Author Topic: Why do my Cherry MX Blues bind so badly?  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Nerif

Why do my Cherry MX Blues bind so badly?
« on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 13:03:03 »
Hi everyone. recently I've decided to buy another Quickfire XT for no apparent reason. Now I have it on my table and I... feel that Cherry MX Blues in this particular keyboard bind as hell. However, the keyboard is usable and there's no trouble with keys registering, but I still feel utterly uncomfortable with this binding.

It doesn't matter anyways, considering that I'm planning to change the switches to something different, but I want to know two things:

1) What's causing that binding and what can I do about it?

2) Why some of the keys doesn't click properly but sound more like a loud tactile? I've had this before but I need to know what's making them sound less pronounced after a while. Is it stem being worn-off or leaf being pushed after usage? Cherry clickies have their leaf more angled afaik so I'm really curious if that is the reason.
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]

Offline Tactile

Re: Why do my Cherry MX Blues bind so badly?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 14:59:39 »
First try typing on the keyboard without keycaps & see if the binding goes away.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Nerif

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 17:56:26 »
First try typing on the keyboard without keycaps & see if the binding goes away.

I've tried it, it doesn't
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷

Offline Nerif

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 December 2022, 14:40:04 »
To be honest, I'm planning to change Cherry MX Blues with... Razer Greens. I've seen some man selling PCB from Blackwidow 2019 with Razer Greens for a dirt cheap price, and I guess it will be a good alternative to Cherry MX Blues considering that I really like clickjacket-based clicky switches. I've heard that keychattering problem with Razer Greens is actually lies in the awful PCB of the Blackwidow keyboards. Also I want to buy some springs for them considering that they are awful in stock Razer Greens.

Yeah, I know that I'm a pervert...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 01:33:54 »
Razer Greens are supposed to be made by either Kaihua (Kailh) or Greetech. Neither companies make particularly good click jacket MX clones, and the Greetechs I have in a switch tester are outstandingly terrible feeling.

Is there a particular reason you want Razer Greens besides the cost? Have you desoldered a whole board before? What other clickies have you tried?

I can't recall ever having any problems with binding with MX blue, and I typed pretty heavily on them for a number of years (I still have more MX blue boards than I know what to do with). Maybe there were some QC problems at the factory causing the switch legs to have too much pressure on them one direction or another?

Offline Nerif

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 12:51:18 »
I had Kailh Razer Greens before and in terms of keyfeel and sound i really liked them, but they had a severe keychattering trouble so I sold the keyboard (can't remember, I wasn't at the hobby this time). I've tried Greetech Razer Greens at some tech store and I really liked them actually. As I've mentioned before, my taste in keyboard switches is really strange so I actually like mechanical Razer switches.

I've had a Quickfire XT before and there was no key binding trouble at all. The XT on my hands is actually was soldered before on the spacebar so I guess someone's spilled a drink on the keyboard

Offline Nerif

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 January 2023, 12:53:51 »
Razer Greens are supposed to be made by either Kaihua (Kailh) or Greetech. Neither companies make particularly good click jacket MX clones, and the Greetechs I have in a switch tester are outstandingly terrible feeling.

Is there a particular reason you want Razer Greens besides the cost? Have you desoldered a whole board before? What other clickies have you tried?

I can't recall ever having any problems with binding with MX blue, and I typed pretty heavily on them for a number of years (I still have more MX blue boards than I know what to do with). Maybe there were some QC problems at the factory causing the switch legs to have too much pressure on them one direction or another?

The only non-clickjacket switch I've ever tried was the Kailh BOX. I don't like them at all, and the reason is that the click doesn't match with the actuation. And the worst thing for me is, the situation is different from switch to switch, so, for example, "A" key can actuate before the click and the "W" key can actuate after the click.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 13:47:46 »
nerif, just checking you don't smoke do you ?

I do acutally

Offline Nerif

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 13:48:20 »
actually*

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 15:42:27 »

Are you thinking he's filled the housings up with that sticky smoker's slime that accumulates inside electronics?

Offline aloneYU

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 15:53:40 »
RD greens is made by a China Brand.
IF U want know that. Just watch the switch bottom.
Not Kh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 23:21:08 »
actually*

Smoke can make keyboards bind, this happened alot back in the day. maybe vape too, but I'm not sure on that.

The reason this comes up is because mx blue has an internal double slider, it's extremely loose so for that to bind, there has to be some substance going into the cavity.  if it's not soda, it's smoke usually. similarly can happen with greasy stove evaporation if used near the kitchen.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 January 2023, 23:22:48 »

Are you thinking he's filled the housings up with that sticky smoker's slime that accumulates inside electronics?

I did not mention it to be disparaging. /DetectiveP4

Offline Nerif

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 06:03:08 »

Firstly, I've bought this keyboard second-hand
Secondly, I don't smoke at my PC.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 05:44:41 »
breaking news if someone's interested. the guy who was selling razer greens ignored me, but I managed to buy a Blackwidow 2016 with Greetech Razer Oranges. My God, they are so nice to type on. Going to use Razer Orange stems with Gateron KS-3 Black housings and springs.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 15:20:13 »

it's kind of like cooking grease, unless you fully vent to the outside there's a cloud of black sticky stuff that gums up things like computer fans, and keyboards.

Offline Nerif

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 17:40:36 »

it's kind of like cooking grease, unless you fully vent to the outside there's a cloud of black sticky stuff that gums up things like computer fans, and keyboards.

whatever, im going to replace the switches from cherry blues to some frankenswitches

Offline Nerif

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 17:44:53 »
actually*

Smoke can make keyboards bind, this happened alot back in the day. maybe vape too, but I'm not sure on that.

The reason this comes up is because mx blue has an internal double slider, it's extremely loose so for that to bind, there has to be some substance going into the cavity.  if it's not soda, it's smoke usually. similarly can happen with greasy stove evaporation if used near the kitchen.

i actually vape at my laptop, but it doesn't make such troubles as smoke can (ive dissassembled my laptop a while ago), same with keyboards, my daily driver (anne pro 2) has zero issues with this for half a year of daily usage

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 20:28:16 »
Have you been using lubed switches and gone back to stock lubed blues?
That could play a part.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Nerif

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 08:45:22 »
That could play a part.

These blues (as well as the entire keyboard) are completely stock

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 11:57:23 »
That could play a part.

Yes,  but are your other boards stock?

Lubed switches have far less bind and friction in general and if you use lubed and go back to non-lubed it can make the non-lubed feel faulty. This is especially true if you went up in spring rates at the same time.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Nerif

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 04:22:59 »
That could play a part.

Yes,  but are your other boards stock?

Lubed switches have far less bind and friction in general and if you use lubed and go back to non-lubed it can make the non-lubed feel faulty. This is especially true if you went up in spring rates at the same time.

These blues don't feel bindy, they are actually binding. So if I press some faulty keys, for example, Control, It will get stuck for a second and then pop back up

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 13:01:03 »
Even decent factory lube can have this issue, just it's so light most people don't notice which is why I questioned about using lubed before.

These however sound faulty, like they were improperly lubed.
Haven't heard of that being an issue with Cherry but I had it happen on Kailh.

While I hate to recommend it (it's semi safe on new boards but very bad on old ones), you can try cramming a bit of lube down around the stems. This should eliminate the bind.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 31 January 2023, 20:06:40 »
To be honest, I'm planning to change Cherry MX Blues with... Razer Greens. I've seen some man selling PCB from Blackwidow 2019 with Razer Greens for a dirt cheap price, and I guess it will be a good alternative to Cherry MX Blues considering that I really like clickjacket-based clicky switches. I've heard that keychattering problem with Razer Greens is actually lies in the awful PCB of the Blackwidow keyboards. Also I want to buy some springs for them considering that they are awful in stock Razer Greens.

Yeah, I know that I'm a pervert...

good choice, razer greens are my preferred clicky, i think the clickbar in my current g pro is not enough click for me when i type, but maybe because i type heavy, lol.