Author Topic: Need guidance for RGB Zealios  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Jgs5093

Need guidance for RGB Zealios
« on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 13:17:27 »
Hey all,

After reading the reviews, and rationalizing the addition of another board to my collection, I've joined the Zealios group buy.

I'm now considering what to drop these switches in to, and I've come to the end of my known options (and my google-fu has not yielded anything useful).

I know how many of you love your TKL boards, and I can appreciate that, but I have a strong preference for a full layout. That being said, I'm having some difficulty finding a full sized PCB that will support a 4pin RGB led. I've looked at NerD (GON) but their full sized board will not support those 4 pin LEDs.

At this point, I'm wondering if I should simply buy a corsair k70 RGB /ducky 5 and replace the switches, or is there some PCB/controller out there that I'm just ignorant to?

Any insight you guys can provide is much appreciated!

Thanks!
/jgs

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Need guidance for RGB Zealios
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 13:19:00 »
Hey all,

After reading the reviews, and rationalizing the addition of another board to my collection, I've joined the Zealios group buy.

I'm now considering what to drop these switches in to, and I've come to the end of my known options (and my google-fu has not yielded anything useful).

I know how many of you love your TKL boards, and I can appreciate that, but I have a strong preference for a full layout. That being said, I'm having some difficulty finding a full sized PCB that will support a 4pin RGB led. I've looked at NerD (GON) but their full sized board will not support those 4 pin LEDs.

At this point, I'm wondering if I should simply buy a corsair k70 RGB /ducky 5 and replace the switches, or is there some PCB/controller out there that I'm just ignorant to?

Any insight you guys can provide is much appreciated!

Thanks!
/jgs

These custom PCBs that support 4 pin LEDs aren't really available yet, as I can tell. Zeal has said that they will be developed and made at a later date.

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 13:20:53 »
The corsair and Ducky 5 are not using 4 pin LEDs, they are using SMD LEDs. So they will not work with Zealios. There are no boards that allow RGB with Zealios currently. Zeal is working with a PCB designer to get one made, but that's some time in the future.

edit:
I've been informed that Razer and Kailh do have 4 pin RGB switches. http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_7_9_Rosewill_RGB80_review/kailh.jpg
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2015, 14:54:06 by joey »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 14:54:13 »
The corsair and Ducky 5 are not using 4 pin LEDs, they are using SMD LEDs. So they will not work with Zealios. There are no boards that allow RGB with Zealios currently. Zeal is working with a PCB designer to get one made, but that's some time in the future.

edit:
I've been informed that Razer and Kailh do have 4 pin RGB switches. http://techreport.com/r.x/2014_7_9_Rosewill_RGB80_review/kailh.jpg

Outemu and Greetech have them too, if you need more options.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Jgs5093

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 18:31:15 »
Thanks for all the responses. So from what I'm hearing, if I want to use RGB LEDs with the Zealios, I need to wait for their custom PCB?

Edit:
Or I can drop in the Zealios switches to any RGB board that uses the switches mentioned above?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2015, 08:31:17 by Jgs5093 »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 06:26:36 »
So.... why do you need RGB again? ;)

You could try to put them into a Keycool 104 RGB. They use Kailh switches with 4-pin LEDs, so they should be a "drop-in" replacement.

Otherwise I'd wait and see what Zeal brings out. AFAIK, they're staring with a 60%, though, not sure there's enough market for a full size in the enthusiast community. TKL is the most used, then 60%.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Jgs5093

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 13:08:23 »
Need is such a.. strong word. I would just like to be able to take advantage of the available feature of the switch if I can.

Obviously if there's a market for it zeal will try to get the boards out quickly, but is there any guess to what kinda timeframe is likely?