Author Topic: a bunch of questions about my "ideal" ergodox  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Yuuki

a bunch of questions about my "ideal" ergodox
« on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 13:50:24 »
Hello,

I'm on quest to buy/build an ergodox or variant and I have a bunch of questions about features I want

1/ wireless, does it exist ? Is it easily doable ?
2/ Is there a kit that only come with diodes and resistors already soldered, but not switches/LED ?
3/ Is there a kit with mounting plates ?
4/ Can I use my cherry profile keycaps on it ?
5/ tenting kit (like for the EZ) with a reasonable angle <- this one is mandatory
6/ All the parts available in EU if possible
7/ I wont ask for a premium anodized case, but something not too cheap (not the default acrylic...) would be great
8/ Is there an issue with the tenting kit feets where it can slide on the desk ? Is the keyboard rock solid stable on the desk ?

So this is it for now... I'm pretty sure I will come up with others questions so bear with me

Thank you and best regards

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: a bunch of questions about my "ideal" ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:10:51 »
Parts from FalbaTech, partial assembly.

You'll have to solve tenting by yourself; there are multiple options, including 3d-printed or home-cut wedges or Kinesis V3 stands. Longer screws/standoffs are limited to litster's case design though.

Wireless isn't an option yet. Might be in the future. Or a different keyboard (Mitosis GB is running currently).

Offline Phenix

Re: a bunch of questions about my &quot;ideal&quot; ergodox
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:52:15 »
re wireless: check out the mitosis on reddit. i love the design and cant wait for my kit..
Winter is coming.

Offline Yuuki

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:35:06 »
yes I saw it, but its not 80keys isn't it ? and also no tenting

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 15:48:44 »
What are you responding to?

ErgoDox PCBs support both 76 and 80 keys. FalbaTech sells plates for both options and their plateless PVC cases can be used without a plate anyway.

Mitosis layout is weird. Basically sub-40% (without extra pinkie column) + lots of thumb keys.

You can tent anything.

Offline Yuuki

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 04:23:29 »
What are you responding to?

ErgoDox PCBs support both 76 and 80 keys. FalbaTech sells plates for both options and their plateless PVC cases can be used without a plate anyway.

Mitosis layout is weird. Basically sub-40% (without extra pinkie column) + lots of thumb keys.

You can tent anything.

Sorry I was answering about the mitosis.

I checked Falbatech stuff and it seems indeed a good solution.
Can you show me a thread about a custom tenting mod and how it's made ?
Also, Does the ergodox pcb support LED backlighting ? On Falbatech, I don't see resistors so I'm inclined to think it's not the case.

An Other solution could be the EZ dox, and unsoldering the stock gateron switches to put mine. Still no backlight, but no need for a "tenting" mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 04:54:22 »
The Infinity ErgoDox has a metal plate and support for backlighting and I think it has been sold without switches.
It is sold in group buys on Massdrop.
Drawbacks: Not wireless, not firmware- or parts-compatible with original ErgoDox (other than the keycaps), intercontinental shipping and Massdrop is infamous for having been bad at filling out the correct amount on the customs form.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 05:05:50 »
Can you show me a thread about a custom tenting mod and how it's made ?
Honestly, just ask Google Images about 'ergodox tenting'.

I've just done that, and it's returned some interesting results that I haven't seen before. For example, this 3d-printed adjustable stand or this cheap non-adjustable tablet stand.

Then there are classics like the official stands for Kinesis Freestyle, Matt Adereth's 3d-printed wedges (or any wedges, that you can cut from foam, wood or anything else), longer screws/standoffs, docks etc.

Also, Does the ergodox pcb support LED backlighting ? On Falbatech, I don't see resistors so I'm inclined to think it's not the case.
Only Infinity and EZ Shine support backlight. And one prototype PCB that you'd need to get custom made.

An Other solution could be the EZ dox (…) but no need for a "tenting" mod
Keep in mind that the tenting is very limited, and I have certain doubts about longer-term flimsiness of that construction—compared to aforementioned solutions..