Author Topic: Razer Ornata good for typing?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Razer Ornata good for typing?
« on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 20:15:32 »
I currently use a Filco Majestouch 1 TKL with Blues. I used to have a CoolerMaster NovaTouch (cheaper Topre), which I loved to touch but had some issues typing on it and eventually sadly managed to kill it or at least the keycaps (I'll see if I can get a replacement). Meanwhile got myself some Kailh Browns as an emergency purchase on a trip that got me grounded, but I came back to the Filco after coming back home.

My issues with the various switches involve the fact I can't wholly unlearn bottoming out, and I often like to type at the fastest of my ability. Slowing down only works when typing leisurely, which is a rarer scenario.

The tactile feedback in clicky switches is a nice feeling and quite rewarding, but it feels a bit like a waste, as in typing could perhaps go faster without all the recoils, and perhaps at no significant cost to accuracy. Plus, for whatever reason blues have started feeling a little plasticky to me, same goes for browns but in a different way, and while trying various keyboards in stores I catch myself complaining about how slow the switches are to get back up after actuation. Sometimes it feels like my fingers are getting bogged down in something sticky like clay. I get into princess mode and reject board after board for similar reasons.

Three exceptions:

– reds (and it feels like there's much variance among the various keyboards that use them)
– something white-ish from Steelseries
– something relatively cheap from Logitech's new lineup (yeah, sorry for failing to remember the names) that's extremely responsive and snaps back fast
– Razer Ornata, which is… low-profile (scissor-style) and has a palmrest for a very reasonable price

I remember I've always liked low-profile scissor boards (not chiclet) despite always having had some issues with them, typically those flat keycaps getting in the way of a finger and flying off, plus some more. Ornata doesn't have the problem, as the caps aren't flat and are seated firmly. There is the capacitive feel, but it's different from Topre, and then there's also something close to that nice zap-zap feel of old browns and of Model F. It doesn't have NKRO, but with 10 KRO it should probably have better RO than my 2 KRO Majestouch. But, it's not tenkeyless. And its low profile is perhaps not that much lower than on my Majestouch (full-sized caps but a bit of designing around that).

Then there's the fact a HyperX with Reds and full NKRO/anti-ghosting can be purchased from just about anywhere.

And then there's Cherry Speed, maybe I should try that? And those new Steelseries and Logitech switches do feel much faster and more easily responsive than Cherries. Some have 1000 poll rate, and I happen to have a port factory-set up for it on my mobo.

And then there's always membrane Sculpt/Natural for RSI/CTS, but I can't get myself to use plain rubberdome except for some quality ones that cost more than mech boards and probably have less durability.

What would you suggest? I am for a nice subjective zap-zap lightning-speed like feeling with zero useless delays or complications and obsessively perfect responsiveness plus all the lag/misregistration avoidance one can have, and a forgiving reaction to bottoming out.

Silence could be a bonus because while I love the sound of blues, I've also noticed that typing in earplugs increases my comfort and typing speed and reduces subjective fatigue, so maybe the noise imposes some stress on my brain, which would be better to avoid. I suppose reds are better for that than Ornata's low-dbA but very obvious chirp.

Alternatively I could use fat o-rings to reduce the travel on my Filco.

What say ye?