Author Topic: Opening ML Switches?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Opening ML Switches?
« on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 23:42:00 »
I've gathered that it's possible to open Cherry ML switches without desoldering, which I've done, but the hoops on the switch tops (one on each side and two in the front) easily get bent or torn and seem otherwise ruined. The switch top remains slightly open after trying to close it back down onto the switch bottom, which causes the switch to feel really stiff at the highest point before feeling normal again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to open ML switches without destroying the switch tops?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: Opening ML Switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 23:49:01 »
You are just using too much force to open them. Get some tweezers or something very thin to squeeze in between the housing and the tabs. It's a pain in the butt, but you gotta do it carefully or that happens :)

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Re: Opening ML Switches?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:32:36 »
Alright, that was exactly what I needed to know to get in the right direction. I was previously prying off the switch top from the back side of the switch with a flathead screwdriver. Turns out I needed to do exactly what you said - get in between the hoops on top housing and the tabs on the bottom housing. An X-Acto knife worked well for this. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:48:01 by cgbuen »