Author Topic: CM QFR with greens first impressions from a Buckling Springs lover  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Magnusian

Mine just arrived a few minutes ago, no branding on the spacebar or top of the keyboard, just on the back of it. After a few minutes of typing my fingers are starting to like what they feel. Definitely way snappier than my experience with other Cherry switches. So far I definitely think that greens were the best choice for someone used to typing on buckling springs.

This keyboard is freakin' tiny, though not as light as I thought it would be.

My only real complaint is that backspace squeaks when not hit hard and dead centre, looks like I'll be looking into seeing how to lube it up. Speaking of which, how do I pull oversized keys on this thing?
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline stingrae

Re: CM QFR with greens first impressions from a Buckling Springs lover
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 15:13:21 »
(play muted :|)

And yeah just a bit of lube and it wont squeak =)
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 19:26:29 »
If you want a little less Deadmau5 in your video, try this one  :p

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/videos

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 22:55:45 »
Thanks guys, a little bit of lube on the keycap posts for each stabilized key and she makes not a squeak, but a CLACKITY CLACK.

I find myself really liking this keyboard a lot so far.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline t2russo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:24:34 »
My QFR with greens just showed up too, and I'm quite pleased.  It's definitely a much heavier touch than on blues, so I think it will find its own place in my rotation.  I really like the design of this board, especially compared to my all branded blue.

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:36:51 »
I've found it to be a little lighter in touch than my Ms, but just barely so.

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:12:08 »
What lube is acceptable to use on cherry switches? Is there some special lubricant, or is WD40 fine? Some of my keys squeak as well.

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:21:38 »
I used my old standby for buckling spring lubrication, cheap olive oil.

This thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0 discusses different lubricants specifically for cherry switches.

Offline Phil21

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 04:01:08 »
Very tempted to pick one of these up... Maybe Diatec will release a Filco w/ them on it as a limited release sometime, or I guess I could perform a switch swap.. hmm.

Offline linkz

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 08:10:10 »
Mine just arrived a few minutes ago, no branding on the spacebar or top of the keyboard, just on the back of it. After a few minutes of typing my fingers are starting to like what they feel. Definitely way snappier than my experience with other Cherry switches. So far I definitely think that greens were the best choice for someone used to typing on buckling springs.

This keyboard is freakin' tiny, though not as light as I thought it would be.

My only real complaint is that backspace squeaks when not hit hard and dead centre, looks like I'll be looking into seeing how to lube it up. Speaking of which, how do I pull oversized keys on this thing?

Squeaking key is the most annoying thing if you're a gamer. I had a Razer keyboard that had a squeaking Shift button. Didn't even bother to remember its name, but that was the first keyboard they ever made, but still...