Author Topic: What keyboard are you using right now?  (Read 63900 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
What keyboard are you using right now?
« on: Fri, 25 April 2008, 01:12:35 »
I think it might be interesting if members talk about how often they switch keyboards and maybe even why.

I just boxed up the Macalley and took out the Filco. It always takes me a minute to get used to my Japanese light touch keyboards after using the Alps or the Model M even though I still take the HHKB to work and back everyday.

My reason for such frequent switching is my profession. As a writer who handwrites nothing, my keyboards are like different paintbrushes to an artist. With the loud clicky keyboards, I write more gritty for whatever reason, and with the Cherry browns and the Topre capacitives I write really fast and more honest.

Offline jemkeys

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 April 2008, 07:26:59 »
I'm using the HHK.  I only have that, and the model M.  This looks much nicer on my desk ;).

Plus it still holds that new keyboard novel sway over me.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2008, 07:38:45 »
I am using the Cherry G84-4100PTMUS with MLs in it right now on the thinkpad T60.  I like it but I can't wait to jones on a buckling spring Mighty Mouse, sans red pointy what the heck is that stick in the middle of it what sense does that make you all are crazy I will never cave bwahahaha.

I, just a few days ago decommissioned the Matias Tactile Pro 2 in favor of a blue-cherried smk-88.  Matias is very tactile but isn't a good keyboard, IMHO.  SMK-88 is a great keyboard, but needs a different layout for me.  Still searching Mrs. Right Keyboard and I don't think Mrs. Pants from yesterday is going to cut it.  =-D

AND...on the old PC that I make the kids use, mostly for the desktop space, swapped out a VERY reliable (but still membrane based) IBM non-M for a PS/2 Cherry G84 keyboard.  They thought it was SO cool.  Now I have room for a mousepad on that desk.  =-D  Because while my kids think the Cherry keyboard is very cool, they do NOT have enough common sense to realize just HOW wicked a Trackman marble is.

I think all data center keyboards that have to slide into a 19" rack space should be something like this cherry or a mighty mouse.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2008, 08:19:33 »
i'm using my brown cherries filco at my office and my hhkb pro at home. as a programmer i have to use more standard keyboard layouts at work, because rarely someone has to type something on my keyboard and this just can't happen with hhkb pro (they looked at it and they weren't impressed at all), but i still hate it when one of my colleagues pushes his fingers with all their strength on my poor filco, it's so delicate, it hurts me really bad... i can't think of any other keyboards which will love more, of course if filco makes a smaller layout (without the numeric pad, or something ala HHKB, then without a doubt I'll have to have it right away).

Offline pezza_mac

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 03:48:23 »
...***...
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2011, 21:02:31 by pezza_mac »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 03:57:29 »
Another buckling spring buckaroo, eh?

Unicomp supposedly has new Mighty Mouse coming soon ... but for whatever reason (this statement is only based in my thoughts, not info) I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

The buckling spring does have a really solid feel and decent click, so I respect it but it is far from the top of my list.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 03:58:46 »
Still on the Filco at home and the HHKB Pro 2 at work, BTW.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 08:07:17 »
I am using the unicomp linux board. Its a full sized keyboard, nice and clicky....I really like it alot.

At work I use a dell laptop, (D510)
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 09:12:04 »
Quote from: sashomasho
i'm using my brown cherries filco at my office and my hhkb pro at home. as a programmer i have to use more standard keyboard layouts at work, because rarely someone has to type something on my keyboard

You let someone else touch your keyboard???  Yuck.  :)

Do what I did when I worked in an office.  I had two keyboards plugged into my work machine.  I'd use my HHKB and when someone needed to type something on my machine, I'd direct them to an old Cherry 4100 I had hooked up.  (I had eight of them, so sacrificing one for co-worker use wasn't an issue for me)

Quote from: pezza_mac
I will never need another keyboard ever again, after using this SpaceSaver for a week! I am converted!

I recently purchased two Unicomp SpaceSaver's for a couple of friends of mine.  They are absolutely giddy about their new keyboards.  Personally, I don't like numpads, but both of them are addicted to the numpad, so it is a good fit for them.

Quote from: bigpook
I am using the unicomp linux board. Its a full sized keyboard, nice and clicky....

Which linux layout?  (alt or caps lock in the bottom left corner)

I assume you have the buckling spring version?  I don't recall anyone else on this board having a Unicomp Customizer 101.  Most of the Unicomp owners here have either one of the SpaceSaver models (including the Endurapro) or the Customizer 104/105.

BTW, I'm currently using my HHKB Pro 2.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 09:32:17 »
I have caps lock in the lower left hand corner, ctrl key next to the A key, where it belongs and the escape key next to the 1 key on the top row. Yes is is buckling-spring.
I ordered the board form unicomp 8-31-2007, they shipped me a customizer 104/105 with the fricking windows keys. I emailed them about it but didn't get much customer service out of it. If you look at the unicomp site and look at the linux keyboard  that they are selling you can clearly see that it has no windows keys...

I know I could have returned it, but after using it I fell in love with it. I took a sharpy and blacked out the windows logo and let it go at that.

I just got an ibm model m from ebay and just finished cleaning it up. I should be getting my ibm space saver board soon too, once that is cleaned up I will post some pictures.

There is a HHKB Pro 2 on ebay right now that I am thinking about bidding on, I e-mailed the seller and asked if it had the usb ports, he said no, so I assume its the older model. It looks like nice in the picture though.

Offline iMav

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 17:15:33 »
I ordered the board form unicomp 8-31-2007, they shipped me a customizer 104/105 with the fricking windows keys.
Ah.  So they sent you a remapped Customizer 104/105, eh?  I assumed (as you likely did when you ordered it) that it would be a Customizer 101 based on the key layout pics.  Nasty logo aside, it's nice having the additional meta keys.  Of course, maybe I'm just spoiled from my early exposure to Sun workstations.  :)

There is a HHKB Pro 2 on ebay right now that I am thinking about bidding on, I e-mailed the seller and asked if it had the usb ports, he said no, so I assume its the older model. It looks like nice in the picture though.
I see two original HHKB "Lite"s and one original HHKB on Ebay right now.  Can't seem to find a Pro (v.1 or v.2) anywhere.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 19:19:42 »
Sorry, my mistake.
This is what I saw on e-bay. I assume it has the same key switches as the Pro series....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130216634456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Offline iMav

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 19:57:02 »
Quote from: bigpook;4230
Sorry, my mistake.
This is what I saw on e-bay. I assume it has the same key switches as the Pro series....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130216634456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

The original HHKB (as well as both versions of the "Lite" model) have membrane keyswitches (3.8 mm stroke, soft snap).  Only the Pro versions have the cone spring keys with electrical capacitive switches.

Offline zillidot

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 20:03:25 »
Quote from: iMav;4219
I don't recall anyone else on this board having a Unicomp Customizer 101.  Most of the Unicomp owners here have either one of the SpaceSaver models (including the Endurapro) or the Customizer 104/105.

I have a Customizer 101! It's black. :)

Quote from: bigpook;4230
I assume it has the same key switches as the Pro series....

From memory, the key switches on the original Happy Hacking Keyboard are different from the HHKB Pro/Pro2. But I can't find a reference for it right now. I think the electricial capacitance switches were only introduced with the pro series.
My keyboards:
Realforce 87U (all 55g)
HHKB Pro 2 (black on black)
Filco Majestouch (n-key rollover, brown cherries)
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black with black keys)

Offline jemkeys

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 20:07:24 »
Yea, the original Happy Hacking was a standard rubber membrane.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 20:42:31 »
Been on the Focus 2001...the white alps are addicting.

Offline iMav

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 April 2008, 21:33:49 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;4235
Been on the Focus 2001...the white alps are addicting.

Have you ever posted a picture of your Focus?

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 01:31:00 »
Back to using a MS Natural Elite both at home and at work. At work I also have a HHKB2 and a Realforce 101, but the MS is just more comfortable, and on a typing test, I can type just as fast. Also tried the Kinesis Freestyle, but it was never as comfortable as the MS, though I liked their membrane switches a little more.
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline Warm Woolly Sheep

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 03:19:59 »
This piece of logitech crap I picked up for $15,

The rollover on this keyboard is awful.  It won't let me press a # and a letter on the same hand at the same time.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 03:38:03 »
You get what you pay for.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 14:02:07 »
Just got a cherry G80-3000LCM with black switches, probably for $15 too lol. It doesnt click at all but i find funny that this keyboard is pretty identical to the das keyboard II, i can change the keys at no time, i have both keyboards running at the same time. Will post some images later.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 15:18:22 »
The Focus 2001...seriously the white alps are a must have. I've used the ibm model f for a while, but the Focus is  the daily keyboard. My wpm went up a lot.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 15:31:51 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;4244
Show Image

The Focus 2001...seriously the white alps are a must have. I've used the ibm model f for a while, but the Focus is  the daily keyboard. My wpm went up a lot.

Is there a Focus 2001 with european layout?(The extra key).

I just found a Focus 2001 on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FOCUS-FK-2001-KEYBOARD-W-Alps-Sliders-2001_W0QQitemZ360046213962QQcategoryZ4706QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Is this the one you're talking about?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 16:28:43 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;4245
Is there a Focus 2001 with european layout?(The extra key).

I just found a Focus 2001 on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FOCUS-FK-2001-KEYBOARD-W-Alps-Sliders-2001_W0QQitemZ360046213962QQcategoryZ4706QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBINQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Is this the one you're talking about?

Hey bluemercury. That focus 2001 on ebay is similar to the one I have (pic below):

However, if you look at the ebay listing's photo:
[/URL][/IMG]

, you can see, circled in red, that there are squarish tiles near the arrow keys. This aesthetic difference does not impact the Focus 2001's performance or feel. Moreover, the ebay model comes with Windows keys. My focus and the one on ebay has the same FCC ID, but one has the cube tiles and windows keys, while the other does not.

Here's the catch. For $8.88, the price this ebay seller is listing the keyboard in, you may think that you're getting a pretty sweet deal on what seems to be a genuine white ALPS key-switch keyboard. But check out this page...

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about. The keyboard you linked for me on ebay uses blue ALPS look alike switches. Not genuine at all. The Focus 2001 you want has all white alps switches,  and if you buy a Focus 2001 with windows keys, you end up with fake blue alps.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: BTW, I am not aware of any Focus 2001 keyboards that have European layouts, sorry. The one I have is made in 1989, and I've only gathered information about it from websites made by other Focus 2001 users.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 16:36:43 »
I have a feeling Europe sucks for keyboards a lot worse than the USA.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:24:55 »
Quote from: xsphat;4250
I have a feeling Europe sucks for keyboards a lot worse than the USA.

Well besides the cherry models, and the ocasional model like the DAS KEYBOARD II for example, you're more than right.....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:30:42 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;4248
Hey bluemercury. That focus 2001 on ebay is similar to the one I have (pic below):
Show Image

However, if you look at the ebay listing's photo:
Show Image
[/URL][/IMG]

, you can see, circled in red, that there are squarish tiles near the arrow keys. This aesthetic difference does not impact the Focus 2001's performance or feel. Moreover, the ebay model comes with Windows keys. My focus and the one on ebay has the same FCC ID, but one has the cube tiles and windows keys, while the other does not.

Here's the catch. For $8.88, the price this ebay seller is listing the keyboard in, you may think that you're getting a pretty sweet deal on what seems to be a genuine white ALPS key-switch keyboard. But check out this page...

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about. The keyboard you linked for me on ebay uses blue ALPS look alike switches. Not genuine at all. The Focus 2001 you want has all white alps switches,  and if you buy a Focus 2001 with windows keys, you end up with fake blue alps.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: BTW, I am not aware of any Focus 2001 keyboards that have European layouts, sorry. The one I have is made in 1989, and I've only gathered information about it from websites made by other Focus 2001 users.

Youre right but they show photos with alps switches....:S
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline nrp

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:33:16 »

But they show a picture of the white Alps on the ebay add. Look at the second picture.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:35:01 »
The Focus 2001 you want has all white alps switches,  and if you buy a Focus 2001 with windows keys, you end up with fake blue alps.

there's another catch, though.  not all focus 2001 keyboards without windows keys use genuine alps switches.  i've got two pre-windows keys 2001's that use fake white alps switches that feel distinctly different than genuine white alps switches (the fakes are stiffer and less refined).  these fake alps'd 2001's look absolutely identical to the real alps'd 2001's on the outside.  the only way to know what switches you're getting are to see what they actually are underneath the keycaps (or to type on them, but that assumes physical access).  if the switches don't say 'alps', they're probably fakes.  

i will concur, though, that all of the focus 2001's with windows keys i've owned over the years have all had fake alps click tactile switches.  all whites, incidentally.

also, something else to keep in mind is that the information on those keyboard enthusiast web sites isn't complete.  they might take apart one, maybe two, keyboards of a particular make and model, but keyboard manufacturers sometimes make changes to the internals of a particular model without making it obvious from the outside.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:36:40 »
Quote from: nrp;4254
But they show a picture of the white Alps on the ebay add. Look at the second picture.

no, it only looks like a white alps.  you can't actually read the 'alps' stamped on the switch.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 17:52:00 »
Quote from: alpslover;4257
no, it only looks like a white alps.  you can't actually read the 'alps' stamped on the switch.

humm, i still need to get one with alps whites......
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 18:11:57 »
Quote from: alpslover;4257

Well i cant really see anything.....your eyes are in HD mode....:P
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 21:20:36 »
thanks for clarifying, alpslover.

I was referring more to the fake blue alps switches on the japanese website, though it was my mistake not to scroll down the ebay listing to see the so-called genuine white alps switch.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 April 2008, 21:22:22 »
Quote from: alpslover;4255

also, something else to keep in mind is that the information on those keyboard enthusiast web sites isn't complete.  they might take apart one, maybe two, keyboards of a particular make and model, but keyboard manufacturers sometimes make changes to the internals of a particular model without making it obvious from the outside.

True, I'm surprised at how many different models of Focus 2001 keyboards Focus Electronics manufactured without noting what changes each different batch of keyboards underwent.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 08:10:57 »
So should i risk getting this focus one :P?

Edit: Here's the images of my cherry keyswitch keyboards:

Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 12:52:55 »
Take a risk, but if your cherry blues are satisfactory, you probably wouldn't need alps switches.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 16:58:21 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;4282
Take a risk, but if your cherry blues are satisfactory, you probably wouldn't need alps switches.

I was actually searching a new white alps switche keyboard.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 01:44:05 »
I'm back on the HHKB Pro 2 full time now. No matter what I buy, I keep coming back to this one.

The Filco rocks and I love it, but my keyboard tray is too small to have the keyboard where I like it and still leave enough room for the mouse (I screen span, so I need a bit of space for side to side motion).

Offline bigpook

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 20:34:23 »
Quote from: zillidot;4232
I have a Customizer 101! It's black. :)

From memory, the key switches on the original Happy Hacking Keyboard are different from the HHKB Pro/Pro2. But I can't find a reference for it right now. I think the electricial capacitance switches were only introduced with the pro series.

Are the capacitance switches clicky?
I really like the tactile feel and sound of the buckling spring keyboards.

I have a HHKB lite and really liked it. After going through my mouse phase( the kensington expert mouse is the one true mouse for me, as of right now : )) I focused my attention on clicky keyboards. I have a unicomp board, a model m and model m spacesaver.

Having said that, what other boards fall into the clicky/noisy category?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 20:47:42 »
HHKB Pro2 are not clicky at all.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 21:14:50 »
I have the HHKB lite and even though it is rubber dome it is still a nice keyboard. The form factor is nearly ideal. I am liking the buckling spring boards now, and am now using the full size model m. What I want is something in the small form factor of the HHKB with the buckling spring technology of the model m.
I read that unicomp may release the mighty mouse with buckling springs, if so, then that may be the board for me...heres to hoping.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 21:40:55 »
I like to keep many keyboards with different switches around. For clicky, I have a Model M and the Macalley with white Alps switches, and for other times, I have the HHKB Pro 2 which has a feeling that is similar to but different than the Cherry brown switches. These last two are light touch but the HHKB Pro 2 has more resistance than the browns.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 01:40:00 »

using my filco... the numpad is really starting to get on my nerves. it's invading my mousing real estate :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 03:48:42 »
Quote from: karlito;4349
using my filco... the numpad is really starting to get on my nerves. it's invading my mousing real estate :)

I know the feeling, my friend. I guess iMav was right all along. Think how I feel -- my keyboard tray is smaller than yours.

The browns rock though, don't they?

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 04:50:40 »
i wish the hhkb pro had different keyswitch options... brown or blue cherries, but i want to keep and the current one, i really like the topre switches, just i wish i had different options for a second one eventually :)

Offline iMav

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 06:36:11 »
Quote from: karlito

I think you should buy a mouse bridge and then let us know how you like it...  :)

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 08:57:49 »
Are all filcos with the same cherry switches?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 13:31:54 »
I've seen brown, black and blue switches on the Filcos and what look like white alps, though you might have to ask xsphat.  I'm very new to these things.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 03 May 2008, 14:17:51 »
You are correct sir!

The only other switches I've seen on Filcos are their scissors / membrane hybrid, plain  membrane and white Cherry switches on some old old ones.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 22:22:41 »
It's crunch time on this f#$%^g assignment for a class I don't really like at all so I had to bust out the MacAlly with true white Alps clickiness.