Author Topic: StarCraft II with GeekHack  (Read 165021 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

StarCraft II with GeekHack
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 12:49:42 »
Yet again I'll explain

I know how to add a friend if I see them in SC2 somehow

HOWEVER

Having a list of usernames at the top of the thread... with no emails or ID#s... does not give enough information to be able to add a friend.

Unless I'm missing some way to do it from the Bnet link.

Offline hate

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 12:56:58 »
hate 157 on eu, just restarted playing 1/1

http://www.sc2ranks.com/eu/837099/hate
cherry black | topre | 빈 수레가 요란하다

Offline Crypt

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 14:26:48 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261706
Infestors
Ultralisks

Colloxen
Storm

Siege Tanks
Hellions

there
I'm not sure if that was directed at me.  My point wasn't that there aren't units that can efficiently kill infantry, but rather that even in high ranked games, I find that my opponents do not get those units.  I can honestly say that < 5% of my opponents use storm or infestors.  Ultralisks are too late, and it's difficult to get a 2nd expo in a 2v2.  Siege tanks are good.  Hellion don't do well against infantry, and I find Colossai easy to counter, since I already have a reactor starport.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 14:41:00 »
I was referring to those as being good vs massed marines, but not to be demeaning to you.  Those units always give me the most trouble.

Hellions aren't good late game, but everyone always underestimates the mobility and AoE of blue flame Hellions mid-game.

Offline Crypt

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 14:51:04 »
Indeed, my standard build "for fun" these days is gas before rax with a quick hellion marine harrass...

1 rax rines
immediate factory hellion
banshee
expansion
+2x rax

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 16:20:23 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;261804
I was referring to those as being good vs massed marines, but not to be demeaning to you.  Those units always give me the most trouble.

Hellions aren't good late game, but everyone always underestimates the mobility and AoE of blue flame Hellions mid-game.

Upgraded Hellions rape in late game. Part of why Zergs don't like getting hydra against Terran.

Crypt, define high rated. I see all those anti-infantry units on a regular basis.

And Ultra really don't do that well against Marines because they can be Stim kited. Banelings with a few Infestors on the other hand...
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline hate

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 06:33:56 »
mass infantry is the counter to ultras.
helions are terrible for anything other than economy harasment.

infestors right now are not so popular due to their high gas cost and the infantry tank style that most terrans play. infestors die too fast to tank fire + you need to micro banelings at the same time so they dont hit tanks or marauders.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 08:49:58 »
Quote from: Crypt;261787
I'm not sure if that was directed at me.  My point wasn't that there aren't units that can efficiently kill infantry, but rather that even in high ranked games, I find that my opponents do not get those units.  I can honestly say that < 5% of my opponents use storm or infestors.  Ultralisks are too late, and it's difficult to get a 2nd expo in a 2v2.  Siege tanks are good.  Hellion don't do well against infantry, and I find Colossai easy to counter, since I already have a reactor starport.

It takes forever to tech up to storm, and it's usually a more awkward path to get to than colossus. Protoss is almost always going to build a robo facility because you're probably opening with banshees, and they need observers (and even if you aren't going banshee, observers are still really good). They're just one building away from colossus.

To get storm, you first have to get twilight council, which you usually want to get eventually for the upgrades, but is less urgent than detection. Maybe you'll have it early if you open blink stalker or DT rush... Then you have to get the templar archives, then you have to research storm and then you have to research the amulet before you can use it effectively. If you don't have the amulet, you're warping in units that have to stand around and do nothing for half an hour while their energy builds up (at least ghosts have a regular attack). And it's harder to use correctly than colossus, and by the time you get storm and can use it, ghosts will already be out, which makes it a huge crap-shoot.

Storm is great, don't get me wrong, but there's a very good reason you don't see it unless a game goes like 30+ minutes, and most games don't.
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline Crypt

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 09:22:42 »
Quote from: Azuremen;261841
Crypt, define high rated. I see all those anti-infantry units on a regular basis.
We're consistently matched against top 10 2v2 teams, some of which are surprisingly bad, TBH, even for team players.  The only anti-infantry units I see regularly are Siege Tanks and Colossai (which I find easy to counter.)

@Fwiffo:
It's 2v2, so my partner always techs everything while focusing on Zealots to conserve gas.  We're able to get to psi storm in most games that way.  Charge Zealots + HT and any random Terran army is good vs. almost anything.

I think the problem of the other teams is that they're still playing like it's a double 1v1 match instead of playing off the strengths and weaknesses of a combined 2 race army.  As an aside, Banshee rushes aren't nearly as common against us as low tech attacks.

Offline hate

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 13:37:37 »
even after the reaper nerf 2/2 is terribly broken, there are very good 80-90% win rate builds out there

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 14:28:29 »
I'd like to know what they are as I've heard of no such thing.  I know 2v2 isn't considered nearly as competitive as 1v1 but I still think it is fairly 'balanced'.

I became #1 worldwide in 2v2 Platinum last night.  I want to get back into Diamond again so much.  10 game win streak.  Plat games aren't as fun (aside from all the winning).

Offline Crypt

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 14:52:42 »
I never see reapers in 2v2.  Then again, we're usually T/P, and maybe people don't like to reaper against that combo?

On the other hand, I've won a good % of games with drone rush, LOL!  (double extractor trick to get 12 drones and attack!)  I think one team we beat like that was rank 5 or so...ridiculous.

@Andrew, what races do you guys play...or do you play in random teams?

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 15:27:19 »
You rarely see reapers anymore after everyone cried about them.

T/Z
remember only platinum now though
and im only gold 1v1 but i dont play that as much

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 17:29:10 »
Quote from: hate;262156
mass infantry is the counter to ultras.
helions are terrible for anything other than economy harasment.

infestors right now are not so popular due to their high gas cost and the infantry tank style that most terrans play. infestors die too fast to tank fire + you need to micro banelings at the same time so they dont hit tanks or marauders.

Umm. What?

Hellions melt Zealot Sentry. Like "lol MELTING" status. Against Zerg, they ruin Hydras and Lings. Good for a bit more beyond harass.

At the 1300 point level, yes, people don't use infestors. I can't remember the last time I didn't see a Zerg get Infestors.

Quote from: Crypt;262234
We're consistently matched against top 10 2v2 teams, some of which are surprisingly bad, TBH, even for team players.  The only anti-infantry units I see regularly are Siege Tanks and Colossai (which I find easy to counter.)

2v2 high level and 1v1 high level are completely different beasts. I've seen 2v2 teams that literally just all-in every game and have no clue how to play anything resembling a standard game, and these are diamond 2v2 teams. Often, the better a group is at team games, the worse each player is in 1v1.

Quote from: AndrewZorn;262442
I'd like to know what they are as I've heard of no such thing.  I know 2v2 isn't considered nearly as competitive as 1v1 but I still think it is fairly 'balanced'.

You weren't around for the 6 or 7 pool with Proxy 6 rax reaper where you? One of the most "lol balance" things I ever saw. The depot before Barracks nerf killed that out mostly. But 2v2 is hardly balanced. So many early all-ins that are just brutally effective and so on.

Quote from: Fwiffo
Storm is great, don't get me wrong, but there's a very good reason you don't see it unless a game goes like 30+ minutes, and most games don't.

I generally get storm out before the 15 minute mark. If I scout tanks, I can get it out before 10 minutes. People talk about how impossible it is to tech to storm, but the time it takes to get there isn't the issue as much as the concern about Ghosts. I usually will get Storm out before I have Colossi out in PvZ.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Flickr

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 18:53:29 »
Quote from: Azuremen;262554
You weren't around for the 6 or 7 pool with Proxy 6 rax reaper where you? One of the most "lol balance" things I ever saw. The depot before Barracks nerf killed that out mostly. But 2v2 is hardly balanced. So many early all-ins that are just brutally effective and so on.

Why yes, I was around for that.  However, the past does not influence me when I use present-tense.

I don't see much to complain about in 2v2 that I don't complain about in 1v1.  Yes, it plays differently, T1 units win the game... that doesn't make it broken.

Offline Crypt

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 20:13:48 »
Quote from: Azuremen;262554
2v2 high level and 1v1 high level are completely different beasts.
Agreed, that's why I tried to emphasize 2v2 and team games in every one of my posts.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 21:45:22 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;262574
Why yes, I was around for that.  However, the past does not influence me when I use present-tense.

I don't see much to complain about in 2v2 that I don't complain about in 1v1.  Yes, it plays differently, T1 units win the game... that doesn't make it broken.

It could be I just see it all from a very different angle. I was talking to a gold level Protoss friend of mine, and he was complaining about Tanks in PvT. I was a bit surprised honestly, because I can't recall the last time I saw tanks in that match up - it is all bio play with Thors tossed in sometimes.

My complaint with team games is the depth of play is limited by the fact that as more people are on a team, the more effective all-ins become. Or insane rushes, like getting DTs out insanely fast while everyone else does T1 pressure.

Or Fungal Storm. Oh my it is soooo good.
Flickr

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 21:47:41 »
It's a lot more to keep up with for sure.  I don't feel like I'm getting better when I play it, compared to 1v1.

Back in Diamond 2v2 now, rank ~150 NA.  About time, but then again, I'm sure it will be gone soon.  I belong toward the lower Diamond, but Bnet keeps bouncing me back and forth between high Diamond and high Platinum (top 200NA for each).

Offline Crypt

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 21:52:38 »
According to my understanding of TL ladder system speculation, the system will match you against people of your own skill...so if you get matched up against and go 50/50 against low diamond players, your rating should eventually equalize at that level.  In reality, that probably won't happen because it requires you to play so many games.  O_O

I play 2v2 to have fun with my friends.  I find that it's good practice for mechanics, though...so "all is not wasted" in terms of improving.  I also like to solo queue 3v3 and just send reapers to every base at once.  It's fun multitasking!

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 21:57:20 »
That's the idea, but we usually beat all platinums, which throws us into high diamond.  lose to all high diamonds, so put back in platinum.

maybe im wrong, but this is the 3rd time we got promoted to diamond, and started in top 200NA.

Offline Crypt

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 22:09:36 »
When you get promoted to diamond, it should match you against low diamonds if it was matching you against platinums before (according to the theory.)  I could see how it could be problematic if it wasn't.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 22:10:46 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;262643
That's the idea, but we usually beat all platinums, which throws us into high diamond.  lose to all high diamonds, so put back in platinum.

maybe im wrong, but this is the 3rd time we got promoted to diamond, and started in top 200NA.

The issue is you are looking at their points, rather than thinking about their MMR. I play 2000 point players when I ladder at the moment because my MMR is so much higher than my points (1050)

Conversely, I had a friend that lost his placements intentionally, and was put into Bronze. It didn't take long for the system to be matching him against relatively high diamond players while still in Silver and Gold. And he would crush most of the them.

That and the win % in 2v2 for the higher rated teams are kind of high. Like, unrealistically high.
Flickr

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 22:28:34 »
Quote from: Crypt;262658
When you get promoted to diamond, it should match you against low diamonds if it was matching you against platinums before (according to the theory.)  I could see how it could be problematic if it wasn't.
It doesn't though.  I rack up points in high Plat, so stat in high Diamond right after.  Lose more than I win, get bumped back down to Plat.  Start over.

I know how the MMR stuff works, I'm saying the way the think "wow, 12 wins in a row, he needs to be in high diamond!" thing isnt working.
i know how the system is supposed to work.  my 2v2 experience is the exception.

1v1 feels pretty much right on.

Offline Fishraper

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 06:09:47 »
Blizzard doesn't balance the game with teams in mind, especially 3s and 4s. 2s somewhat if any, Blizzard said they were bringing 2v2 balances, but I don't think I've seen em (excluding Repears, which was for TvZ). SC2 has been bringing in bad rep from "WoW minded" players by saying this and that is "overpowered" or this and that need to be "nerfed".

Truth is, SC1 barely ever had balance patches and players just accepted the game for what it is and it went extremely far and is still kicking.

Also SC2 is very well balanced, the win ratio data of each matchup on every map has proven that. To add on that, SC2 is balanced to how well it can be played, i.e. GSL caliber type.

Catch the GSL finals at http://www.gomtv.net/ this Saturday Morning, 4:00am CST.

~$$87,000 on the line!!

I stream on TeamLiquid.net sometimes with my buddy for team games, and I'll also do my 1v1s if you guys are interested in checking it out if you happen to catch it online :P

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=Ponderous
http://www.own3d.tv/live/6817

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 16 December 2010, 17:56:33 »
Hey guys,

Add me at jdreamer.978! :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
starcraft 2
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 15:34:43 »
dareUHL #682

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 15:35:48 »
Will anyone be on tonight. I just finished my last final and I might give this game a try again. I have voice coms.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 16:05:03 »
I'll likely be on most of the day, as per usual. Though staying up for GSL finals mainly and might disappear to see Tron and such.

I've also updated the first post with more User IDs. Anything else you guys think I should start including in there?
Flickr

Offline h0tang

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 17:54:23 »
Hey Guys,

I've been lurker on here for a while, but saw this SC2 thread and would love to play with GH guys. I'm pretty noob still, so maybe we can play with AI first haha. Heres my profile http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/2222153/1/hoTang/ I think my plat 3v3 is luck, my two friends pretty much carried me, but I did get silver 3v3 random haha.

Hope to see you guys on battle net.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 December 2010, 18:00:39 by h0tang »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 21:01:58 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;264832
Will anyone be on tonight. I just finished my last final and I might give this game a try again. I have voice coms.

I'm on tonight/now, but I can't find your contact info.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 21:32:32 »
Wang 700

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 22:32:57 »
gg lol

Offline BlueRain

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 05:53:35 »
Blue 517

Just finished watching GSL finals. Not as epic as the previous seasons... or maybe I'm just biased as Zerg.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 06:01:47 »
I only caught the last game of the finals (yay drinking) but it is nice to see a Protoss finally at this level (bias being Protoss)

As for you Zerg players, I'm surrounded by too many :P
Flickr

Offline vld

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 07:40:29 »
You can watch all the games on justin.tv
http://www.justin.tv/tpfour/b/275901816 +part 2 full with english commentary
**** happens

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 18:47:03 »
Will watch a bit.

Played some Random 2v2's. Placed me in Bronze despite my score dominating over everyone else in each game. Kind of goes to show how random team games really.

Probably will be on laddering today (hopefully lol)

And also, if you want me to link your profile to SC2gears or B.net, let me know in the thread and I'll update if you post the link to the profile (can't always find with ID#)
Flickr

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:29:32 »
add your starcraft 2 profile to your signature.
like my signature!
http://sc2sig.com/
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:31:50 by fssbzz »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 23:28:06 »
Quote from: fssbzz;266356
like my signature!

Not until I'm Diamond 1v1...

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 08:02:58 »
Quote from: fssbzz;266356
like my signature!

OCN in your user name, oh my :p

I'll think about adding it but I am pretty stubborn about images in sigs. Moogle's sig reminds me far to much of my old anime forum days back in like '03

In other news, I finally beat my PvZ practice partner in a fairly straight up game. Still a 30 minute 4/5 base game on Steppes, but was a lot of fun and very close. Now I just need a strong PvP partner to play a few games with :p

Oh, and one wanting to get into Diamond, just make Probes and Pylons and keep your money low. And expand. Honeslty, if I don't have my 3rd started before 13 minutes, I double expand. But basically, never stop making workers. If it feels like your money is getting too high, just make more production and/or expand, depending on the situation.
Flickr

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 09:16:06 »
Everyone says that... do basic macro properly and you will get to Diamond easily.  I don't know if things have changed since those people got Diamond (supposedly it's gotten harder) or if there is exaggeration.

Totally willing to play a game with someone on this concern.  I'm doing the worker/supply thing fine, I really don't think it's all you need to get to Diamond.  Everyone in Gold and up is doing proper macro techniques, from what I see.

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 16:21:29 »
i set myself play SCII 3 ~4 games a day,
not really into SCII.
just play the game for fun.
and i never even play Starcraft 1 before.
is my friends who force me to buy SCII to play with them lol.
and NOW, catalysm is out, they just left me alone here playing SCII, they are all on WoW.
i don't really know how i get into Gold too.
I know i'm from bronze climb slowly all the way up to gold.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 17:24:18 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;266682
Everyone says that... do basic macro properly and you will get to Diamond easily.  I don't know if things have changed since those people got Diamond (supposedly it's gotten harder) or if there is exaggeration.

Totally willing to play a game with someone on this concern.  I'm doing the worker/supply thing fine, I really don't think it's all you need to get to Diamond.  Everyone in Gold and up is doing proper macro techniques, from what I see.

They aren't. I play against Gold players that are friends, etc, and while they aren't terrible about keeping their money low, they just don't expand smoothly or make enough workers and often get supply blocked.

Most players in mid-diamond have terrible macro, honestly.

It is way more than keeping your money low.
Flickr

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 23:31:35 »
Hey, so Battle.net keeps going down.  If I don't get back on, it's not because I didn't enjoy the conversation, but that I simply gave up.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 23:56:43 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;267075
Hey, so Battle.net keeps going down.  If I don't get back on, it's not because I didn't enjoy the conversation, but that I simply gave up.

I can understand that.

As for the replay stuff, I wasn't watching your previous games, I was just looking through the info on the score screen. The economy tab tells how many workers were created over the course of a game. I was just going off that.
Flickr

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 19:08:19 »
Well, I posted second here but back then I wasn't even ranked. So here's my profile (EU, NewbieOne, 967):

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1744281/1/NewbieOne/

I'm ranked low silver in solo and it seems to be kinda reliable despite some weirdness about the placement matches (I lost one placement match by unnecessarily building up some defences before banshee-pushing a Protoss player that managed to survive and outcheese me with DT). In the beginning, I won most bronze matchups and lost all silver matchups but now I end up beating the highest ranked silver doods but not getting any gold matchups. I guess this is because I still need much practice of the basics.

I got gold in the 3v3 placement and I kinda consistently stay near the middle (this is probably because team is a bit more forgiving, you don't need to have everything covered and everything does not depend on you all the time). I'd probably move up somewhat if I played team league but right now I'm replaying the campaign missions on hard and focusing on solo if I do play league. I'm a bit torn, however, as to which league I should play.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 23:41:54 »
So, I just beat Elbowglue's noob ass in 2v2...

EDIT rude, false statement gets no attention?
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2011, 23:34:00 by AndrewZorn »

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 14:43:35 »
Quote from: NewbieOneKenobi;270467
Well, I posted second here but back then I wasn't even ranked. So here's my profile (EU, NewbieOne, 967):

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1744281/1/NewbieOne/

I'm ranked low silver in solo and it seems to be kinda reliable despite some weirdness about the placement matches (I lost one placement match by unnecessarily building up some defences before banshee-pushing a Protoss player that managed to survive and outcheese me with DT). In the beginning, I won most bronze matchups and lost all silver matchups but now I end up beating the highest ranked silver doods but not getting any gold matchups. I guess this is because I still need much practice of the basics.

I got gold in the 3v3 placement and I kinda consistently stay near the middle (this is probably because team is a bit more forgiving, you don't need to have everything covered and everything does not depend on you all the time). I'd probably move up somewhat if I played team league but right now I'm replaying the campaign missions on hard and focusing on solo if I do play league. I'm a bit torn, however, as to which league I should play.

Apparently the system takes multiple things into account when considering whom you are going to play in terms of skill. It is rumored that macro stats and your micro/personal physical computer characteristics(APM) are also taken into consideration because they improve your ability to act upon things when making decisions.

The only way to get better is to continue playing and or practicing with people whom are better than you.

We gotta get a GeekHack channel going so we can play with each other considering channels are now available with the new patch.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 15:09:05 »
Quote from: dareuhl;276920
Apparently the system takes multiple things into account when considering whom you are going to play in terms of skill. It is rumored that macro stats and your micro/personal physical computer characteristics(APM) are also taken into consideration because they improve your ability to act upon things when making decisions.

The only way to get better is to continue playing and or practicing with people whom are better than you.

We gotta get a GeekHack channel going so we can play with each other considering channels are now available with the new patch.

Where did you hear that? There was a big ladder analysis done on Team Liquid where they determined it was a hidden MMR rating for everyone that determined rankings and favored vs unfavored. The analysis was then submitted to Blizzard, who then said "close, but not quite".

A general idea of how you get ranked is that Bnet matches you against people who's MMR ratings are similar to you, then puts you against people with higher MMR ratings if you show a winning ratio. If you lose against the player with the higher MMR rating, they keep you at your level.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 23:32:52 »
Quote from: JinDesu;276939
Where did you hear that? There was a big ladder analysis done on Team Liquid where they determined it was a hidden MMR rating for everyone that determined rankings and favored vs unfavored. The analysis was then submitted to Blizzard, who then said "close, but not quite".

A general idea of how you get ranked is that Bnet matches you against people who's MMR ratings are similar to you, then puts you against people with higher MMR ratings if you show a winning ratio. If you lose against the player with the higher MMR rating, they keep you at your level.
This is correct, APM etc is not taken into consideration.  Pretty sure I saw Blizzard confirmed that the end result is all that matters.

Now that there are chat channels, yeah, I'll have mine to auto-sign-in to GeekHack... hopefully I'll see some people ever.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 15:30:23 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;277222
This is correct, APM etc is not taken into consideration.  Pretty sure I saw Blizzard confirmed that the end result is all that matters.

SC 2 uses a modified Elo ranking system to determine position.