Author Topic: Help picking out new keyboard  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Xen_DeKhra

Help picking out new keyboard
« on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 01:27:30 »
Hi all,

I've been looking through this forum because I've been trying to figure out what to do as far as getting a new keyboard goes.  I'm currently running mac and windows(somewhat a part of my looking for a new keyboard) and was looking at the Matias Tactile Pro 2(I liked the Win/Mac keycaps) but after some bad review, I kinda drifted away from that.  After that, I thought about a keyboard that I had admired from the first time I heard of it Das Keyboard(2 at the time, obviously 3 now).  After looking around here, I went to the Unicomp site and was looking around there at their wares.

My question to you guys is: What would you suggest?  I like to have the num pad, so that's one of the only things that I really want.  Otherwise, I'm pretty good with just about anything.  If anyone knows of a good keyboard with both the mac and the windows keys laid out, I may love you forever.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 07:18:30 »
While no substitute for trying a few yourself (if you know people that have some of the keyboards you are considering).  FWIW, I would suggest either a Northgate/CVT Avant or IBM Model M/Unicomp keyboard.  I prefer louder, clickier switches, though.  Oversimplified, the Alps (Northgate/CVT/Matias) are higher pitched, if not louder; and the Buckling Springs (IBM/Unicomp) feel more tactile.  If you don't like quite as much noise, you may want to go with a keyboard with Cherry's "Brown" switches like the Filco 'boards.  I have never used them myself, but they are supposed to be much quieter, but retain some tactility.  I have never used a HHKB, so I am not sure about their feel/sound.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 08:42:33 »
Not so sure about the Mac layout, but the unicomp keybords can be had with a num pad, they are buckling spring with great feedback and are new.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 09:05:20 »
You have to go into System Preferences, and then Keyboard & Mouse, and remap the modifier keys, because Command and Option are reversed on a Windows-layout keyboard.

Otherwise, a 104-key Unicomp should work fine with a Mac, that's what I use with this iBook when I don't want to use the dreadful internal keyboard. ;)

Offline Xen_DeKhra

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 09:50:30 »
Ok, thanks for the recommendations on the Unicomp.  I do like to have a loud keyboard and I'm hoping that it will feel as nice as I think it will.  I'm now trying to decide between the spacesaver or the endurapro.  I already have a mouse/trackball(games/everything else), so I'm not sure if I would need the tracknub on the edurapro.  Can you guys think of any reason that it would be good? Just getting others opinions before I go out a buy, what is to me, a fairly expensive keyboard(70 or 100$ is a lot more expensive than the free ones I've been using).

Thanks again!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 12:04:08 »
Quote from: Xen_DeKhra;7033
Ok, thanks for the recommendations on the Unicomp.  I do like to have a loud keyboard and I'm hoping that it will feel as nice as I think it will.  I'm now trying to decide between the spacesaver or the endurapro.  I already have a mouse/trackball(games/everything else), so I'm not sure if I would need the tracknub on the edurapro.  Can you guys think of any reason that it would be good? Just getting others opinions before I go out a buy, what is to me, a fairly expensive keyboard(70 or 100$ is a lot more expensive than the free ones I've been using).

Thanks again!

I have the full size unicomp and the spacesaver one. They both type the same, the advantage of the spacesaver is that it is smaller. They are loud, clicky and have a good feel ( the way I like it). The keys are 2 piece if that matters.

I think bhtooefr has the endura pro with the mouse thingy on the board.

If the $70 is too much ( remember that in all probability the unicomp keyboard will last you many many years, so choose wisely), then go to ebay and get a used IBM model M. There are plenty to be had there and I have had good luck with the ones that I have gotten there. The full  size model m's are relatively cheap.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 July 2008, 13:21:38 »
The pointing stick is useful for when you want to move the pointer, and you don't want to remove your hands from the keyboard.

I still prefer the ones on ThinkPads and on the Model M13, but the one on the EnduraPro is at least useful. It has to have one hell of a learning curve, though - it had a learning curve for me, and I use an IBM TrackPoint (IBM's implementation) every day!

Also, I typically use my EnduraPro with my iBook. Not having to move my hands all the way over to the laptop is worth paying $30 more. If you're already using conventional pointing devices, then maybe it won't be worth $30 for you.