Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 438638 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 03:36:54 »

My precious

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 05:29:23 »
GOTSTA GO NAKED

Show Image

Blank caps look so beautiful on this board. I can't wait for my money situation to be settled again so I can get this set.

Blanks are the way to go.  Looks better, but the typing experience is better too.  You stop looking down at the keyboard.  It really is the way to type.

Says the man with a HHKB full of Clacks ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jonnybeantown

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:19:16 »
I have been using this for about two days now, and I am in love. This thing is heaven right now. It makes me actually want to do my homework and papers. I just love typing with this. Topre switches really are indescribable. It's no where close to a regular rubber dome, and no where close to a mx switch. It has a feel on its own. It just feels like love on my fingers. In terms of typing improvement, I have a better flow and have made far less errors with this board than any of my others. This board just feels beautiful. I don't even fret over bottoming out because it sounds amazing and feels soft. It's like I bottom out on a bunch of soft pads. That pleasant thock and raindrop return. No stabilizers. This thing is amazing.

I thought I was in love, then I got the Type-S. Now I'm twitterpated.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:31:08 »
So much oneness with cup rubber.   :thumb:

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:59:02 »
Ordered one, just waiting for it to be bloody delivered!! CANT WAIT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:35:39 »
Nevermind. I found mikelanding's post and o2dazone's post. I like how o2dazone's mod sounds, but it just seems like a lot of work. I might do the dental bands one. It doesn't sound too different from o2dazone's board. Just gotta find my screw driver and order some dental bands.

It was a lot of work and in the end, I switched to dental bands (and lube). It was nice, but I grew to love the slight adjustment in distance between full up to bottom out.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:40:32 »
Nevermind. I found mikelanding's post and o2dazone's post. I like how o2dazone's mod sounds, but it just seems like a lot of work. I might do the dental bands one. It doesn't sound too different from o2dazone's board. Just gotta find my screw driver and order some dental bands.

It was a lot of work and in the end, I switched to dental bands (and lube). It was nice, but I grew to love the slight adjustment in distance between full up to bottom out.

What did you lube the sliders with?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:33:48 »
What did you lube the sliders with?

krytox 100

Offline spammy1982

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:57:23 »
I got my hhkb pro 2 over the weekend, and I, too am in love.   I do medical transcription as my day job, and then go home to my linux system at night.  I wanted something that was easily portable, so I can take it back and forth to work.  I must say, I was initially a little concerned about the arrow keys until I realized it was a total non-issue, in fact the setup on the hhkb just makes sense: the function key is in the perfect spot, so adapting to it was easy because it just felt right.  I love its sound, I love the texture of the keys, I love that the caps lock key is gone, I just f-ing love it. 

I got into mech keyboards a few years ago when I picked up a Das with browns.  A few months ago I felt like I wanted to move onto something different, so I picked up a CM Storm Trigger on Amazon with blues.  It took me 5 minutes to realize it was not for me... and maybe a gamer would like it; but for me it just didn't feel right, keys didn't have a uniform sound (and it was ridiculously heavy).  When I got my HHKB, however, it was love and respect.  It really is.... perfection.... although it could use 1 or 2 click clacks. ;-)
~sam

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:32:57 »
I got my hhkb pro 2 over the weekend, and I, too am in love.   I do medical transcription as my day job, and then go home to my linux system at night.  I wanted something that was easily portable, so I can take it back and forth to work.  I must say, I was initially a little concerned about the arrow keys until I realized it was a total non-issue, in fact the setup on the hhkb just makes sense: the function key is in the perfect spot, so adapting to it was easy because it just felt right.  I love its sound, I love the texture of the keys, I love that the caps lock key is gone, I just f-ing love it. 

I got into mech keyboards a few years ago when I picked up a Das with browns.  A few months ago I felt like I wanted to move onto something different, so I picked up a CM Storm Trigger on Amazon with blues.  It took me 5 minutes to realize it was not for me... and maybe a gamer would like it; but for me it just didn't feel right, keys didn't have a uniform sound (and it was ridiculously heavy).  When I got my HHKB, however, it was love and respect.  It really is.... perfection.... although it could use 1 or 2 click clacks. ;-)
~sam

Welcome to the club! Your reaction was similar to mine. Long before I got my HHKB Pro 2, I noticed from the reviews that more than any other keyboard, the HHKB Pro 2 evoked strongly positive emotional responses from people. They did not merely like the keyboard, they loved it.

Meanwhile, my recently displaced IBM SSK is still sitting on my side-table, waiting patiently for its turn in my intended HHKB Pro2 - IBM SSK rotation. However, I keep delaying, because I want to continue using the HHKB Pro 2.

However, I have noticed one somewhat negative thing about the HHKB Pro 2 that I do not recall happening with the IBM SSK, and that is unintentional key presses. For me, the only thing I might want to change about the HHKB Pro 2 is the actuation pressure of the key switches. It might be better at 55 grams rather than 45 grams.

Offline spammy1982

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:39:14 »

~sam

Welcome to the club! Your reaction was similar to mine. Long before I got my HHKB Pro 2, I noticed from the reviews that more than any other keyboard, the HHKB Pro 2 evoked strongly positive emotional responses from people. They did not merely like the keyboard, they loved it.

Meanwhile, my recently displaced IBM SSK is still sitting on my side-table, waiting patiently for its turn in my intended HHKB Pro2 - IBM SSK rotation. However, I keep delaying, because I want to continue using the HHKB Pro 2.

However, I have noticed one somewhat negative thing about the HHKB Pro 2 that I do not recall happening with the IBM SSK, and that is unintentional key presses. For me, the only thing I might want to change about the HHKB Pro 2 is the actuation pressure of the key switches. It might be better at 55 grams rather than 45 grams.

Yep, I agree... I've noticed getting ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff  a few times while I rested my fingers on the keys... but it's not that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 23:21:14 »
I've never had that issue with 45g keys...I do have that issue w/ 30g keys though....like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...which comes out every so often cause I barely have to press it for that to happen....I actually think the actuation point on the 30g is higher than 45g...that's what I've found anyways...

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:25:55 »
I don't think it was mentioned - what is the materials of the key caps of HHKB Pro2? ABS or PBT?

The second thing - I know everyone loves to type of HHKB and Topre and I guess you are all touch typist? How does this radical layout fit a non touch typist? Some one like me who pokes with a few fingers? I do enjoyed MX and Matias Quiet Pro and can sense the tactility or linearity of a switch, so I am not asking about feel of Topre but more of the HHKB radical key layout for non touch typist.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:44:17 »
I don't think it was mentioned - what is the materials of the key caps of HHKB Pro2? ABS or PBT?

The second thing - I know everyone loves to type of HHKB and Topre and I guess you are all touch typist? How does this radical layout fit a non touch typist? Some one like me who pokes with a few fingers? I do enjoyed MX and Matias Quiet Pro and can sense the tactility or linearity of a switch, so I am not asking about feel of Topre but more of the HHKB radical key layout for non touch typist.

They are dye sublimated PBT caps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 05:46:17 »
And space bar is ABS.

I have a fairly radical typing method, although I can touch type if I have to.  For this I prefer uniform boards, which I understand HHKB is, otherwise you'd be using the wrong fingers on the lighter weight keys and it would feel weird.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 08:45:44 »
Do you mean certain keys in HHKB is lighter or are you referring to a lighter Topre switch in general. From reading what you wrote I have the impression certain keys are lighter than others.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 09:08:02 »
Do you mean certain keys in HHKB is lighter or are you referring to a lighter Topre switch in general. From reading what you wrote I have the impression certain keys are lighter than others.

HHKB is uniform throughout

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:08:29 »

I was referring to non-uniform Topre boards, such as some RealForce models.  They have lighter switches towards the edge of the board and heavier in the middle.  The weighting is biased towards touch-typing, which I generally do not do, hence a uniformly weighted board is better for me.

Also a uniformly weighted board is better for gaming, especially WASD games.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:01:27 »
Wow, I learned new things everyday. I didn't know there is such a thing as anon-uniform keyboards - which will NOT work for me as I am not a touch typist. Thanks, rowdy. At least, I can still aim for HHKB one day, since it is uniform.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 22:20:16 »
<3

Offline terran5992

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 01:12:30 »
<3

Show Image

Show Image

Why do you make us jelly ?

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 11:15:37 »
<3

Show Image

Show Image

No bots?
I am dissapoint
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 11:57:57 »
<3

Show Image

Show Image

No bots?
I am dissapoint

Don't you worry, topre is coming soon :P

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:23:47 »
Where'd you get the wrist rest, Bro?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:24:51 »
Where'd you get the wrist rest, Bro?

from amazon japan. it's the bird electron brand

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:26:48 »
Ive found that i dont need a wrist rest as much with my hhkb pro 2.

I still use it with my 660c though.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline DarkFire989

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:07:34 »
Threads like this really make me  fear for my wallet. I REALLY want one, probably blank white, it's just so pretty. IIRC this thing doesn't have rubber pads  to prevent it from sliding around correct? I have the Goliathus extended mouse pad, would it sit still on it?
Das Ultimate | Noppoo Choc Mini | Nighthawk X8

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:30:16 »
Sliding isn't an issue like others complain on unless you are abnormally violent with your typing. That said; I use like grippy pads underneith because it filters some of the desk noise as the keys depress- I find it gives me a truer sound of the board.

Btw, good color choice ;)
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:34:12 »
Yeah, I didn't have a problem with mine sliding around too much. It does have rubber pads, though only two in the front.

Offline DarkFire989

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:48:48 »
Thanks guys. Is it hard to get used to the blank keyset with all the function keys?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:51:43 »
Thanks guys. Is it hard to get used to the blank keyset with all the function keys?

If you already can touch type, its not really hard. And after you get used to it, you will love it and never want to use another layout.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:53:27 »
What you should consider is this: why do you really want a blank keyboard? Is it because you see everyone else with one or because you really want one? Don't fall victim to what you think is hip. I personally love legends. I can touch type, but legends just add more aesthetic value for me.

Offline DarkFire989

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:55:08 »
I am indifferent. I really like either. It's just the blank is cleaner / more minimalist looking.

Offline mreoww

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:02:44 »
Are 400$ CCs hip? Don't fall victim.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:05:23 »
Implying I bought it because I care what you think about me?

But hey, touche, right?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:12:20 »
Are 400$ CCs hip? Don't fall victim.

That's so off topic

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:14:06 »
That's so off topic

Not for him. His topics are Clarks and me. Take a look at his post history.

Offline mreoww

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:14:49 »
Uh oh, cue the Moose herd.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:18:32 »
Uh oh, cue the Moose herd.

Actually I had no idea this had anyone to do with moose...but ok

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:44:40 »

Pretty much all 60% boards use similar Fn layers for home, end, page up, page down, print screen. Insert, delete have the most variance from what I've seen.

Personally, it was not hard at all, but I was coming from a Filco Minila with a very similar layout with the above mentioned Fn layer keys.

The backspace, delete, aarows and control have all been really easily adjusted too and I think almost all of the layout is intuitive and logical.

I too find the blank look sleeker than caps with legends but everyone is different. However, if you want to keep the cohesiveness of the minimal design that the keyboard provides, blanks are the way to go IMO.
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:50:38 »
Ordered my HHKB on Valentine's Day of this year. We're still going strong. It's a love that's meant to last a lifetime.

39739-0

<3

Offline brialona

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:47:08 »
kind of makes me want to get a hhkb now
ozil

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 00:48:00 »
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline redskull

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 01:06:40 »
my black on black hhkb is here. fuu... nice, just as expected. waiting for printed keycaps to arrive in a few hours.  :thumb:

Offline terran5992

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 05:22:29 »

Offline DarkFire989

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 08:22:17 »
Ordered my HHKB on Valentine's Day of this year. We're still going strong. It's a love that's meant to last a lifetime.

(Attachment Link)

<3

Love it. Looks awesome  :thumb:

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 09:23:34 »
my black on black hhkb is here. fuu... nice, just as expected. waiting for printed keycaps to arrive in a few hours.  :thumb:
Your review/impression please!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:13:21 »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:56:51 »
I had to repost my friends HHKB here, because it was possibly the most inspiring keyboard photo I have ever seen. Not to mention, he's a great photographer.

and

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:59:20 by Bro Caps »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 19:17:21 »
That second shot was really creative. I have one of those pillow cases and I would've never thought to use it as a background, the first time I saw that shot I couldn't believe how simple yet unique that pillow case was.