Author Topic: PS/2 to USB converter problem with international keyboards?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Donut

PS/2 to USB converter problem with international keyboards?
« on: Mon, 29 September 2008, 17:05:08 »
Hi,

I just bought a cheap PS/2 to USB converter on eBay, like this one.

I was pleasantly surprised that it seems to work fine with an IBM Model M keyboard, but there is a problem with the "extra" key on non-US keyboards. [For example, on UK keyboards the extra key is between left shift and Z, and types \ and |.]

The extra key is not recognised by the converter. Has anyone found that other PS/2 to USB converters have the same problem?

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 September 2008, 05:43:39 »
Quote from: Donut;9194
Hi,

I just bought a cheap PS/2 to USB converter on eBay, like this one.

I was pleasantly surprised that it seems to work fine with an IBM Model M keyboard, but there is a problem with the "extra" key on non-US keyboards. [For example, on UK keyboards the extra key is between left shift and Z, and types \ and |.]

The extra key is not recognised by the converter. Has anyone found that other PS/2 to USB converters have the same problem?

I've got a similar one that I constantly use with euro-layout keyboards with no problems at all - all the keys are recognized correctly.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2008, 16:16:15 »
I have a Belkin one that works fine with my UK-layout Unicomp. With some of the cheaper adaptors its hit and miss. Some work properly, others don't. I'd try a Belkin one, or the Bytecc BT-2000 which was recommended by the guy at Unicomp.