Author Topic: Unboxing Steelseries 7G shots  (Read 5325 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Unboxing Steelseries 7G shots
« on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 12:54:35 »
Not mine, and I don't expect a lot of oohs and aahs around here, just posting for general interest.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-steelseries-ikari-mouse-and-new-7g-gaming-keyboard/
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 13:08:02 »
Maybe no oohs and ahhs, but I am interested in it, and we have to admit that it is a good looking keyboard. If it didn't have the Alps-style return key and if it was offered with other Cherry switches (we all know it has Cherry blacks), I'd buy one.

But then again, the design is a copycat of the Filco I am using at the moment, and I am not a hardcore / Karlito level gamer, so I don't think it has anything over the Filco Vastouch for me except extra connectivity. Plus, it has a larger footprint than the Filco and costs $10 or $15 less,

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 13:46:38 »
what switches this use?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 14:13:27 »
Cherry linear black stem.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 18:22:45 »
It wouldn't cost less than a Filco for me.  Retails at $180 in the UK not including postage.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 19:09:59 »
I meant more, my bad.

Offline dirtystylus

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 22:19:50 »
New to these forums –*found my way here after searching for good mechanical keyboard options. I just had to chime in and say that I ordered this keyboard last week and actually received it last Friday. I sent it back that same day because of the SteelSeries "function" key that sits where the left-hand Alt/Option key is normally located (I had thought they just replaced the standard Windows key symbol with their own branding, but it's actually a different key). At any rate, On OS X there's no way to remap that key (it behaves as a dead key). People who use the right-hand side modifier keys probably won't care, but for me it was a deal-breaker.

That SteelSeries key issue aside, the keys feel pretty good (I believe they're the black-stem Cherry mechanical switches). The palm rest felt a little shoddy compared to the keyboard, and I didn't really like the fact that I had to use up two USB ports if I wanted to use the USB ports on the keyboard. The feel and build quality felt good enough that I probably would've kept it were it not for the aforementioned issue.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 22:45:41 »
Good to know. That would have been a deal breaker for me as well.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 10:40:20 »
No left ALT, really?  That would make it useless for anyone using CAD software or Photoshop shortcuts.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 14:34:46 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;4432
No left ALT, really?  That would make it useless for anyone using CAD software or Photoshop shortcuts.

Uhm....  I think he/she means that there is no "option" key which is on the apple computers. It has a left hand side alt key.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 14:41:13 »
My Filco reads the left Alt as Command in Leopard out of the box, so Ulysses31 is right. Without that key, Adobe apps would suffer significantly. I know this because I work in publishing in the design department: I am only on Mac OS's at work and home, so I guess you could call me an expert.

The key could be remapped, but it would never be natural. I swapped my Windows and Alt keys so they work the same as an Apple keyboard (I even swapped the keycaps).

Offline dirtystylus

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 15:38:23 »
Quote from: Korbin;4441
Uhm....  I think he/she means that there is no "option" key which is on the apple computers. It has a left hand side alt key.

That's correct – under OS X I swapped the Alt and Command keys, but the SteelSeries function/modifier key can't be remapped to behave like the Option key –*it's behaves as a dead key, only working in conjunction with the media buttons mapped to the F1-F4 keys. So if you want to use combinations using the Option key, you need to use the right-side Alt key.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 16:49:38 »
Quote from: dirtystylus;4443
That's correct – under OS X I swapped the Alt and Command keys, but the SteelSeries function/modifier key can't be remapped to behave like the Option key –*it's behaves as a dead key, only working in conjunction with the media buttons mapped to the F1-F4 keys. So if you want to use combinations using the Option key, you need to use the right-side Alt key.

Ah, I see. Interesting.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 12:13:48 »
Now that the steelkeys 7G is finally out, I found a good deal off ebay.co.uk and won a 6G for £36 including delivery ($70 or 45euros). Hopefully it isn't too worn, and it has 8 n key rollover when using ps/2 so it will be my main gaming keyboard, also get lots of free keycaps which i can spread to my blue stem grey keyboard
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Korbin

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 May 2008, 20:25:06 »
Quote from: Eclairz;4574
Now that the steelkeys 7G is finally out, I found a good deal off ebay.co.uk and won a 6G for £36 including delivery ($70 or 45euros). Hopefully it isn't too worn, and it has 8 n key rollover when using ps/2 so it will be my main gaming keyboard, also get lots of free keycaps which i can spread to my blue stem grey keyboard

Which blue stemmed keyboard do you have?

EDIT: Oh wait... I see you posted that in another thread (British Layout Cherry G80-3000 LSCGB)

Offline iqmore

• http://iqmore.tw
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 May 2008, 23:40:36 »
It's no left windows key

it's media key, can control music sofeware with F1~F6

more pics in my blog

but sorry all used in Chines :p

http://www.iqmore.idv.tw/archives/152