my post count :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:32:44 »

you are acting as if this is the effect we tried for

firstly, adding a post count is nothing new, clack factory has required both a post count and minimum amount of time registered on the site before for most sales

gh itself requires a minimum post count for access to certain parts of the forum

right now, we have a huge amount of demand for the product we offer, the rule was put in place to protect the community not destroy it

whilst we cant meet demand, we want to do everything in our power to ensure people within the community have the best possible chance

now, i understand post count is a bit of a ham fisted way to do this, and we certainly dont want to encourage spam, im sure there are plenty of people that invest huge time and money in this community that dont actively post, and it is certainly not our intention to not include people like that, this is a temporary measure taken until we can have a better system in place

rest assured, i am screening accounts, and people just spamming to hit 50 will be seen

we have a much better system planned for the next sale

for now, stop spamming, i will be speaking with hoff about this, and anyone who he himself deems to have been negatively affecting the forum as a direct result of this i will look in to, and take action on a case by case basis

and for everyone making such a fuss about this post count thing, get over it, this is a hobby, and its meant to be fun, from time to time we will have to make decisions that you may not like, but we are looking at the bigger picture, and whilst you may not agree with some of the things we do, we will always be doing it for a reason

nothing last forever, we are keyboard enthusiasts, this is all trial and error

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:40:38 »

firstly, adding a post count is nothing new, clack factory has required both a post count and minimum amount of time registered on the site before for most sales

gh itself requires a minimum post count for access to certain parts of the forum

right now, we have a huge amount of demand for the product we offer, the rule was put in place to protect the community not destroy it

whilst we cant meet demand, we want to do everything in our power to ensure people within the community have the best possible chance

now, i understand post count is a bit of a ham fisted way to do this, and we certainly dont want to encourage spam, im sure there are plenty of people that invest huge time and money in this community that dont actively post, and it is certainly not our intention to not include people like that, this is a temporary measure taken until we can have a better system in place

rest assured, i am screening accounts, and people just spamming to hit 50 will be seen

for now, stop spamming, i will be speaking with hoff about this, and anyone who he himself deems to have been negatively affecting the forum as a direct result of this i will look in to, and take action on a case by case basis

and for everyone making such a fuss about this post count thing, get over it, this is a hobby, and its meant to be fun, from time to time we will have to make decisions that you may not like, but we are looking at the bigger picture, and whilst you may not agree with some of the things we do, we will always be doing it for a reason

i know you probably dont mean this but the way you worded your post equivocates fans of your/bro caps' products to the entire community. that is, at least for me, one of the biggest reasons this 'brotember' has been so obnoxious -- we are seeing a massive influx of your potential customers, who are not necessarily congruent with geekhack community members, new or old.

thanks for taking the time to comment. without knowing more of the details, i still think you guys are pretty good at whipping up hype for collectable boy toys (sorry if that's a pointed statement, but duhhhh) but the way that affects geekhack, to me, the bad outweighs the good by a huge margin.

you basically have free advertising in a community (regardless of how much money you spend on community endeavors, they are still limited to the particular subset of participants) and i think there should be more care exercised in what that advertising entails and the effect it has.  but the fact that you have popped in to discuss this at all shows you are thinking about it and i appreciate that.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:47:54 »

i know you probably dont mean this but the way you worded your post equivocates fans of your/bro caps' products to the entire community. that is, at least for me, one of the biggest reasons this 'brotember' has been so obnoxious -- we are seeing a massive influx of your potential customers, who are not necessarily congruent with geekhack community members, new or old.

thanks for taking the time to comment. without knowing more of the details, i still think you guys are pretty good at whipping up hype for collectable boy toys (sorry if that's a pointed statement, but duhhhh) but the way that affects geekhack, to me, the bad outweighs the good by a huge margin.

you basically have free advertising in a community (regardless of how much money you spend on community endeavors, they are still limited to the particular subset of participants) and i think there should be more care exercised in what that advertising entails and the effect it has.  but the fact that you have popped in to discuss this at all shows you are thinking about it and i appreciate that.

i dont think everyone in the community likes what we do, but i think we do what we do for the members of the community that do like us

i cant be held accountable for the actions of a few idiots, who think that they can spam 50 posts and get a bro cap

as for this thread, and the whole issue, i havent been on gh all month, this is all the first im hearing about it, and my first thoughts and comments about it also

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 04:50:16 »
i dont think everyone in the community likes what we do, but i think we do what we do for the members of the community that do like us

i cant be held accountable for the actions of a few idiots, who think that they can spam 50 posts and get a bro cap

as for this thread, and the whole issue, i havent been on gh all month, this is all the first im hearing about it, and my first thoughts and comments about it also

yeah im not trying to blame things on you, tbh im surprised you are online at all.
just mentioning in plain terms what i see as a problem, and i guess some appreciation that you're willing to address it, and additionally i am aware that you and BC arent the same person nor do you like, work in perfect concert to do what you do, so rest assured that what i'm saying is not entirely directed at you.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:07:39 »
PSA: No one who is spamming reads this section of the forum way at the bottom of the pile.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:24:05 »
Well, the sale will be over soon. Maybe the rain of **** posts that it prompted will return to normal levels and the mods can take a break from digging us out of this pile of dung.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:27:47 »
PSA: No one who is spamming reads this section of the forum way at the bottom of the pile.

:(

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 06:54:09 »

PSA: No one who is spamming reads.

FTFY

My boards:
More

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:16:55 »

:(
Hahaha this is probably true =p

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:46:07 »

yeah im not trying to blame things on you, tbh im surprised you are online at all.
just mentioning in plain terms what i see as a problem, and i guess some appreciation that you're willing to address it, and additionally i am aware that you and BC arent the same person nor do you like, work in perfect concert to do what you do, so rest assured that what i'm saying is not entirely directed at you.

Sth, I'm quoting you bc I want you to read this, not because it is directed solely at you.  I appreciate and value your insight.

It's easy for us all to forget the things CtrlAlt, Bro, and artisans in general have done for the forum. Bunny in particular has given away so much stuff, including whole $300 keyboards (Advent giveaway last year).  They have run awesome GB's.

It's easy to forget that the whole reason for the post count req in the first place was to help GH's membership have better access to Bro Caps' products. Bro will always sell out of his caps, every sale, so it's of no benefit to him to have "free advertising" or to give priority to any group of people. But this is the place that has given him the most support and so he wanted to make sure the membership here had access to his products.

Of course we can all see that we underestimate how selfish/desperate/obsessive people can be to work the system. Hoff and others have said they are taking measures to correct this. Bunny has said that they are taking measures to prevent this.

I personally think it would be great if there were a blanket "first 10 posts of the day counts" rule. You make 30 posts, only the first 10 count. Of course sby could still spam, but at least it would be throttled and maybe they could come up with 10 posts with real content if they had a 24 hour gap to think about it.

For those few who post more than 10x/day legitimately, I don't think they really care about post count (SpamRay, CPTBadAss, and Hoff).

Anyway I love this place no matter what and I'm encouraged to see quite a few new names over the last week posting real content. It's just gotten lost in the spam rage. We all agree and hope that it will die down now that the sale is over.  And some of those new folks will stay and contribute, which is a long-term win. If I have to "mark all as read" a couple of times, no biggie. Life will go on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:48:15 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:01:41 »
If I am not mistaken, the post counting has been cancel, or confined to very few threads. I do not know if this is general or only applied to some accounts, I had mine got into stall since yesterday, was it because something I wrote? Who knows.

8) 8)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:22:19 »

BRUH.

Just so I understand where do Alison Brie gifs fit into all of this....?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:30:28 »

BRUH.

Show Image

if those arent acceptable in every thread, im on the wrong forum

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:53:05 »

Well, you can put me on your ****list.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:54:13 »
Here's a sad thought: No one spammed Making Stuff Together.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:57:59 »

Nah, even the spammers know not to **** with the best sub-forum on here   >:D

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:59:17 »

lawl

do you know that even Great Finds got spam
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:07:23 »
Show Image

Hhnnngg... She's definitely going to have to sandwich in between Tom and Taylor, if only barely in front for T-Swizz. Alison Brie just has better GIFs.

Tom Cruise GIFs > Alison Brie GIFs > Taylor Swift GIFs >>>>>> Emma Stone GIFs

Are Alison Brie and T-Swizz GIFs allowed there?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:09:59 »
TL; DR, you're all dumb..except Hoff and Capt.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:12:08 »
While I do appreciate all those pretty girls GIFs, we are trying to be serious here.. You know! PSA is a SERIOUS thread. Come on guys... no more GIFs!!!!!!!!!!!

can you show more Alison's GIF please, please??

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:13:48 »

See, this kinda stuff is exactly the reason why everyone makes fun of Raiders fans. But we shouldn't do that, because illiteracy is a serious issue!  :(

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:14:18 »

See, this kinda stuff is exactly the reason why everyone makes fun of Raiders fans. But we shouldn't do that, because illiteracy is a serious issue!  :(

4-3 brother, 4-3.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:18:02 »

BRUH.

Show Image

I would ban myself if Alison Brie gifs weren't allowed.

If I am not mistaken, the post counting has been cancel, or confined to very few threads. I do not know if this is general or only applied to some accounts, I had mine got into stall since yesterday, was it because something I wrote? Who knows.

8) 8)

It's universal - you didn't do anything wrong.  :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:19:07 »
Once you post your way past the 10000 mark, you ascend past such trivial things as post count numbers. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:20:31 »

4-3 brother, 4-3.

With a loss da Bears... DA BEARS!!

Oh, and you're still three games back of the undefeated Broncos.  :cool:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:21:36 »
Let's end this on a positive note...Can I get a "Radier Nation" on 3? ....1...2...3!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:21:51 »

4-3 brother, 4-3.

With a loss da Bears... DA BEARS!!

Oh, and you're still three games back of the undefeated Broncos.  :cool:

Broncos suck