Author Topic: Using Car Gasoline For Cleaning?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Using Car Gasoline For Cleaning?
« on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 06:41:18 »
I’ve always bought purpose made cleaning/washing gasoline (Waschbenzin) for cleaning and degreasing mechanical parts and machinery (mostly clocks, watches, and typewriters/adding machines). To be honest I don’t even know what the stuff is called in English.

Is there any difference in the gasoline used in cars, and the purpose made cleaning gasoline? Are there any additives in car gasoline? Is it less clean? I couldn't find anything about it.

For use in cleaning applications, it is very important that the gasoline evaporates quickly and without leaving any residue. Does car gasoline have these properties?

I know there are people here who know much more about cars then I do (nothing), so please chime in and let me know of you have any idea.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Using Car Gasoline For Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 07:50:40 »
I am no chemist (where are you, Chyrosan?) but I do know that in the US fuel has multiple additives for cleaning and lubrication as it passes through the engine.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 00:30:37 »
Drinking, cleaning, powering motors, repelling small children. There's nothing gasoline can't do!

Offline kizuna

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 07:26:37 »
I’ve always bought purpose made cleaning/washing gasoline (Waschbenzin) for cleaning and degreasing mechanical parts and machinery (mostly clocks, watches, and typewriters/adding machines). To be honest I don’t even know what the stuff is called in English.

Is there any difference in the gasoline used in cars, and the purpose made cleaning gasoline? Are there any additives in car gasoline? Is it less clean? I couldn't find anything about it.

For use in cleaning applications, it is very important that the gasoline evaporates quickly and without leaving any residue. Does car gasoline have these properties?

I know there are people here who know much more about cars then I do (nothing), so please chime in and let me know of you have any idea.

You can clean parts etc with regular gasoline but it is not smart or safe because the flashpoint is extremely low. If you are going to use gas to clean please don't smoke your cigarette while doing so. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 08:35:04 »

Drinking, cleaning, powering motors, repelling small children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Liza
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"