Author Topic: Question About a Thick Brass Plate  (Read 1412 times)

Offline RudyTheThird

Question About a Thick Brass Plate
« on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 20:51:12 »
Hey Everybody,

I recently purchased a 4mm brass plate from iLumkb, and was wondering if I will need to make any modifications to ensure all the components work together. I've read a few things saying that a thicker brass plate, especially 4mm, might have issues with the switches and pcb.  Was planning on using a Tofu60 and DZ60 with Durock stabilizers and Tealios V2.  If you think there might be any problems, please let me know as I'd like to avoid ordering all the parts and have to figure out something doesn't work after arrival.  Appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

Rudy
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2021, 21:04:47 by RudyTheThird »

Offline Ranger_Trivette

Re: Question About a Thick Brass Plate
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 02:29:42 »
4mm? is a laser cutted plate? i don't think this will work  :(
mx switches are made for 1,5mm plate.
if you increase the thickness the switch won't properly "hook"

Offline shs0913

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 08:18:56 »
I haven't seen the picture with the back side right, but it looks like CNC machining, not laser cutting.

Brass is a material that is surprisingly difficult to process. Compatibility problems can arise with some microscopically oversized switches.

This is because thin end mills are not used to reduce manufacturing costs. Brass has a higher processing cost compared to aluminum.

For example, in gateron ink, etc. Of course I may be wrong because I haven't actually seen it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2021, 08:26:51 by shs0913 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 08:58:17 »
Looking at the price it's not even double their standard brass plate and it doesn't say it's machined which is a selling point so would surely be mentioned or pictured - to me it's a flat plate.  That means the switches won't clip in and you will have to make sure each one is firmly pressed in before soldering it to the PCB meaning the build will take longer than when using a standard plate.

A thick plate means no hotswap and PCB mounted stabilisers so your parts list looks good to me, assuming Tealios aren't known to be big (I'm out of touch with the endless switch options available today)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 12:49:20 »
4mm? is a laser cutted plate? i don't think this will work  :(
if you increase the thickness the switch won't properly "hook"

4mm does still work, but you do need to keep the switch in place while soldering. The max plate thickness you can use is 5mm.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 12:51:10 »
It only needs to be 1.5 mm where the clips are located so that MX switches will clip in.
It is hard to tell without an image of the bottom side on ilumkb's page but when I look carefully it looks to me like it is actually machined with dents in these areas so that switches should latch properly.
It apparently made for PCB-mounted stabilisers, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Switches could also be press-fitted with the snaps permanently pressed in ... but with tray mount (plate held up by switches) I would be afraid of it sliding down.

Personally, I would skip the plate altogether, but that's my preference.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 19:39:45 »
It's going to depend on the PCB used.
If anything is mounted on top, it will NOT work, as mentioned there is only about 1mm clearance and any SMD parts will reach that far, much less any through hole. Yes, most parts are on the bottom, but not always and not always everything.

Another consideration is your switches will not hold themselves in very well since there's no bottom edge for them to clip onto Yes, they need 1.5 or more, but there is actually a maximum as well as minimum thickness for that reason. Granted it doesn't do much for retaining switches once soldered but it;s much more impoertant if hot swap. There could be if it was machined, but there will NOT be if it is simply laser cut. Stabs will also be problematic with this if they're plate mount. You will require pcb mounted stabs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion