Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 125681 times)

Offline jksteger

Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 15:39:06 »
I ordered a white key 87U board and it should arrive on Friday.  I loved my black 104 board but I work in low light and there was not any contrast on the keys for the odd keys that I don't use that much and it was driving me crazy so I sold that keyboard.  In the meantime I got a HHKB Lite (original, ps/2) that does not have the arrow keys.  Layout is just like a HHKB pro.  And I'm loving the small form factor and now I wonder if I should have purchased the HHKB pro2 instead of the RealForce 87U from elitekeyboards.

Jeremy

Offline Amarok

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 15:43:25 »
I got the 87U 45g board in the mail today and I love it so far. It's a really nice typing experience, and I also like the sound it makes when I type. Might be selling my Phantom for a HHK if I continue to enjoy typing on it this much. Also, it's built like it was meant for use in a war zone.  :eek:
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 17:45:42 »
You will only love Topre more and more as you type on it.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:59:18 »

ENJOY YOUR ONENESS WITH CUP RUBBER

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 21:09:09 »
Sup bros. Love Topre on HHKB and keychain. Love HHKB form factor and portability.

Offline iri

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 23:14:16 »
Also, it's built like it was meant for use in a war zone.  :eek:
seriously? have you ever seen an ibm model m?

not necessarily. it seems i like mine less and less. maybe once i end up selling the board. just like jdcarpe. or some other forum members.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 04:33:29 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 23:48:53 »
Also, it's built like it was meant for use in a war zone.  :o
seriously? have you ever seen an ibm model m?

not necessarily. it seems i like mine less and less. maybe once i end up selling the board. just like jdcarpe. of some other forum members.

I think you need to create a new thread, and name it "We hate topre"...

Offline iri

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 00:15:41 »
which is not necessary as i don't hate topre.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:46:29 »
I'm new to GEEKHACK but not keyboards I've been using computers since Apple ][ and many  others from 80's to the present. Old computers came with pretty nice boards that outlasted the computers. Modern computers come with very cheap ones, thats why I got back to good mechanicals. I have four Cherry MX boards, I like reds for typeing and black for gaming. I had always liked the HHKB but was put off buy the price and layout and almost being rubber domes. I heard mostly good things about Topre switches and I bought a HHKB Pro 2. It took a little while to get used to the layout but after month of use I love this keyboard. Its a real pleasure to type on and I still like and use my Cherry boards but this HHKB is my favorite.

Offline mechanisch

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:36:09 »
I always keep an eye out for a good deal on a used HHKB.  I'd love to try out a topre board someday, but those things sure do go fast and usually beyond my budget :)

Offline orlando

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:55:26 »
My HHKB pro 2 has arrived and I can officially state ... I am a topre fan! I really enjoy typing on this keyboard and the layout is just fantastic.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 23:58:04 »
Personally, I think the HHKB is particularly well suited for the Mac, but that's probably just because Mac OS has Unix underpinnings.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 00:00:07 »
Personally, I think the HHKB is particularly well suited for the Mac, but that's probably just because Mac OS has Unix underpinnings.

^ this.

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 00:48:54 »

Agreed.  :)

And that's why I will get one ASAP. I'm in love with my Realforce but it will move to the PC, the filco will get... another owner maybe, dunno yet. ;)

But I think I will get the ISO Jap Blank version (in black). Love my ph4T ASS enter key. :p Anyone using this around ? I really hit my space bar in the middle all the time so I should be OK but some tips / ideas about how to use of the jap. keys would be nice. ;)
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 01:07:29 »
Damn you guys, all this talk about Topre is making me want to buy one!
MUST.... RESIST!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 01:17:00 »
Damn you guys, all this talk about Topre is making me want to buy one!
MUST.... RESIST!

Offline jksteger

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:14:17 »
I just got my RealForce 87u in and I'm already thinking of selling it.  I keep looking at my HHKB Lite (first version w/o the arrow keys) and I'm still drawn to it.  There is no comparison between the switches, Topre vs generic rubber dome.  However, I keep wanting to type on the HHKB instead because of the layout.  Maybe I got too used to it in the time it took for me to actually get a RealForce 87u.

Time will tell but I'm thinking of selling it and ordering a HHKB pro2.

Jeremy

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:32:39 »
I had the Realforce and i didn't like it anywhere near as much as i love my HHKB2.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:47:35 »
Time will tell but I'm thinking of selling it and ordering a HHKB pro2.

Offline jksteger

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 13:09:13 »
Thanks daerid,
I think i will just "DO IT"!

Just sucks to think I will probably not get anywhere near what I paid for it at EliteKeyboards.  But why keep something if what I really want is the HHKB!

Jeremy

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 13:10:37 »
I see boards go all the time for about a 30-50 dollar mark-down.

Not a terrible sacrifice, for keyboard experimentation!
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline jksteger

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 09:21:10 »
Thanks for that new Flip  I'm new here and I could not seem to list in the classifieds so I had to resort to the you know who auction site!  I would love for a geekhacker to receive this keyboard.  Maybe I can figure out how to sell in the classifieds here as I have many keyboards that I have purchased to "try out" for a while and then they end up off my desk.  I would love to let other geekhackers get them at a deal.  When i buy the HHKB I'm going to try and buy here first!

Love this place!

Jeremy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 09:24:33 »
Thanks for that new Flip  I'm new here and I could not seem to list in the classifieds so I had to resort to the you know who auction site!  I would love for a geekhacker to receive this keyboard.  Maybe I can figure out how to sell in the classifieds here as I have many keyboards that I have purchased to "try out" for a while and then they end up off my desk.  I would love to let other geekhackers get them at a deal.  When i buy the HHKB I'm going to try and buy here first!

Love this place!

Jeremy

Just post in threads you are interested in. If you make only 5 posts per day, in just 12 days you will have 60, enough to post a new thread in the classifieds.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jksteger

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 11:46:58 »
Just post in threads you are interested in. If you make only 5 posts per day, in just 12 days you will have 60, enough to post a new thread in the classifieds.

Thanks!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 12:20:21 »

Offline jksteger

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 12:49:31 »
If anyone wants a variable board, this was just reposted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realforce-Topre-87U-Tenkeyless-White-/181096148747?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2a2a2bef0b

That's mine that I am selling.  I didn't know if i could post links to my auctions or not in here!

Jeremy

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 12:52:15 »
You know ebay takes 9% of the sale and then paypal takes a percentage so you probably are better off listing it on this site under classifieds. Keep more of your money!  :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 12:56:29 »
You know ebay takes 9% of the sale and then paypal takes a percentage so you probably are better off listing it on this site under classifieds. Keep more of your money!  :D

He doesn't have enough posts to create a new thread in the Classifieds. Maybe someone reading this thread will want it, and send him a PM. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 13:22:55 »
This topic needs more pics

Okay, here you go:

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline noons

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 13:38:17 »

Love this place!

Jeremy

So much work... ;)
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline jksteger

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 14:11:32 »
The issue I sometimes have is,  unless I have something useful to say in a thread then I don't really post but I will make an exception  :D

J.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:16:36 »
Happy Hacking Keyboard came into today :D.

First question, how do I control-alt-delete with the delete key functioning as a backspace...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:33:56 »

First question, how do I control-alt-delete with the delete key functioning as a backspace...
fn - backtick (upper right key) is del
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Mainian

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:42:10 »

fn - backtick (upper right key) is del

Beautiful, thank you.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 16:51:27 »
I'm excited, my rf comes tomorrow!

Offline noons

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:30:21 »

How do you like it? I said to myself I would never spend that much on a keyboard a few years ago.. Now I got the urge..
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline DavinDidIt

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:39:21 »
Personally, I'm loving mine!  There is no Cherry switch like it, and I've tried em all :P

I want to get another HHKB for work, so I can get used to the layout.  Now to find a red esc and lavender WASD cluster :)
KMAC 2, HHKB

Offline Mainian

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 14:00:12 »

How do you like it? I said to myself I would never spend that much on a keyboard a few years ago.. Now I got the urge..

To be honest, I don't find it as satisfying to type on like I thought I would. I had been using a poker. I tried to switch the control to the caps lock just to get the feel for how the HHKB is, and I couldn't get used it. I did make the switch easily.

I do love parts of the layout. I tried playing WOW with the board yesterday, and I found myself having a hard time distinguishing between shift and control key bindings. But with concentration, it wasn't too bad.

I'll be honest, I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be off the bat with the switches. That don't feel as comfortable as I thought they would. (My poker has blacks, and I'd been using that for about a week since I fixed it, so the force doesn't bother me). I'll give it some time, I think I would use it as my main board even after I give it the week or two to break into the layout / keys. Although, I don't find the topre switches as loveable as other people do.

I guess I really do prefer linear switches more.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 14:09:18 »
I didn't like my Realforce at first when I got it either. I felt a bit ripped off, but after using it for a few weeks, it became my daily driver at home. I enjoy typing on it and you can tell that Topre switches feel a lot sturdier than MX, not to say I don't love all of my MX switches.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 14:12:35 »
I didn't like my Realforce at first when I got it either. I felt a bit ripped off, but after using it for a few weeks, it became my daily driver at home. I enjoy typing on it and you can tell that Topre switches feel a lot sturdier than MX, not to say I don't love all of my MX switches.

They do feel sturdier. I just think I like the feel of linear better.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 14:47:12 »
I rock WoW on my HHKB all the time. Love it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:03:56 »

Did that yesterday and maybe again today! I don't use any weird key bindings, so HHKB is perfect.

Offline chel-

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:19:01 »

Did that yesterday and maybe again today! I don't use any weird key bindings, so HHKB is perfect.

When I previously owned a HHKB I played wow a lot using it. IMO the only possible issues were with the F keys. Usually you don't need all that many key bindings anyways unless you are doing arena.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:36:42 by chel- »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:26:43 »
I got my 55g today, will use it a little later as I also got a custom poker, too.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:28:08 »
I got my 55g today, will use it a little later as I also got a custom poker, too.

Offline orlando

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:32:46 »
I use mine for WoW as well without any issues. I do however use a naga for all my abilities, 1-12 and shift+1-12 will usually cover most classes. Have some stuff bound to my hhkb but not much.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:53:25 »
I use mine for WoW as well without any issues. I do however use a naga for all my abilities, 1-12 and shift+1-12 will usually cover most classes. Have some stuff bound to my hhkb but not much.

Naga is horribly painful to hit the back row for me. Even then, I still wouldn't use it. I use strafe on my mouse for the most part.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 15:59:34 »

Going straight from my modded blue poker (with plate) to this, I have to definitely say...I've typed on worse.  The sound is as nifty as my roommate's variable (if not a little less loud than his, but he types harder than I do), and the feel is alright.  I think I'll like this a lot more than the 45g I tried a few months ago, but we'll see how it goes in the long term.

Offline Amarok

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:02:24 »
I have a question about the dip switches on the back of the keyboard. I am trying to use the first switch to swap ctrl and caps lock, but flipping the switch doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing some very obvious problem that's making this not work?
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline noons

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 10:12:56 »
Well I broke down and already have huge buyers remorse. Ended up buying a HKKB pro2 lastnight... Will see how I like it, I just cant get over how much I just spent.. I told myself if I do love it I would sell my leopold and I already had plans to sell my filco to help relieve some of the cost.