Author Topic: Keyboard for both typing and games?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline thatguyyouknow

Keyboard for both typing and games?
« on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 16:22:06 »
My Saitek Eclipse is finally starting to die on me. It's worked great for games, but the feeling of keys is just as soft and mushy as any no-name $10 keyboard.

I want some thing that feels good to type on, but will also work well for games.  I know there some gaming keyboards that have mechanical cherry switches, but they all seem to use linear blacks, which won't give the satisfying click that I'm looking for.    

I know Model Ms are some of the best keyboards out there for typing, but can I use one to play games? I was hoping someone out there with a 1391401 could test a couple things for me. What's the key rollover, do combinations like W/S + A/D + Ctrl + Space, S + D + 1/2/3/etc. work?  If it makes a difference, I have the option to connect it through native PS/2.

The other keyboard I've been looking at is the Razer Lycosa.  It's designed specifically for games, but uses laptop style scissors switches.  I know the tactile feedback from scissor switches varies between manufacturers.  The keys on old IBM Thinkpads feel nice and clicky, but the keys on Dell laptops are like a cheap rubber-dome keyboard.  If someone has any experience with this board I'd like to know how the keys feel.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 16:45:11 »
The Das Keyboard has blue Cherry keyswitches and is billed as having n-key rollover.  If I needed a full-sized 'board for serious gaming as well as day-to-day typing, I'd definitely pick up one of the new Das keyboards.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 20:01:19 »
Quote from: thatguyyouknow;5568
The other keyboard I've been looking at is the Razer Lycosa.  It's designed specifically for games, but uses laptop style scissors switches.  I know the tactile feedback from scissor switches varies between manufacturers.  The keys on old IBM Thinkpads feel nice and clicky, but the keys on Dell laptops are like a cheap rubber-dome keyboard.  If someone has any experience with this board I'd like to know how the keys feel.

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. I bought the Lycosa and it was the worst keyboard purchases I have made. The keys are laptop style but the keys have a "loose" feel to them. It feels like when you lift your fingers from the board each key makes a "plastic hollow rattle" sound. The board looks and feels rather cheap (hollow shiny brittle plastic), especially for spending 80 bucks on it.

The back lighting is ok... it's certainly nothing like a Deck keyboard in terms of lighting. If you want a gaming board... one that is solid and last you a long time I would recommend one with mechanical switches like IMav suggested (the das keyboard).

I personally prefer the black linear switches for games though because it's a little annoying when you slowly depress the key to have to "punch through" a click (IMO blue cherries feel great when typing fast, but not as great when slowly depressing the keys).

If you want a board with the cherry black linear switches (these key switches don't have tactile feedback so they probably aren't what you are looking for) the steelseries 7G is a kick ass board. If you want a space saver version of the 7G Deck's 82 key keyboards are great. Just keep in mine that the Decks boards have a  plastic "metallic" sound when the key is depressed all the way. But they do have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you don't like it, just send it back and get your money back. Stay away from the legend, the space bar has a sharp angle on it and an uneven height compared to the rest of the keys.

If you want a board that clicks IMav's suggestion on the Das is a good one. It's an excellent board but I tend to use mine for long programming sessions and use the 7G for games.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline thatguyyouknow

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 20:48:46 »
I was thinking about getting a 7G , but I'm extremely obsessive about keyboard layout and the large enter button is a deal breaker for me.  Looks like I'll be preordering a Das III.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 June 2008, 21:04:28 »
Quote from: thatguyyouknow;5575
I was thinking about getting a 7G , but I'm extremely obsessive about keyboard layout and the large enter button is a deal breaker for me.  Looks like I'll be preordering a Das III.

Have you used a board with blue stemmed cherry switches? They feel awesome like IMav said, but they took some getting use to when I first got them because you don't have to push the key all the way down to get the key to register (which will increase your typing speed).
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 June 2008, 20:11:54 »
basically if you like a noisy keyboard get a das keyboard, and for silent gaming get a steelkeys. By the way the new Das III has n-key rollover so will be more suited to gaming than the old Das II keyboard.

I have the advantage of having both the steelkeys 6g and a cherry blue keyboard as well. I'm with korbin for gaming that the black cherrys seem better, i think i become more recluse and focused when i game because i use fewer keys so noise from the keyboard can become a distraction unless your used to it. Also due to the clicky mouse switches are the main noise coming from my input devices.
But blue cherrys although noisy and will drive anyone out of your room, have the best typing experience, it feels like gaming when typing by itself as your defying your previous noise levels. That said blue cherrys are more than serviceable as a gaming keyboard, just increase your speaker volume a notch higher than normal as you might drown out some important gaming notice
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline firegun9

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 00:08:29 »
I had a cherry g80-1800 for about three weeks.
It has cherry black switch (linear feeling), which is also used on steelseries 6G and 7G.
It is great for playing games in my opinion. I play team fortress 2, and I found that the keyboard makes moving more easily in the game because the keys are more responsive.

However, it's pretty bad for typing.
I am a programmer. When I use it to write code, my fingers get tired easily. Though I could get the keys triggered without pushing them all the way down, that would make me miss many keys. I even think membrane keyboards are better than it for long time use.

I am considering selling the keyboard and switch to one with brown switch.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 06:54:27 »
I thought the 6G came with blues?

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 June 2008, 20:29:14 »
nope they came with blacks, but they work well, just gotta get used to the blacks and good for quiet environments
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad