Author Topic: Quiet keyboard w/ good tactile response  (Read 9035 times)

Offline L337R3dn3k

Quiet keyboard w/ good tactile response
« on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 19:47:40 »
Hey all,
Been browsing here for awhile, but first actual post. I learned to type on an IBM M2 and never quite got over the tactile feedback of a good spring buckle keyboard :D

Now, I'm looking to replace some keyboards at work (including mine and my boss's). I'm a lucky man -- the boss has told me to go spec something out and send him a link. There are a few requirements, though:

- Fairly cheap. Under $50 would be best, but I could justify a little more.
 - Standard US layout
 - USB. Having no PS/2 ports is part of why we're buying keyboards (yeah, I know, we *could* buy an adapter ... but they're mushy Dell boards)
 - Quiet. It doesn't have to be silent, but it is an office and I don't think I can get by with spring buckle or loud mechanical boards.

If anyone remembers the Compaq multimedia keyboards from the mid to late 90's, I remember them having a fairly snappy feel for a dome top ... is anything like that still made?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 20:22:08 »
Welcome to the boards!  To clarify what you're asking -- you're looking for a rubber dome keyboard with good tactile response?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 21:11:37 »
A brown Cherry switch might be a good choice for you.

Although that might push your budget a bit. . .

Offline L337R3dn3k

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 21:15:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;10476
Welcome to the boards!  To clarify what you're asking -- you're looking for a rubber dome keyboard with good tactile response?

My dream keyboard would have the tactile response of a spring buckle keyboard without the audible feedback, but since I'm pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist ... yes, could anyone recommend a snappy rubber dome?

Oh, and not Logitech ... they're not stiff enough and tend to bend when I type :P

Offline L337R3dn3k

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 21:16:33 »
Quote from: iMav;10478
A brown Cherry switch might be a good choice for you.

Although that might push your budget a bit. . .

Hmm, what standard-layout keyboards have brown Cherry switches? I thought they were only used in ergo-boards.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 21:43:20 »
Quote from: L337R3dn3k;10480
Hmm, what standard-layout keyboards have brown Cherry switches? I thought they were only used in ergo-boards.

You might want to take a look at the Filco Majestouch.  They're USB, but they start at at least $100
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 November 2008, 21:47:40 »
Quote from: L337R3dn3k;10480

search the forum for "tenkeyless" (filco, but way over your budget of $50). also dsi's modular mac comes in choice of brown or blue cherries but again way over your budget.  I dont think there are any mechanical noiseless boards for around $50. (scorpius M10 comes with clicky blue cherries for about $50 but you want silent keys).

As far as decent tactile membrane boards, I'm not sure. In the past I've owned and liked the kensington ci73 (super-low profile but that may not be for everyone), the saitek eclipse II, and the microsoft digital media pro keyboard.  All are membrane keyboards under $50 and for each one I liked the key feel (ie, so long as we're not comparing them to mechanicals).  In these cases the membrane boards gave decent feedback because of the way the keys bottomed out (which is pretty much the only way you'll get feedback from a membrane board since there's no bump or click). The kensington was shallow depth but crisp because of that, the eclipse was medium depth but light resistance and so decent feedback if you bottom out the keys, and the MS had the deepest keys and because of that felt luxurious for a membrane.

I myself started out on buckling springs when I was a kid, and yes they're too loud and I cant use them anymore either. For a long time I had membrane boards, and only recently came back to mechanicals (I'm trying to decide between the browns which are relatively silent and the blues which have a low click (not nearly as loud as buckling springs). Both are superior in feel and feedback to any membrane keyswitch of course, as far as I can see. So I'm in the process of moving back to mechanicals but trying to do it with a keyswitch i can live with. But I do expect to pay about $100 for such a keyboard.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline alpslover

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 00:33:39 »
cherry cymotions seem to get pretty good reviews.  keytronics are also pretty decent, just be aware that some of them have weighted keys (they call it 'ergo technology').  some dell rubber dome keyboards are actually quite nice, not sure if you can buy them separately though.

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 01:51:23 »
The Topre capacitive switch is another good option, but again, that even gets more ridiculous in price considering your budget.  (I figured xsphat would've recommended that by now)  ;)

This is the switch used in the HHKB Pro keyboards, but is also found in more standard layouts like the Topre Realforce (see xsphat's review of the 86U in the review section).

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 05:04:08 »
Cherry G80-3000LQCEU has Cherry browns and ISO layout. It's not available in black AFAIK. Browns are not that snappy though.

Or get an old Dell/SGI AT101 from ebay. The Dells are also available in black. Again, not that snappy.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 06:16:07 »
old Dell/SGI AT101 from ebay
seconding this for your price range, if you dont mind used boards. black alps wouldnt be bad for a board under 50 bucks. I've seen these on ebay for 20 each.

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 07:40:59 »
Bottom line, good tactile, non-clicky keyboards are going to cost you.  You are looking at either a Cherry brown or a Topre switch (IMHO).

Offline L337R3dn3k

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 13:50:52 »
Thanks for the recommendations, all. I will see if I can get him to cough up the money for a good brown cherry keyboard, and if not ... I've definitely seen an AT101 in the networking room that no one ever uses. The number of times I've walked by the thing and always assumed it was a worn-out dome cap ... hrm ... time for a trade =D

Offline Bodibo

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 November 2008, 13:58:06 »
Quote from: L337R3dn3k;10508
Thanks for the recommendations, all. I will see if I can get him to cough up the money for a good brown cherry keyboard, and if not ... I've definitely seen an AT101 in the networking room that no one ever uses. The number of times I've walked by the thing and always assumed it was a worn-out dome cap ... hrm ... time for a trade =D

You can get a used Compaq MX 11800, with Cherry browns, for dirt cheap. I got two of those bad boys (one for cannabilising and the other to use) for £30 inc. P&P.

I didn't find the switches very tactile though; I prefer my Cherry blues with their click and all. However, they are nice to typo on and a cheap way to get a Cherry brown board.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 November 2008, 07:46:18 »
they are nice to typo on

Soudns liek teh way I typo, er, type. :(

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 November 2008, 19:32:02 »
That price constraint makes things tricky...

Rubber dome isn't going to quite give you that tactility, although I've heard the IBM/Unicomp rubber domes are quite tactile.

You might try straight-up Cherry blues. Depends on how noisy your current rubber dome boards are - and some are quite noisy, from the sound of keys bottoming out, and parts of the keyboard rattling.

The Scorpius M10 is about $59 or so, IIRC.

And, you can try Cherry blues out in a brick and mortar if you have a Micro Center near you (I'm assuming you don't live in NYC, or J&R Music and Computer World would be the other option.) The Das Keyboard is available there. (It's not a recommendation, it's just something that you can try that has Cherry blues.)