Author Topic: [IC] GMK Hinokoku  (Read 28928 times)

Offline GingGing

Re: [IC] GMK Fire Nation
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:42:17 »
Hello All,
Unfortunately, we have received a lot of feedback on our keycap set, a lot of it being negative. A lot of people share the thought that we have directly copied the colors from KAT Explosion. When designing the set, we had this issue and tried to differentiate the colors enough, but clearly you guys think it's still too similar. Additionally, many of you think that we are at odds with Rensuya for IC'ing this keycap set when his GMK Red Dragon set is in taking preorders at the same time. Personally, I think that our keycap sets are different enough that we don't compete with him, and I don't think that we will be taking away any business from him, and if we do that was not the intention. Finally, there has been some concern with Nickelodeon coming down on us for Copyright terms. As for that, we emailed their Copyright team a couple days ago before this IC was posted and they still haven't gotten back to us but we will continue to follow up. With all of this said, we are going to work on these issues and try our best to solve them, and thanks for the constructive criticism!

Offline 002_GT

• KR Boards OP
Re: [IC] GMK Fire Nation
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 17:44:04 »
For anyone reading this who might be thinking "wow I should make an IC as well!" please consider making (considerably) more than two posts on the forum, doing some research, and getting to know the culture before you just post an interest check for something you intend to make a commercial product...

Something something this looks very similar to GMK Red Samurai and a certain KAT keyset so that might affect your market size

this tbh ^

Offline beigeandbrown

Re: [IC] GMK Hinokoku
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 17:59:02 »
I'm normally the guy hating on people for guarding color ways and ideas. But this set isn't simple enough to get away from that attack. For example, I think white on blue is very broad, so blue space cadet and striker shouldn't really have any conflicts because of how incredibly encompassing that color way is. But this color way is so specific in the maroon alphas and dark maroon mods with the sort of golden rod yellow legends. It's alpha kit is so incredibly similar to gmk samurai (even down to sublegends), that this might as well just be a modifier add on kit. I think if you want to do something fire bending related you could do an inverse of the alphas to represent the sun warriors. You could do maroon and navy mods to represent the dragon masters. Or you could even do an azula based set that is blue with some sort of red to represent her fire.

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 18:12:31 »
 :blank:
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline zekth

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 18:33:03 »
Am i the only one noticing the 2 stepped caps lock?

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 19:16:21 »
Am i the only one noticing the 2 stepped caps lock?

Very important to have "Caps" and

"Caps
Lock"

Very important.

Offline GingGing

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 20:07:47 »
That was just a small error with the kitting, that our renderer has now corrected!

Offline Plopmk

• Plop Laboratories | Making atrocious keycap sets
    • plopmkd@gmail.com
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 22:51:09 »
Please whatever you do, do not change the colors. The set is similar to KAT Explosion at first glance but is different when you take a closer look. People need to understand that these are just renders, the final product is going to look completely different.
On another note, with all due respect to Rensuya, this is a way better fire nation set than GMK Redragon, and there are so many colors you can use to fit the theme he's going for.
I love this set and you should keep it, I'm putting this on my board.

« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:09:38 by Plopmk »

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 23:24:37 »
I like the look of the dragon deskmat a lot, but I agree that the kits need more work so that they stand apart from others. That being said, I don't think there have been any GMK kits with this exact colour palette, and I'm definitely onboard if the other issues are sorted out.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 23:33:04 »
gmk redder dragon

novelties lit tho i'll always simp for ulliam
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 23:39:54 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 00:30:09 »
People need to understand that these are just renders, the final product is are to look completely different.

Uhh
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 02:13:42 »
Please whatever you do, do not change the colors. The set is similar to KAT Explosion at first glance but is different when you take a closer look. People need to understand that these are just renders, the final product is are to look completely different.

What happened to making your final renders look as close to the product as humanly possible? (Assuming of course that the quality of the renders increases, which isn't out of the ordinary from the start to the end of an IC.) Simply saying that the final product will look different without any evidence to support that statement or replacement renders is highly concerning.

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 02:16:36 »
Please whatever you do, do not change the colors. The set is similar to KAT Explosion at first glance but is different when you take a closer look. People need to understand that these are just renders, the final product is are to look completely different.

How do I, or anyone else trust your ePBT RamenStop renders then?

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 02:30:49 »
That was just a small error with the kitting, that our renderer has now corrected!

Don't tell me render-man is back  :eek:

Offline Plopmk

• plopmkd@gmail.com
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 03:27:53 »

[/quote]

Nebulant color matches my sets.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 04:13:59 »

Nebulant color matches my sets.

matching physical colours to sample caps for an end product has nothing to do with the accuracy of your renders lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2020, 04:15:35 by ttom »
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline Plopmk

• plopmkd@gmail.com
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:08:13 »

matching physical colours to sample caps for an end product has nothing to do with the accuracy of your renders lol
[/quote]

I agree, but I also use physical colors and an srgb monitor to get an accurate representation of the final product. Also honestly I agree about this set looking like Kat Explosion, I'm just really salty about gmk red dragon.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 11:54:35 »
how can i trust a man who doesn't even know how to quote on GH properly
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Techlet

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 13:46:10 »
Isn't sRGB the bog standard for consumer monitors?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 16:08:45 »
Isn't sRGB the bog standard for consumer monitors?

Yes, but that's not particularly relevant to color-matching a physical product.  Even a well-calibrated monitor can't always accurately replicate the exact color of a physical object.

There are decent hexes provided by RAL and Pantone for doing a baseline simulation of the color, and that's what most designers should use as a starting point. Ultimately though, the renders should always be treated as simulations of the standards, not the standards themselves. Whenever possible, designers should be transparent about those standards during the GB process.

Offline Tika

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 18:30:38 »
This thread is getting boring, im changing the channel.
253267-0

Offline Owl

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 20:02:19 »
It's fine. This is not unlike the designers/artists who get inspired by waifus and copy/paste colors from their favorite show into a KLE. Which as long as that designer/artist gets to it first, the community goes nuts over it. Two different people can be inspired by the same thing and have their own interpretation, as we see here.

The colors, kitting, novelties, mats, ect are not exactly the same as anything else. They are close, sure, but close does not constitute an uproar.

People only talk about "respecting" intellectual property when it's a company that will actually care about it's use. I don't think I have ever seen anyone concerned about respecting IP in a weeb set. Did anyone reach out to Kadokawa Shoten or Madman Entertainment for KAT explosion? I have a lot of respect for Ren and have given them a LOT of my money lol, but it makes absolutely no sense to ask Ren for their blessing to use a color way that was adopted from an already existing IP.

And I don't know how you can think it's scummy to post this when Red Dragon is running. They are both based off of the same unoriginal idea. It's about as scummy as running Red Dragon while ATLA and Legend of Korra are still airing on Netflix lol.

Offline Psyoshi

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 22:58:54 »
It's fine. This is not unlike the designers/artists who get inspired by waifus and copy/paste colors from their favorite show into a KLE. Which as long as that designer/artist gets to it first, the community goes nuts over it. Two different people can be inspired by the same thing and have their own interpretation, as we see here.

The colors, kitting, novelties, mats, ect are not exactly the same as anything else. They are close, sure, but close does not constitute an uproar.

People only talk about "respecting" intellectual property when it's a company that will actually care about it's use. I don't think I have ever seen anyone concerned about respecting IP in a weeb set. Did anyone reach out to Kadokawa Shoten or Madman Entertainment for KAT explosion? I have a lot of respect for Ren and have given them a LOT of my money lol, but it makes absolutely no sense to ask Ren for their blessing to use a color way that was adopted from an already existing IP.

And I don't know how you can think it's scummy to post this when Red Dragon is running. They are both based off of the same unoriginal idea. It's about as scummy as running Red Dragon while ATLA and Legend of Korra are still airing on Netflix lol.

Japanese fan-art laws basically allow for anything that isn't in direct competition to a product in a market they sell. US copyright on the other hand is a far more tricky slope and even some characters/places/names/imagery can be copyrighted. With that said "Fire Nation" is a generic term and likely has no trade mark or copyright in place. I agree though with others it definitely feels inspired by Rensuya, and dropping the IC now when it could have waited 2 weeks or so for it to end preorder, potentially distracting prospective buyers. That can feel like a low blow especially when the similarities are there. Just in poor taste on timing and the colorway layout comparisons with Explosion is on the nose. With that said, it has potential to be good but maybe jumped the gun. Look forward to seeing the changes cause red dragon was not my cup of tea.

Offline SakuraPhoenix

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 09:45:17 »
I liek

Offline Ravenoxidal

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:37:59 »
Really don't understand the comment from some people lmao. Yes, it may be similar to KAT Explosion, but both of the sets are based on a different theme anyway. Definitely loving this a lot more than red dragon as well. Sure the timing of the IC may not be the greatest, but it doesn't really bother me, since I think this set is more suiting than red dragon anyway. If anyone were to go for this set over the other, it's only because this is the better set. Why pour money on a set which is only mediocre to you, when you can get a better set anyway.

Also, do people actually own certain clw now? Lmao.

Fan of avatar so would like to see how this one progresses! Good luck!

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:43:05 »
nice, GMK Explosion
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:46:42 by Hdjekso »

Offline donny_pete

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:23:13 »
It may just be me, but I feel like I keep seeing these three same colors being used in just different variations

Offline Tyson

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 00:18:22 »
Was looking on Keycaplender and noticed that this has a GB date of March 8th through April 8th. Is this actually running? There isn't any info on vendors?

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 11:55:18 »
Hello, in thread "GMK Beta" was published update of basic Latin/Hiragana GMK keycaps from Zambumon:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108290.msg3009840#msg3009840
Zambumon_GMK_Hiragana_Latin_RFC.pdf  https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108290.0;attach=261369

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 04:09:44 »
Was looking on Keycaplender and noticed that this has a GB date of March 8th through April 8th. Is this actually running? There isn't any info on vendors?

That date was from MyKeyboard's calendar. Clearly the runner has neglected to update the GH thread.

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 04:49:29 »
It’s very obvious something is wrong here. Particularly about not contacting rensuya. You may think your colours are “different enough” but thats coming from YOU. Clearly almost everyone else disagrees here. Ignoring all other points made, the clear lack of understanding towards how things work here is appalling to me.
Your account was registered since 8 May 2020 and you have only 4 posts till today. The comments from eski and Tyson have reinforced the fact that there is a inherent disregard and blatant disrespect for how anything works here. You can be as polite as you want in your responses, but your actions are speaking louder than your words right now.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:46:44 »
It’s very obvious something is wrong here. Particularly about not contacting rensuya. You may think your colours are “different enough” but thats coming from YOU. Clearly almost everyone else disagrees here. Ignoring all other points made, the clear lack of understanding towards how things work here is appalling to me.
Your account was registered since 8 May 2020 and you have only 4 posts till today. The comments from eski and Tyson have reinforced the fact that there is a inherent disregard and blatant disrespect for how anything works here. You can be as polite as you want in your responses, but your actions are speaking louder than your words right now.
I mean, I'd personally argue that the lack of updates from the designer is a far bigger issue than who "owns" the colours.

The designer's Reddit account hasn't posted anything about the set since October either, so not a good sign.

I'll get in contact with MyKeyboard and see if the GB is still set to go on the 8th.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 04:29:24 »
So apparently this set is in groupbuy now on Kono.store?

How is this possible with the recent IP issues with GMK and absolutely no update from the op whatsoever?

Tbh this is more than just a bit shady... :confused:

Offline dandruff

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 05:46:11 »
Well, this was out of nowhere... how did this happen?

Also, it is now being run by https://teeboards.co/pages/gmk-hinokoku? (courtesy of MLee from MechGroupBuys :-*)

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 07:41:37 »
Hello, in thread "GMK Beta" was published update of basic Latin/Hiragana GMK keycaps from Zambumon:
Zambumon_GMK_Hiragana_Latin_RFC.pdf  https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108290.0;attach=261369

Offline Tyson

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 08:54:31 »

You've posted this a few times bud, this sets already in GB, there's no way they are going to listen to you at this stage, I mean there really was no way they were going to listen to anyone in the first place. This set was bound to end up on Kono...

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:02:32 »
@GMK_Andy come on....What the hell is this and why is it moving forward in GB?  Y'all just posted about how sets with IP can't run any longer.  I could have missed it, but did the designer or Kono provide proof of permission to use these novelties?  They are litterallly traced from items in the show!!!  Was this set licenses?  Given the cost I doubt it.  Can GMK please please please confirm what guidelines are used to decide when a set can and can't run?  This set is super close to GMK Red Dragon, and damn near a copy of KAT Explosion.  It seems fine for you to run this, but Retrowave was cancelled at first because it was "similar to Laser"  If it really does just boil down to what sets will sell better, or what vendor has better lawyers, tell us.  We can at least give you points for transparency and move forward. 

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:04:45 »
@GMK_Andy come on....What the hell is this and why is it moving forward in GB?  Y'all just posted about how sets with IP can't run any longer.  I could have missed it, but did the designer or Kono provide proof of permission to use these novelties?  They are litterallly traced from items in the show!!!  Was this set licenses?  Given the cost I doubt it.  Can GMK please please please confirm what guidelines are used to decide when a set can and can't run?  This set is super close to GMK Red Dragon, and damn near a copy of KAT Explosion.  It seems fine for you to run this, but Retrowave was cancelled at first because it was "similar to Laser"  If it really does just boil down to what sets will sell better, or what vendor has better lawyers, tell us.  We can at least give you points for transparency and move forward.
^

Offline newbie

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 20:16:29 »
Lmao, not to pile on, but if you go to OP's profile it looks like they recently just commented on a bunch of random stuff on random threads today to pad their post count