Author Topic: [IC] GMK Gilded (SETS FINALISED & Extra Renders)  (Read 11128 times)

Offline gMit

[IC] GMK Gilded (SETS FINALISED & Extra Renders)
« on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:49:43 »
Introducing GMK Gilded.

A royal purple and gold set inspired by the richly coloured fabrics and expensive trimming of Persian rugs and Medieval tapestries. This set is timeless with it's high contrast, purple on white alphas and warm purple mods with golden yellow legends that look like little flecks of gold leaf.

To guarantee a reliable end product I have chosen to use RAL colours – easily producible by GMK.

I intend to release GMK Gilded with a base kit that supports a TKL, a numpad kit, a spacebar kit and a novelty kit.

All feedback is appreciated — I look forward to hearing what you would add, remove or change.
Feel free to pm me or message me on discord gMit#1955

Colours
As mentioned above I have chosen to go with RAL colours as they are known to be easily producible by GMK.

Alpha cap colour is GMK WS1 with RAL 4007 legends
Mod cap colour is RAL 4007 with RAL 1021 legends
Accent cap colour is RAL 1021 with RAL 4007 legends

If you're interested please consider filling out the Google form. It would help me get an understanding of community feedback!

KITS
These are just a starting point to gather feedback and may change
Kits have been finalised. Based on community feedback I have moved the ISO keys to the numpad kit in an attempt to keep the base kit cost effective and help meet MoQ for numpad/ISO users.

Base

Numpad

Spacebar

Novelty

RENDERS
TGR Jane by pngu

M60-A by pngu

DESKMATS
There was a lot of requests for deskmats on the google form so here are a few ideas. I appreciate any feedback you may have and want to hear your thoughts.

Special Thanks
Design feedback and novelties: GH:dchessari/Watashi Would #4835
Renders: pngu

UPDATES
[05/05/19] Extra renders added
[04/05/19] Finalised set renders added
[02/05/19] Deskmat options added
[02/05/19] Extra novelties added
[30/04/19] I have changed the name of the set to GMK Gilded, slight oversight on my part.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2019, 05:32:44 by gMit »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] GMK Guilded
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:54:02 »
don't think shinz0 would take too kindly to this

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92895.0
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:54:15 »
Looking good!

Offline mta

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:55:21 »
Reminds me of a darker GMK Purple Golden https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82873.0 or GMK White Knight https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92895.0 but other than that I still think it's a nice colorway / I like the contrast and dark purples, though I think some care would be needed to ensure it doesn't suffer from GMK Phantom's "issue" of almost appearing black when not in direct light.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2019, 00:57:17 by mta »

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 01:01:12 »

I agree this is a very similar combination of colours - a very popular combination in the world of colour theory. I also think enough time has passed, as well as the colours are different enough for it not to be in danger of being confused as the same set.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 01:34:19 »
No individual can call dibs on any colorway. Don't mind all the color-gatekeeper.... If you like this color and like to run it, I fully support your decision  :thumb:

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 02:15:23 »

I agree this is a very similar combination of colours - a very popular combination in the world of colour theory. I also think enough time has passed, as well as the colours are different enough for it not to be in danger of being confused as the same set.

Yeah, colors are different enough. Especially now that I’ve taken a different direction with my purple.

Cool set man!

Offline jortzii

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 02:26:27 »

Yeah, colors are different enough. Especially now that I’ve taken a different direction with my purple.

Cool set man!
Both sets are great in their own ways. Y’all are killing me with these sets rn, plz run later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 02:32:53 »

Good thing people don't own Colours!

Offline AaronR

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 02:43:13 »
Must have RAMA cap.

Offline Yonben

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 03:58:50 »
Nice set :)

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 04:17:29 »
Was thinking about the same colorway the other day, only with GMK standard colors. Will be following with interest  :thumb:

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline garbo

Re: [IC] GMK Guilded - Novelties Updated
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 07:31:19 »
I'm not all that invested in the idea of this set, but I do feel the need to question its name. Are you misspelling "gilded", or is it supposed to relate to guilds somehow?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 07:57:00 »
I'm not all that invested in the idea of this set, but I do feel the need to question its name. Are you misspelling "gilded", or is it supposed to relate to guilds somehow?
I think guilded like in "guild" a play on the word gilded

Offline farmisen

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 10:09:47 »

Good thing people don't own Colours!

Although they can trademark it, people don't own colors but an artistic color layout whether made out of paint, ceramic tiles, yarn or keycaps falls under the laws of intellectual property.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline pwade3

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 12:16:05 »
No individual can call dibs on any colorway. Don't mind all the color-gatekeeper.... If you like this color and like to run it, I fully support your decision  :thumb:

Let me say first and foremost, that I can see how these sets are different and this is in no way a condemnation of Guilded or gMit.

However, that is not a healthy attitude to have. If someone is working on an IC, it does not make it okay for someone else to swoop in on a colorway just because they may be faster than the original person.

This whole section of the hobby operates on levels of mutual respect, just because someone works slower than someone else does not make it okay to take someone else's work. If it is, then we could enter dangerous territory considering we have vendors who could buy out a run of a set that an individual has in IC and is working hard to get to GB.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 12:58:21 »
This is looking really nice. Any chance for Arabic sub-legends kit to go with the theme?

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 13:18:31 »
ne colevrak? Sick set.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 19:17:08 »
This is cool.

Offline HAYAN

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 03:28:10 »
looks cool

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:44:11 »
I like this purple

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:23:38 »
For the record, the verb "gilded" is to "coat with gold leaf", whereas the noun "guild" is an organization of artisans. I assume this should be GMK Gilded and not GMK Guilded... right? Or is there some other meaning to the name.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline arrowM

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:51:35 »
For the record, the verb "gilded" is to "coat with gold leaf", whereas the noun "guild" is an organization of artisans. I assume this should be GMK Gilded and not GMK Guilded... right? Or is there some other meaning to the name.

I second this. It's not currently clear why this set would be called "Guilded" instead of "Gilded."

That being said, the set itself looks amazing! And the novelties are great.

Offline gMit

Re: [IC] GMK Gilded - Novelties Updated
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 20:53:10 »

I second this. It's not currently clear why this set would be called "Guilded" instead of "Gilded."

That being said, the set itself looks amazing! And the novelties are great.

Thank you for pointing that out - it seems like it was bothering a few people so i have updated the set name to Gilded.

Offline gMit

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 20:55:25 »
This is looking really nice. Any chance for Arabic sub-legends kit to go with the theme?

Definitely a consideration if their is enough in the initial GB

Offline gMit

Re: [IC] GMK Gilded - Novelties Updated
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 23:07:50 »
Deskmat options have been added. Please let me know your thoughts or any other options you'd like to see.

Offline lakeboredom

Re: [IC] GMK Gilded - Novelties Updated & Deskmat Ideas
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 00:31:00 »
:( why couldnt phantom come out like this purple. I like your color idea OP, definietely interested. Make the gold a little goldier tho. less brassy. Like 5% less brassy.

Offline gMit

Re: [IC] GMK Gilded (SETS FINALISED)
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 02:22:33 »
The kits have been finalised based on community feedback.
ISO caps have been moved to Numpad kit in order to a) keep the base kit price down and b) help meet MoQ for numpad kit.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 02:28:06 »

Let me say first and foremost, that I can see how these sets are different and this is in no way a condemnation of Guilded or gMit.

However, that is not a healthy attitude to have. If someone is working on an IC, it does not make it okay for someone else to swoop in on a colorway just because they may be faster than the original person.

This whole section of the hobby operates on levels of mutual respect, just because someone works slower than someone else does not make it okay to take someone else's work. If it is, then we could enter dangerous territory considering we have vendors who could buy out a run of a set that an individual has in IC and is working hard to get to GB.
Let's see when the ICs for the aforementioned sets started... Oh, 2016 and 2017... If it's not clear by now that nothing is going to come of them, I don't see why OP has to seek permission to run a set in a similar colorway as all it's doing is deprive the community of a set in that particular colorway.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 03:02:45 »
Deskmat is also nice.
It would be great to give more details.

Offline mta

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 03:03:33 »
Looking good!

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 03:40:14 »

I would have to disagree with you. Monopolizing over any particular color is probably the most non-sense thing I have ever heard. Novelties design and name selection are probably the only two areas where ownership and originality apply. If a vendor wants to upfront for a whole group buy, let it be. That territory you were talking about, I just couldn't see it...

Offline gMit

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 03:55:10 »
Deskmat is also nice.
It would be great to give more details.

What sort of details you after bud? I am in contacts with some people about production.

I would also like to thank everyone for the feedback and support so far.

Offline gMit

Re: [IC] GMK Gilded (SETS FINALISED & Extra Renders)
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 05:28:50 »
More renders have been added for your viewing pleasure.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 08:17:26 »
Just realized this kind of reminds me of Gryffindor colors, also the novelties haha. I dig it.

Offline gMit

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 19:16:46 »
If you are interested in this set and haven't already done so, please complete the IC form so i can gauge interest.