Author Topic: Wyse keyboards?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Donut

Wyse keyboards?
« on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 20:19:12 »
Hi,

One of the comments on this page mentions Wyse keyboards:
"If you like the old Soviet Era layout and feel, but want USB and availability:
Take a look at the keyboard that come bundles with the Wyse winterm 1200's:
Micro switch keys, solid feel, proper layout, and a built in PS2 port to stick a mouse in."

Has anyone used a Wyse Winterm keyboard? Are they mechanical? Rebadged/rebranded from another manufacturer?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 21:22:51 »
We make heavy use of the PgUp, PgDn, Home, End, Ins, Del key cluster
Must be a "new age" of coders.  :)

Offline jemkeys

Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 21:27:11 »
Wow, that Deck keyboard looks awesome.  Prolly rubber membrane... but man does it look cool ;).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 21:48:19 »
Cherry blacks, actually.

Offline jemkeys

Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 22:18:19 »
OH!  Then I might just have to get one... only $100 for the red one ;).

I've never had a microswitch keyboard yet.  Using a model M, rubber membrane pos', and this HHKpro2.

Offline Mikecase00

• http://www.mikecase.net
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 May 2008, 10:38:27 »
Quote from: iMav;4449
Must be a "new age" of coders.  :)

I use the INS/DEL/Home/End/Pg Up/Pg Down keys all the time when I'm coding and I refuse to consider using any keyboard that has these in a non-standard layout or is missing them entirely.  This is the #1 biggest reason I hate laptop boards.  Along with the arrow keys (another commonly mangled key block), I can page through a document, and quickly select and edit segments, lines, or blocks of code.  WAY faster than using a mouse, that's for sure.
IBM Model M 1391401 (dyed black) w/ keys from M-13
IBM M-13 Trackpoint (naturally black)
IBM Model M 1392934 SpaceSaver
Several plain IBM 1391401 Ms
Epson Equity Q203A
http://www.mikecase.net

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 May 2008, 12:09:16 »
I think iMav was being facetious.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 May 2008, 12:29:00 »
Quote from: xsphat;4468
I think iMav was being facetious.

I use vi pretty much exclusively when I code.  Granted, my coding is typically limited to various scripting languages.  

My overall computing experience wouldn't be impacted at all if I didn't have access to PgUp, PgDown, Home, and End keys.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 May 2008, 13:01:33 »
They don't do much in Word '08 Mac, so I never use them at all either. I thought maybe I missed a coder joke.

Offline sashomasho

Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 May 2008, 03:39:02 »
Quote from: iMav;4470
I use vi pretty much exclusively when I code.  Granted, my coding is typically limited to various scripting languages.  

My overall computing experience wouldn't be impacted at all if I didn't have access to PgUp, PgDown, Home, and End keys.

I also use vim for almost everything, and I had some thoughts before buying the hhkb pro (because I use the PgUp/PgDn and Home/End frequently), but for less than a week I saw that the hhkb pro layout is really ok, even these keys were feeling at the right place... i think that we can adapt to anything, as long as it makes sense for us, and it doesn't cost an arm or leg, which by the way the hhkb pro sorta does :)

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Wyse keyboards?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 04:08:02 »
Quote from: Mikecase00;4465
I use the INS/DEL/Home/End/Pg Up/Pg Down keys all the time when I'm coding and I refuse to consider using any keyboard that has these in a non-standard layout or is missing them entirely.  This is the #1 biggest reason I hate laptop boards.  Along with the arrow keys (another commonly mangled key block), I can page through a document, and quickly select and edit segments, lines, or blocks of code.  WAY faster than using a mouse, that's for sure.

i preached the same thing until i found out about autohotkey.com then i made it so i no longer even have to move my hand to hit up, down, left, right, pg up, pg down, end, home.