Author Topic: Can any Model M experts out there tell me what keyboard I just bought?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline funkmon

Okay, it's got a straight metal 240 degree din plug, terminal layout with F13-24 sublegends, small feet, and the square badge. Through my method of lowballing every single Model M I don't have in my collection on eBay, I picked this thing up for a steal, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. I assume a standard soarer's converter will work, BUT I would like to know if you guys know when this was made, for what, if it's a 0th gen or 1st gen, what it was for, etc.

I've posted on deskthority and reddit, I'll update this with a part number if we decide on one so future googlers will find this info.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:30:12 by funkmon »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Very early.  Terminal. 1383603/4.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline funkmon

That's what I was thinking initially, but those don't have a straight metal DIN plug, do they?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
It’s one of the good ones. Very well built. I had one once but I can’t remember how to get it to talk to my PC. Pretty sure you need an active converter.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
That's what I was thinking initially, but those don't have a straight metal DIN plug, do they?

Not the first time I've seen a plug on a board it's supposedly not supposed to be on.   I know I've seen that particular one before but can't pin down the exact hardware config.

It's always possible it was a replacement plug.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline funkmon

Deskthority seems to think it's this, the 1390305. Do we concur? https://www.recycledgoods.com/ibm-1390305-terminal-keyboard/

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Deskthority seems to think it's this, the 1390305. Do we concur? https://www.recycledgoods.com/ibm-1390305-terminal-keyboard/

Looks like a match to me. 

Offline Maledicted

This suggests that the protocol is probably AT.

IBM apparently used the 240 degree connector for some terminals instead of the more common RJ45. I could have sworn I had seen a thread about it in regards to those terminal Model Fs once.