Poll

Have you preordered the Das Keyboard III?

es, I have preordered the DKIII
9 (28.1%)
o, the DKIII does not interest me
9 (28.1%)
\'m on the fence
8 (25%)
ant to hear real-world feedback before pulling the trigger
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Have you preordered a Das Keyboard III?  (Read 17684 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Have you preordered a Das Keyboard III?
« on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 10:10:04 »
Just checking to see who all has preordered the Das III.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 10:35:42 »
I have Das Keyboard II, dont know if its worth it having the previous  version.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 10:40:27 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;6198
I have Das Keyboard II, dont know if its worth it having the previous  version.

I guess the only real drivers would be if you wanted the built-in USB hub or wanted printed keys.

I broke down and preordered one.  Worst case, I have a source for blue cherry keyswitches if I want them in my pre-ordered Filco spacesaver (which should be equipped with cherry browns).  ;)

Offline Waves77

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 13:36:17 »
Same here. I ordered one... I hope it doesn't look too flashy once I get it. I really like the toned down but excellent quality build of the Filco.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline 003

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:22:08 »
I'm wondering, if it does end up being a really nice keyboard, but it is glossy and shiny and gets fingerprints and smudges easily, shouldn't it be fairly easy to take some fine sandpaper (1000-1500 grit), disassemble it, and lightly sand the outer frame to a matte finish?

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:29:33 »
Glossy plastics tend to be softer and scratch more easily than normal ones, so even if you could somehow wear down the surface evenly, it's a finish that might not last.  There's that, and the three lights shine through the surface; if you made it matt, they'd just look like three blurred blue lights.  I have an Intuos 3 SE with a glossy black finish and I keep it covered up because I REALLY don't want to damage it >_<.

Offline 003

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:46:31 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;6229
Glossy plastics tend to be softer and scratch more easily than normal ones, so even if you could somehow wear down the surface evenly, it's a finish that might not last.  There's that, and the three lights shine through the surface; if you made it matt, they'd just look like three blurred blue lights.  I have an Intuos 3 SE with a glossy black finish and I keep it covered up because I REALLY don't want to damage it >_<.

Aww man I forgot about that!! Why the @#$% would they make a keyboard that scratches and smudges like an iPod?! :mad: Surely somebody must have realized what a mistake that would be ???

Offline iMav

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 14:52:41 »
Quote from: 003;6231
Aww man I forgot about that!! Why the @#$% would they make a keyboard that scratches and smudges like an iPod?! :mad: Surely somebody must have realized what a mistake that would be ???

Of course, this is all speculation at this point.  Let's wait and see how the keyboard actually holds up in the real world before condemning it.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 15:09:52 »
I'm speaking from experience of products with these supposedly sophisticated finishes.  I'm sure it'll be fine for most people though.  As an example, I always have to remember to remove my watch before I do anything with my tablet because without even noticing it, the metal bracelet comes perilously close to the glossy surface as i'm drawing.  Maybe i'm just paranoid.  If you treat the thing with a bit of respect it'll be OK.  What would've been good is if they offered a version with a nice thick piece of glass over the top; scratch resistant and a lot more heft.

Offline 003

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 July 2008, 15:27:35 »
Hmmmm.... what about some kind of tough, clear enamel hard coating?

Offline smy

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 July 2008, 15:56:02 »
My order from getdigital.de just shipped earlier today. Hopefully it'll get delivered by friday so I'll have the weekend to play with them.

Decided to splurge on the Das III cause I go through 3-4 membrane keyboards annually(yes i'm anal about the feel of my keyboards) until I got introduced to the world of mechanical keyboards (cherry black stems)last year.
The black cherry were actually very usable, despite requiring more effort to register a keystroke. Hopefully the blue stems on the Das don't require so much activation force.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 July 2008, 16:04:10 »
Quote from: smy;6446
My order from getdigital.de just shipped earlier today. Hopefully it'll get delivered by friday so I'll have the weekend to play with them.

Decided to splurge on the Das III cause I go through 3-4 membrane keyboards annually(yes i'm anal about the feel of my keyboards) until I got introduced to the world of mechanical keyboards (cherry black stems)last year.
The black cherry were actually very usable, despite requiring more effort to register a keystroke. Hopefully the blue stems on the Das don't require so much activation force.

I find the force required to be very similar for the blue and the black ones. The blue ones are way better though, I'm sure you'll like them.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline smy

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 10:45:21 »
Well well, today the delivery truck dropped by and now I have a new keyboard to play with.

First impressions, the force required for keystrokes are significantly lower then the black stems. Its almost as effortless to tap on the keys. The feedback force is very linear from the moment u press it , until all the way down. There is however a subtle click midway, as expected.

Initially I had doubts if the cherry blue stems would work for gaming considering its click tactile nature, a linear action will be more suitable for FPS gaming. Fortunately, it was very usable, thanks to its very light touch.

Short test with the n-key-rollover.It does seem work up to 5 keys simultaneously. Above 5 keys, the keystrokes will still register but at a much faster rate than normal. For instance, if you tapped alphabet "A" as the 6th keystroke, it would fill up your whole screen within moments.

My only quirk so far is the noise it produces, it does click clack quite loudly but hopefully that will die down as I use it more. Judging from the force graphs from cherry, I would consider brown stems more usable than the blues.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 11:55:46 »
I just got my tracking number, my Das III Pro is arriving on monday!

Anybody else already have had it shipped? They're located in TX and I'm in NM, so I'm lucky with the shipping speed :)
Current collection:

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 July 2008, 11:58:25 »
Quote from: Waves77;6502
I just got my tracking number, my Das III Pro is arriving on monday!

Anybody else already have had it shipped? They're located in TX and I'm in NM, so I'm lucky with the shipping speed :)

I just got the same message. :)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 13:36:31 »
I voted as waiting on real-world feedback, but ordered it anyway. Don't have a tracking number yet. Hopefully Monday I will have one. As far as I can tell this is my best shot at a keyboard with cherry blue switches that is available locally. I look forward to receiving it.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Waves77

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 13:57:45 »
Quote from: bigpook;6516
I voted as waiting on real-world feedback, but ordered it anyway. Don't have a tracking number yet. Hopefully Monday I will have one. As far as I can tell this is my best shot at a keyboard with cherry blue switches that is available locally. I look forward to receiving it.

Seeing your love for model M's I think you will really really like the blue cherries!

Makes monday less of a crappy day doesn't it? ;)
Current collection:

Offline Korbin

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 20:34:19 »
I just got mine yesterday. It sounds a little different (quieter actually) than the das II to me (even though it has the same switches). I think it is because the casing for the board isn't as "hollow" as the das II.

Anyone else that has the Das II notice the same thing?

It also says that the switches are rated in the 20 million range. I thought the cherry switches were rated in the 50 million range (or is that only certain switches)?
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline bigpook

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 July 2008, 22:07:40 »
Quote from: Waves77;6517
Seeing your love for model M's I think you will really really like the blue cherries!

Makes monday less of a crappy day doesn't it? ;)

I am certainly looking forward to it. As much as I love my model m's and unicomp keyboards I want to try something different. The blue cherry's seem to be the next step.
Somewhere on the horizon there is a HHKB Pro 2, but right now that is a ways away.
Mondays still bite though : )

Offline iMav

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 11:31:52 »
Quote from: Korbin;6522
I just got mine yesterday.

Pics???

Offline Waves77

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 12:03:13 »
Quote from: bigpook;6524
Somewhere on the horizon there is a HHKB Pro 2, but right now that is a ways away.
Mondays still bite though : )

Same here. I'd definitely would love to try a hhkb pro 2. I've promised myself that when I finish this large ecommerce project I'm working on I'd get it for myself :)
Current collection:

Offline Korbin

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 12:07:34 »
Errrr..... Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera.

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 14:57:54 »
Quote from: Korbin;6522
It also says that the switches are rated in the 20 million range. I thought the cherry switches were rated in the 50 million range (or is that only certain switches)?

The linear Cherry keyswitches are rated 50 million operations, the tactile "only" 20 million.

More info here: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 15:29:22 »
There's probably less wear involved in a linear action, which may explain that difference.  No components grinding against each other to make a click, perhaps?

Offline Korbin

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 17:16:16 »
Quote from: xyzzy;6529
The linear Cherry keyswitches are rated 50 million operations, the tactile "only" 20 million.

More info here: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Ah, that's right.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 17:50:18 »
I would guess that after 20 million clicks the click part is clacked, but if you look at the design of the Cherry switch, it should still function without that part of the stem that causes the sound. Another thing to consider is the springs are all different, so that may be the culprit as well.

I often worry about wearing out the left apple key because I use it so much in so many applications.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 18:04:23 »
Quote from: xsphat;6534
I would guess that after 20 million clicks the click part is clacked, but if you look at the design of the Cherry switch, it should still function without that part of the stem that causes the sound. Another thing to consider is the springs are all different, so that may be the culprit as well.

I often worry about wearing out the left apple key because I use it so much in so many applications.

That makes sense since the key activation is a separate mechanism from the click. But I would imagine the board would horrible typing with one of key clicks out.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 July 2008, 18:08:15 »
Quote from: Korbin;6537
But I would imagine the board would horrible typing with one of key clicks out.

I agree. It might be able to total the switch too, depending on what part of it broke.

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 July 2008, 17:59:40 »
Mine came today. I've only had it unboxed for about 10 minutes, but my initial impressions are quite positive.  I really like the blues so far. :)

Offline Waves77

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 July 2008, 19:56:25 »
Mine is here too :)

Nice to have blues again.

Initial reaction are mostly *****ing/nitpicking:
- Odd, but for some reason the keys "sit" differently in this board than for example in the Scorpius. For now I preferred the feel of the Scorpius to this one, even though it's exactly the same keyswitches..
- Shiny. It smudges yes... it comes with a very cheapy little cleaning cloth.
- The plastic casing could be better. Definitely below a Filco or a model M, etc.

I haven't tried the usb hub yet, although it's not something I really have a need for. Altogether I'm sure I'll really get into this one after a few days (I've also been on the brown cherries for a while now). I think for the price and taking into consideration it's available in the US it's a pretty decent keyboard.
Current collection:

Offline zvz

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 03:31:02 »
They need a model w/o the windows keys.   =(

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 03:51:10 »
Quote from: zvz;6567

I'm with you buddy. Thanks why my keyboard and wife are close to the same age.

Offline iMav

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 07:33:35 »
Quote from: zvz;6567

I don't get the hate for the "windows key" (especially on a board where it is blank).  I happily use it as an extra meta/modifier key when it is available.  (perhaps I'm simply still used to the meta key on my old Sun workstations)

That being said, I can easily get by without it...I just don't have the severe hate for it that others do.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 07:46:27 »
I agree with iMav.  It's just a key.  Since I use Windows (sorry, but needs must as the Devil drives) I use that key for a couple of things like showing or hiding the desktop and occasionally activating the Start menu.  There are plenty of keys I almost never use like Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Pause.  The Pause button is only useful for halting the boot-up sequence which isn't something I have to do unless i'm curious about something.  These extra keys don't bother me though.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 10:11:02 »
Quote from: iMav;6569
I don't get the hate for the "windows key"

but if the enter key is in any way different than an a Model M, you won't even try the keyboard ...

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 10:18:50 »
That's because the L-shaped enter is the spawn of the devil.

Anyway, I think most of the intense hate for the Windows key might come from gamers on Windows - hit the Win key, and you lose, because the game loses focus as the start menu pops up. It was more of a problem back in the days of older games that used full keyboard schemes involving Ctrl and Alt, rather than keyboard+mouse schemes, but...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 10:41:48 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6573
That's because the L-shaped enter is the spawn of the devil.

You know, I used to think the same thing, but when I started using my Evolution (coming from a Model M myself), I hardly even notice it.  What I notice more, but becoming acustom to, is the odd placement of the arrow keys and the navigation cluster (see avatar pic).  I could care less if I have Windows keys or not.  I don't hate them, but I do not use them, either.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 11:30:19 »
I really have nothing against wacky shaped enter keys. I'm not a coder, wouldn't know where to start, so I have never used the pipe key in my life on any keyboard, so I guess that could be why I don't mind the key being shaped differently. My favorite layout is the IBM 101, like my Northgate and Model M, but if I use a keyboard with the reverse L enter key I really don't notice it.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 14:16:54 »
First off, I usually use the pipe more in the command line than I do while slinging code...

Second, the pipe's the secondary character on that key, the backslash is the primary key, and on a Windows machine, the backslash is important when typing pathnames. I use it quite a lot. ;)

Finally, there's another problem with many keyboards with L-shaped enters... backspace is shortened to make room for the backslash/pipe key. That's the true annoying thing about it. I see that Northgate at least stuck it down on the right side of right Shift, a key that's rarely used (good,) and didn't affect backspace at all.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 15:42:18 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6577
I see that Northgate at least stuck it down on the right side of right Shift, a key that's rarely used (good,) and didn't affect backspace at all.

Yeah, they have a pretty good layout even with that enter key, but I'll take the layout on my Northgate anyday:

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 15:53:22 »
Well, yeah, that layout is optimal. ;)

(Or at least that layout with a Windows key or two.)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 16:30:56 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;6582
(Or at least that layout with a Windows key or two.)

:eek: We take that sort of talk as fightin' words 'round here!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 16:41:56 »
Get the shotgun Ma! Theres varmints at the door!

No windows keys for me please : )

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 16:54:14 »
My Windows keys are remapped to function as Option keys, thank you very much. ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 17:57:53 »
In linux they act as meta keys and actually can be useful. Its the logo thats on the key that is so wrong for me. Imav doesn't understand the dislike. To be fair my dislike for the windows key is entirely irrational. I know this : ) But its usually nothing that a Sharpie can't fix....But I do prefer keyboards without that particular key.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 21:06:08 »
Also, Unicomp will gladly charge you for blank Windows key keycaps, or ones with Command printed on them. (You still have to remap, and switch Alt and the new Command around, but...)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 15 July 2008, 21:54:08 »
Are you ure they have Command keys? I asked about them a while ago and they said they would include a few blanks to take the place of them.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 08:59:14 »
I'm not certain of it, but I have heard it in a couple places...

If nothing else, though, blanks are better than Windows keys if it's the principle of the thing.

(And, I believe they'll sell you a board with black keys and no printing at all for $10 more.)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 10:21:46 »
I bought a spacesaver recently from Unicomp with blank keys, I think it was an extra 10 dollars.

Offline 003

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 16 July 2008, 22:24:57 »
I just got a shipping notice for my DK Pro!