Author Topic: [IC] PLA75 R2 - Gasket Mounted 75% - GB is LIVE!  (Read 55766 times)

Offline pott

Re: [IC] PLA75 R2 - Gasket Mounted 75%
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 20:23:32 »
Awesome stuff, thank you!

I think I may have missed this; does this COME with the KBD75 PCB, or does it need to be procured separately?
And does the fixed plate support split backspace? It IS in the layout shown above, I just want to make sure that wasn't a reference to the issue with the fixed plate design based on incorrect documentation.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 06:37:39 »
Awesome stuff, thank you!

I think I may have missed this; does this COME with the KBD75 PCB, or does it need to be procured separately?
And does the fixed plate support split backspace? It IS in the layout shown above, I just want to make sure that wasn't a reference to the issue with the fixed plate design based on incorrect documentation.

KBD75 comes with the kit, and yes, the plate supports split backspace. The fixed plate from the old thread only had an issue with split spacebar.

Offline pott

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 17:50:24 »
Awesome!

I had PMed you about a spare from the original, but that new run seems even better.

About the chambered back: I have that on my Sirius, and it causes the board to occasionally tip back. It's not s HUGE deal or anything, but I personally prefer a more squared design there. More friction = less moving about, and the lack of beveling here means the board won't tip.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 20:35:44 »
Awesome!

I had PMed you about a spare from the original, but that new run seems even better.

About the chambered back: I have that on my Sirius, and it causes the board to occasionally tip back. It's not s HUGE deal or anything, but I personally prefer a more squared design there. More friction = less moving about, and the lack of beveling here means the board won't tip.

No, it doesnt do that. The base is still touching the ground along the axis of the switch press, so you wouldn't have any leverage to tip the board by hitting the back. Either you are straight up smashing those keys, or the sirius designer didn't take that into account and was too aggressive with the angle.

There should be an option for the classic version though, so worry not either way.

Offline diddykang

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 16:12:02 »
any updates?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 23:33:49 »
any updates?

Prototypes got ****ed up in the mail. Never had an issue with Canada Post before, but of course it happens with this one. Protocases be printing new ones and getting them to me ASAP. So sorry for the delay, but there is not much I can do about that.

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 23:38:20 »
Good luck, eagerly waiting for this gb to happen.

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:20:52 »
I know the protos got 86ed in the mail but any word on this part
"The option for a weight. Target is 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) which would make the whole board around 3.5 lb (1.6 kg) kg, and 4.6 lb (2.1 kg) built."

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:26:05 »
I know the protos got 86ed in the mail but any word on this part
"The option for a weight. Target is 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) which would make the whole board around 3.5 lb (1.6 kg) kg, and 4.6 lb (2.1 kg) built."

Not for this run. I wanna keep it simple as COVID is making things hard to get and really expensive. Once things calm down a bit I will look at implementing a weight, but I don't plan to for this run.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 12:38:59 »
Second round of protos is almost done. Will ensure stuff is packed a little better and we should be in business!

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 15:09:32 »
Second round of protos is almost done. Will ensure stuff is packed a little better and we should be in business!

Packaging well is always a good idea. Cannot wait for the gb to open

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:42:39 »
It's nice to see my sticker bomb build in the album!

I've been putting off making a guide for it but there's really not much to it. Here is my second sticker bomb build with a different top.
I HIGHLY suggest choosing the boxy top with all 90 degree corners. Otherwise, it'll be much more difficult to cleanly cover the edges and corners.

First part of the housing you want to cover are the corners.

Also, maybe choose something fitting for the USB cutout and use a box cutter or stationary knife to cut around the port.

After tackling the corners and USB port, cover the rest of the housing. The stickers will need to be partially layered to get full coverage (unless all the stickers are rectangular). I would try to avoid having more than 2 layers.

Cut out the excess parts of the stickers at the edge of the housing. Be sure use an appropriate surface for cutting like a cutting mat.

And voila, you should hopefully have an awesome sticker bombed keyboard!

For longevity, you can get apply some clear coat spray from your local craft store. I have considered it but I think I will go for a naturally worn look.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 May 2020, 01:34:35 by Seoulcialite »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:20:18 »
It's nice to see my stickerbomb build in the album!

I've been putting off making a guide for it but there's really not much to it. Here is my second sticker bomb build with a different top.
I HIGHLY suggest choosing the boxy top with all 90 degree corners. Otherwise, it'll be much more difficult cleanly covering the entirety of the top with stickers.

First part of the housing you want to cover are the corners.

Show Image

Show Image

Also, maybe choose something fitting for the USB cutout and use a box cutter or stationary knife to cut around the port.

Show Image

After tackling the corners and USB port, cover the rest of the housing. The stickers will need to be partially layered to get full coverage (unless all the stickers are rectangular. I would try to avoid having more than 2 layers in one spot.

Show Image

Cut out the excess parts of the stickers at the edge of the housing. Be sure use an appropriate surface for cutting like a cutting mat.

Show Image

And voila, you should hopefully have an awesome sticker bombed keyboard!

Show Image

For longevity, you can get apply some clear coat spray from your local craft store. I have considered this but I think I will go for a naturally worn look.

Amazing, thank you for this! I may even stickerbomb my own now.

Also, continuous apologies for the delay in prototypes and GB, Montreal is getting rekt by covid right now and Mr. Protocases is having issues getting a few of the materials in.

Offline kawhi

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 16:04:51 »
seoulcialite - the sticker bomb looks way too good. this may be a silly question but where do you get all these stickers from? i'd love to do this but i don't have any stickers

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 01:36:16 »
seoulcialite - the sticker bomb looks way too good. this may be a silly question but where do you get all these stickers from? i'd love to do this but i don't have any stickers

Not sure where locally. Maybe at a craft or stationary store. I got mine from Amazon. Just search "category" + sticker pack. So I just searched for "star wars sticker pack" and a bunch of listings popped up.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 15:56:23 »
Is there any news on the status of the group buy? Tracking this one closely...

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 17:58:06 »
Is there any news on the status of the group buy? Tracking this one closely...

Montreal Canada Post is still having a hard time with their COVID situation, so we are getting a little more filament from a private courier to facilitate the second round of prototypes to make sure the changes are good.

I appreciate everyone's patience here, I want to get this train rolling as bad as you do.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 18:03:19 »
Still just waiting for Montreal to reopen. Some businesses started this week, so hopefully we get some movement soon. Sorry all.

Offline dyka.tran

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 21:17:01 »
Are the layout of pcb and plate the same as Winkeyless' B.mini? I have a spare acrylic case and plate of B.mini but cannot buy a new pcb because winkeyless went out of business.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 15:34:07 »
Are the layout of pcb and plate the same as Winkeyless' B.mini? I have a spare acrylic case and plate of B.mini but cannot buy a new pcb because winkeyless went out of business.

b.mini needs the b.mini PCB, kbd75 will not work. I tried myself.

I think if you have a friend in Korea you can still order from winkeyless.

Offline A3DRA

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 00:37:33 »
do you happen to have a discord channel?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 12:02:50 »
do you happen to have a discord channel?

I don't. Feel free to ask questions in the thread or DM me though.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 12:05:47 »
Also, a small update. Things seems to be slowly moving in Montreal again, so the second round of prototypes can be sent to me. In the meantime, we were experimenting with printing these in resin, which allows for glass-like finish and higher dimensional accuracy. We are testing these at the moment, but if they are as solid as the FDM printed ones, I will surely offer them, as they will look amazing with RGB underglow.

Offline geekit

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 20:35:59 »
I'm not an expert, but resin is kinda brittle right?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 09:50:54 »
I'm not an expert, but resin is kinda brittle right?

There is stuff that is slightly more elastic that I would use, some brands call it "tough" resin or whatever. And if it ends up being too brittle, I just won't offer it. Still waiting for samples to come in :confused: it's just been really slow.

Offline ExpensiveDinner

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 05:51:03 »
Hello. Just a question, will the pcb be used for the board be the v2 version of the kbd75? The board is looking good :)

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 07:13:42 »
Looks nice!

Do you think that the PLA75 would be a good basis for a Silent Alpaca board as seen in this video:

That is a regular KBD75, but it turned out pretty good. How do you think the PLA75 would compare in sound and feel?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 09:22:54 »
Hello. Just a question, will the pcb be used for the board be the v2 version of the kbd75? The board is looking good :)

Yes, the kbd75v2 will be used. No need for a custom PCB.

Looks nice!

Do you think that the PLA75 would be a good basis for a Silent Alpaca board as seen in this video:

That is a regular KBD75, but it turned out pretty good. How do you think the PLA75 would compare in sound and feel?

I think the PLA75 would play very nice with silent linears. Silent alpacas on an fr4 plate would sound nice and stealthy, and if you aren't looking for underglow, stick a nice piece of foam in the bottom to damp out any reverb.

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 17:18:02 »
Okay, that's what I'm looking for.

Are there any renders of the gray/black and maybe green colour cases you can post so people who have the recent 9009 and Honeywell sets can get an idea of the board's appearance?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 14:05:21 »
Okay, that's what I'm looking for.

Are there any renders of the gray/black and maybe green colour cases you can post so people who have the recent 9009 and Honeywell sets can get an idea of the board's appearance?

Renders don't really represent the finish well, but place take a look in the R1 thread to see some images https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102633.0

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 16:50:12 »
Thanks! The black CF looks alright to me. I've always wanted a black KBD75.

Although this gray one is pretty nice:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102633.msg2855606#msg2855606

Do you know which colour listing this is?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 09:39:42 »
Thanks! The black CF looks alright to me. I've always wanted a black KBD75.

Although this gray one is pretty nice:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102633.msg2855606#msg2855606

Do you know which colour listing this is?

That's the black CF. It comes out a little greyish.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 19:51:00 »
How's the progress coming on the resin printing?  I'm frothing on the possibility of having amazing underglow on my KBD75.

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 20:03:54 »
I know this wasn't an option in R1, would you consider an option for buyers to purchase the kit, minus the pcb?  for those who might already have multiple kbd75 pcb's like myself.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 13:17:06 »
How's the progress coming on the resin printing?  I'm frothing on the possibility of having amazing underglow on my KBD75.

We tried a hollow resin and it failed. Fully solid is printing now.

I know this wasn't an option in R1, would you consider an option for buyers to purchase the kit, minus the pcb?  for those who might already have multiple kbd75 pcb's like myself.

Yeah, you'll have to personally email me, and I want to encourage getting a PCB so we can bulk order and give everyone a price break.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 13:21:52 »
Getting a quote for metal PLA75s from the shop I work next to. The delays in the 3D printing are getting absolutely insane, so I will explore new options. If the price is right, we will get rolling with this ASAP.

The shop mainly manufactures high tech oilfield equipment, so I trust the quality and finish will exceed what we can expect from Chinese manufacturers. Will get quotes for steel and aluminium as well.

Last question, should I rebrand the case, or just call it PLA75 metal edition?

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 16:13:31 »
Getting a quote for metal PLA75s from the shop I work next to. The delays in the 3D printing are getting absolutely insane, so I will explore new options. If the price is right, we will get rolling with this ASAP.

The shop mainly manufactures high tech oilfield equipment, so I trust the quality and finish will exceed what we can expect from Chinese manufacturers. Will get quotes for steel and aluminium as well.

PLA 75 HEAVY ****ING METAL, but yea, I'd stick with the PLA75 moniker since it's largely the same board no? Still the same plate layout and whatnot, just a different shell.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 17:48:29 »

PLA 75 HEAVY ****ING METAL, but yea, I'd stick with the PLA75 moniker since it's largely the same board no? Still the same plate layout and whatnot, just a different shell.

Identical shape, just different material. And no more of those somewhat annoying square nuts :D

I spoke with my cerakote guys today, and I think I may consider a steel edition that is cerakoted, and then have anodized aluminum units.

Offline diddykang

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 13:01:48 »
cerakoted 75 could be interesting!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 11:16:12 »
My second round of printed protos are finally done. We are waiting a week to ship them, since western Canada is undergoing a bit of a heatwave right now.

Quotes should be in by the end of the week for the metal options as well. Would there be any interest in a hybrid metal/printed case, i.e. an aluminium base and a printed top or vise versa?

Offline wgsunrise

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 03:37:04 »
Would there be any interest in a hybrid metal/printed case, i.e. an aluminium base and a printed top or vise versa?

I think that hybrid case with printed part for the bottom in translucent/matte would be a perfect match for KDB75 PCB's RGB underglow.

In fact I was gonna call it an endgame and stopped buying more MK related stuff after having participated a couple of 75% keyboard GB earlier this year.
But if the above mentioned combination will be an option in the final GB I would probably not be able to resist to snag one.
AND if E-White / White being one of the color option I would definitely in for one. :)

Offline diddykang

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 09:31:46 »
Hybrid case would be interesting depending on colour

Offline hrco999

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 06:53:19 »
Which are the renders for the metal version?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 11:28:11 »
Which are the renders for the metal version?

I don't have metal renders made, but I should have some real life prototype pictures to show you in a few weeks. Still waiting to hear back from some of the local shops about a prototype, everyone takes vacations in the last week of August around these parts.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 00:35:30 »
Just an update for y'all. Machine shops are taking their sweet time. R2 printed protos are en route, finally.

Considering just buying myself some larger printers and cutting out the middleman. Would like to offer the PLA75 as a made to order in stock 3-day-turnaround type of arrangement rather than trying to coordinate all these separate parties during this madness, so that may be an option in the future as well.

My apologies that this is taking so flipping long to get moving...

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 13:53:47 »
Hi everyone,

I've had a busy week of calibrating and modding (linear rails, direct drive extruder, bed levelling hardware, pei sheets, 32 bit motherboards, cutting edge Marlin versions) one of these big boys, but the first few PLA75 pieces coming off of it are really nice.

Give me a little more time to get this dialed in, and I'll open a small group buy. A larger one to follow after that when I get more printers souped up and ready to produce.

So yeah, ya boi can now produce boards without a 3rd party :D

Online HungerMechanic

Re: [IC] PLA75 R2 - Gasket Mounted 75% - I bought a big printer
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 18:22:37 »
This is great news for the project.

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 01:45:51 »
Very cool news!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this now that you have full control over the manufacturing.

If these are going to be made to order, hope you consider the option of not buying the pcb for those who already have a kbd75 and just wanna swap cases.

Offline kowalski92

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 18:50:53 »
Super excited now that you can print your own boards. I'm keeping an eye out for this and hopefully I can snag one from your small group buy. Do you have more pictures to show? Haha.

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 20:54:42 »
Yeah nice work! I've been waiting and hoping you would get this up and running. I have a mill-maxed KBD75 ready to go as soon as you're ready to take orders.