Author Topic: Saving an incomplete Tai-Hao double shot keycap set  (Read 4485 times)

Offline varszegimarcell

Saving an incomplete Tai-Hao double shot keycap set
« on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 12:39:15 »
Hi guys!

I have a set of Tai-Hao TI series doubleshot keycaps, but sadly, it is incomplete.

I got them through a hungarian hardware trading website, they came with a Tai-Hao TH-5539-8 PCB. I've already harvested the switches, (Tai-Hao APC white, clicky Alps clones) on day I will make a nice keyboard of them. Sadly, 10-20 of them were corroded like hell, it seemed like liquid damage to me, but it is an another stroy. (Althroug, the most - 80-90 pcs - of them are usable, and electronically intact.)

But I have troubles with the keycaps unfortunately.

Firstly, the PCB missed the key M completely, no switch, no keycap. Secondly, the keycap 'K' got stuck so badly somehow, and when I tried to pull it, the keycap stem just broke of.

My question is, is it possible somehow to get the missing/broken keycaps? I know, Tai-Hao still producing Alps mount keycap sets, but I hadn't found a set with the same color scheme, and I guess, the new ones are OEM profile, while my set surely not. (They look very similar to Alps profile, but the Function buttons are much taller.) I want to make complete my set authentichly, as much as possible. This set has an interesting, 4 colored legend, pretty similar to Focus keycaps, and it has a big-ass enter.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Saving an incomplete Tai-Hao double shot keycap set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:25:27 »
Tai Hao do still produce Alps-compatible keycaps AFAIK.

As far as getting a few to complete a set - probably not.

But Tai Hao keycaps are quite cheap - just buy a replacement set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:24:53 »
Tai Hao do still produce Alps-compatible keycaps AFAIK.

As far as getting a few to complete a set - probably not.

But Tai Hao keycaps are quite cheap - just buy a replacement set.

So, saving the oroginal set seems impossible, right?

What should I use the harvested set for? Should I save it as spare parts?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 22:02:49 »
You can certainly save it - doesn't take up much room, perhaps someone will have a similar set in the future that you can combine to make one full set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ