Author Topic: Old Compaq Enhanced II and III keyboard?  (Read 10376 times)

Offline skriefal

Old Compaq Enhanced II and III keyboard?
« on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 19:07:45 »
Anyone know what type of keyswitch is used in the old Compaq Enhanced II and Enhanced III keyboards from the late 80s to mid 90s?  If not known, perhaps I'll "take the hit" and pick up one of each to answer this question for everyone. :)

Offline alpslover

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 19:56:32 »
the i and the ii used keytronic capacitive switches which feel like crap (from memory...it's been a long time).  not sure about the iii.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 22:36:06 »
Capacitive, eh?  I've wanted to try one of those.  Perhaps this will be a cheap way to do so.  If I don't like it, well... can always "re-eBay" it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 November 2008, 22:47:31 »
Quote from: skriefal;10109
Capacitive, eh? I've wanted to try one of those. Perhaps this will be a cheap way to do so. If I don't like it, well... can always "re-eBay" it.

if you do try them, be sure to write a review...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline alpslover

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 November 2008, 07:46:32 »
Quote from: skriefal;10109
Capacitive, eh?  I've wanted to try one of those.  Perhaps this will be a cheap way to do so.  If I don't like it, well... can always "re-eBay" it.

there's nothing particularly special about capacitive keyboards.  i've never used one that impressed me.

but if you really want to sink your teeth into older capactives, also keep an eye out for keytronic kb-101's and btc 5339's.  the compaqs i believe are just branded keytronics.  i have a btc 5339 and it is one of the worst feeling keyboards i have ever used.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 November 2008, 22:32:50 »
Quote from: wellington1869;10110
if you do try them, be sure to write a review...

I bought an Enhanced II off eBay, and will respond back with my thoughts after it gets here.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 November 2008, 17:26:49 »
The Enhanced II arrived a couple days back, and I can verify what alpslover stated above.  This keyboard is nothing to be excited about.  There's a bit more of a dull thunk when hitting the keys than what I've encountered with most membrane boards (that might simply be due to the casing), but otherwise it feels like a stiff membrane board.

On the same topic, can anyone tell me more precisely what this page (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hi-ho.ne.jp%2Fvine%2Fkeyboard%2Fenhanced2%2Findex.htm&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate) is attempting to state about the Enhanced II & III models?

There's a picture of two keyswitches and some keycaps towards the bottom of the page.  The switches on my Enhanced II look exactly like those in the rightmost photo -- like a black rubber dome.  I think the site is stating that the rightmost photo is the capacitive switch, but it's difficult to be certain due to the poor translation.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 November 2008, 20:00:48 »
Quote from: skriefal;10576

There's a picture of two keyswitches and some keycaps towards the bottom of the page.  The switches on my Enhanced II look exactly like those in the rightmost photo -- like a black rubber dome.  I think the site is stating that the rightmost photo is the capacitive switch, but it's difficult to be certain due to the poor translation.

it seems like they're saying there are two versions of the enhanced ii (i didn't know this, but am not surprised), one with capacitive switches and one with rubber dome membrane switches.  the white switches on the left are capacitives, which also happen to use white rubber domes (seen in the pictures just below the pictures of the switches) as springs.

so it appears that you have the rubber dome membrane switch version of the enhanced ii keyboard.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 November 2008, 21:46:57 »
I guess that explains why it feels like a rubber dome board.  I do have an early 90s Keytronic board with switches that look exactly like the white switches on the left.  It's styled after the old XT keyboard, but with a plastic case.  Never used, $1.99 @ thrift store. :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 07:43:31 »
Note that with capacitive 'boards, the capacitive switch has absolutely nothing to do with the feel of the key press.  What makes the Topre implementation so nice is the conical spring and rubber dome (spring condom) combination.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 November 2008, 08:03:20 »
Note that with capacitive 'boards, the capacitive switch has absolutely nothing to do with the feel of the key press.
Capacitive rubber domes are missing the second phase of a regular rubber dome where the little button presses on the membrane and the dome itself is being pressed together. So after the snap you have almost linear force/travel until the keycap bottoms out.

Those old capacitive rubber domes probably feel too snappy and strong for our tastes because the dome needs a certain strength to push the keycap up again, after it has been pressed a considerable amount beyond the snap point. The little button mentioned above is not there and thus won't help. Topre solved and perfected this.

Scissor 'boards take another approach by cutting the travel just after the dome snap. With the disadvantage of forcing bottom outs all the time.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today