Author Topic: [IC] Injection Molded MX Stem Inserts  (Read 3715 times)

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
[IC] Injection Molded MX Stem Inserts
« on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 00:08:02 »
Based on my experience with making wood keycaps and some conversations with makers of artisans, a common problem is how fragile the key stems are. This is the solution to that problem, injection molded plastic key stems. Perfect for making cast resin artisans, wood keycaps, or repairing broken keys.

I reached out to SP, and they will be able to produce these at what I think are reasonable prices. I had previously quoted prices with some other companies, but the prices were too high to make this feasible. SP has been very responsive and I am confident that they can make a quality product.

Fill out the Survey

Offline LastBrat

Re: [IC] Injection Molded MX Stem Inserts
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:17:57 »
Great idea!
How tall would these be: SA R3, DSA  or what?

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:47:07 »
Great idea!
How tall would these be: SA R3, DSA  or what?
It's just a stem, dude.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 04:15:11 »
Well, even just a stem, you still need to know the height. You don't want a R1 cap with a stem too short, or R3 with stem too long.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:49:23 »
The fit/profile all depends on what you put around the stem.

You could build a 3x height SA Row-1 cap if you wanted, and it'd still use the same stem.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:02:58 »
The fit/profile all depends on what you put around the stem.

You could build a 3x height SA Row-1 cap if you wanted, and it'd still use the same stem.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying or what this project is, not all stems are the same length.  The stem in an R1 SA cap is longer than the stem in an R3 GMK cap and you can't interchange them. 

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:24:48 »
The idea is to adapt anything you want to put this stem in, to the stem itself. It may work for artisans that want to create something new, but for people that want to replace a broken stem it may not work, unless a lot of work is done to adapt the key cap to the stem length.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:31:34 »
I have already tried making thing before with SLA printer, but its really hard to apply on artisan or repair broken keycaps.. but i dont know.. maybe its just me...

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 11:11:13 »
Yes, absolutely the stem height is important. If you've ever looked at DSA vs SA, the stems are not the same at all. These will be designed to fit the shortest height, probably DSA but some cherry profile are even shorter. That means there will be some modification necessary to support taller stems. One possibility would be to fill the top of the cap with resin or epoxy to the necessary height and flatness for the replacement stem. I can imagine the need for a jig to help with positioning the stem. A similar jig would probably be necessary for artisans as well.

This is all still being designed, I need as much feedback as possible to make sure it will fit everyones needs. The main thing I'm focusing on is whether there will be enough interest to hit an MOQ.

Offline loganville

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 11:47:28 »
Any updates on this?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk