Author Topic: PSA: Mechanical keyboards work with iPads!  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Jixr

PSA: Mechanical keyboards work with iPads!
« on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 13:51:44 »
Hey guys, I just picked up a new iPad Air, and was currious to see if a lightning to USB camera kit adapter would let me use a mechanical keyboard. I've seen people connect regular keyboards, but could not find any info about mechanical keyboards.

Tested out my Quickfire XT and it works! Once you plug it in it did say "Coolermaster Quickfire XT is not supported" but seems to work just fine.

I'm at work now, but when I get home i'll test my QFR as well as my Zibal 60 that has backlighting, so i'll see if that works as well.

Gonna pair it up with a 60%, make me a custom shortened cable, and i'll have me a perfect little on the go machine. since I don't need the power or price of a laptop.

If you guys have any questions or anything you would like me to test let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Requires the lightning to USB camera connection kit $29.99 US

Just thought I would share incase anyone else was ever curious about this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:15:28 by hashbaz »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: PSA: Mechanical keyboards work with iPads!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:18:09 »
I've rebooted this thread.

Geekhackers, don't be jerks.  Jixr, don't be so thin-skinned. :thumb:

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:44:49 »
Check out this thread hope it helps :)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51933

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 05:21:28 »
Ahh cool :)

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Nojo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 07:10:34 »
Nice, have you tried your other keyboard?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:16:07 »
On an iPad I can see this being really cool with a 60%. But on an iPhone I don't see this ever being used. But hey, it's cool that it works.
But there is always this for those who want one that has blue tooth http://kbtalkingusa.com/buy-keyboards/

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 19:21:40 »
Do function row affect apple

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 19:29:35 »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline Belfong

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:13:22 »
3 years late, but since Apple just released the new version of Lightning USB to Camera Connection Kit ($39) which also have a separate Lightning port to charge the iPad AND the device that you are connecting to, I gave it a try and glad to announce that my 2TU which has LED works real fine.

Unfortunately, despite having that charger providing additional power, HHKB still did not work :(

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:17:52 »
Just get an Android.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:28:18 »
Tried the same adaptor with my KUL TKL and that works.

Sent from my iToothbrush
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:30:57 »
Just get an Android.
Android comes with mechanical keyboard?  :eek:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:32:02 »
I've rebooted this thread.

Geekhackers, don't be jerks.  Jixr, don't be so thin-skinned. :thumb:

Thanks, #baz.

Just get an Android.

Yup. Android is just better in every way.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:39:22 »
Just get an Android.

Oh wow! Thanks for your input!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:24:52 »
Sweet, does this mean I can use my Model M on my 12 hour flight?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:35:26 »
Just get an Android.

Oh wow! Thanks for your input!

not to be that guy

but i can type on my android natively with a $2 OTG USB to micro USB cable which is pretty neat

Offline Belfong

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 04:53:19 »

not to be that guy

but i can type on my android natively with a $2 OTG USB to micro USB cable which is pretty neat
sure but why are you using Android and yet collect mechanical? I'd think that you enjoy niche, high priced stuff like a mech keyboard, so you should be using an Apple product, my man. Android are for the mass...  :eek: :p

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 04:59:02 »

not to be that guy

sure but why are you using Android and yet collect mechanical? I'd think that you enjoy niche, high priced stuff like a mech keyboard, so you should be using an Apple product, my man. Android are for the mass...  :eek: :p

the moneys i save by not buying apple products is the only reason i can afford mech kbs

Offline Belfong

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 05:00:06 »
Good comeback! Ha ha haaaaaaaaa!

Offline zslane

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 13:20:18 »
On the other hand, the money I save by not buying relentlessly mediocre Android products and then throwing them into a landfill, allows me to buy iPads and Pok3rs to go with them.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 18:06:32 »

snip...

Unfortunately, despite having that charger providing additional power, HHKB still did not work :(

Sorry to hear that. I wonder why PFU Ltd. designed it to be such a power hog - do they spec some particularly inefficient USB hub? I guess they couldn't have known back when they designed it that their little 60% board would turn out to be such a nice companion to mobile devices. I sometimes bring my HHKB Pro JP into my car with me when I know that I'm going to have to wait awhile, and it turns my little iPhone 5S into a lean, mean texting machine.  :D

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 08:00:12 »
Sweet, does this mean I can use my Model M on my 12 hour flight?

Only if you sit next to the crying child.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 12:36:18 »

not to be that guy

Only the cheap crappy phones are for the masses. Flagship android phones are in the same price range as apple.

Besides if you're into mech keyboards, you're probably into customizing your experience. That means android ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:46:30 »
I still wouldn't have thought of using a camera connector to connect a keyboard :))

Wonder how long until Apple find a way of stopping this wotking?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:11:06 »
The "camera adapter" is only necessary because the iPad doesn't have a USB port. The only way to get a USB device connected is with an adapter, and originally, the only (type of) connectable device Apple supported was a camera, hence the name of the adapter.

Now, despite the officially unsupported status of mech boards, they still worked when connected, albeit with a highly irritating popup box announcing the detection of an unsupported device every time the iPad was awakened.

Luckily, though, Apple recently (and by recently I mean last year) eliminated the popup box, and we can now use mech boards and they feel more like first-class citizens even though the adapter is still necessary. I was really hoping that the introduction of the smart connector on the iPad Pro line of tablets would lead to the release of "smart dock" devices that would provide a USB port for proper support of mech keyboards. Doesn't seem like any vendors have jumped on that opportunity, unfortunately.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 06:06:20 »
So those who have tried both (camera adaptor and Bluetooth), which is more convenient for using a mechanical keyboard with an iPad?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 07:48:01 »
So those who have tried both (camera adaptor and Bluetooth), which is more convenient for using a mechanical keyboard with an iPad?
Bluetooth will have very slight lags sometimes and as such, I still prefer wired.. But of course, wireless is freedom and lags is a small price to pay.

Offline Shaussman

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 08:16:54 »
Not all keyboards work, my Magicforce had problems. I want to try again with my WASD tonight to see how that goes; Pokers work so I would assume this would as well, since that's basically what it is
MX Brown Quickfire XT | MX Clear WASD VP3 | MX Blue Ducky Zero

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:42:56 »
I prefer the "wired" connection. One less thing to keep charged. And with Apple's new "camera" connector you can also charge the iPad while having a keyboard attached. Works best for me.

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline zslane

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 12:48:28 »
I also dislike keyboards that need to be charged to function. I prefer wired. Besides, I only use my Pok3r when my iPad is going to be in a fixed position for many hours, so being tethered to a cable isn't even noticeable. If I am on the go, I just use the (crappy) bluetooth keyboard that is built into the Targa case my iPad sits in.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:15:31 »
FWIW, I tried the camera adapter with most of my keyboards and it worked great, including:

HHKB Pro JP
IBM Model M
Unicomp Model M
Topre 87U
Avant Stellar
KB Paradise V80
WASD V2 104
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 13:18:23 by losing_ctrl »

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 02:54:49 »
Normal HHKB Pro 2 doesn't work :D such a shame... Even fullsize Model M, and RF 104U work fine. As for other 60% keyboards I've tested Poker 2, Pok3r, GON's Nerd 60, KBP V60 (cherry and matias) and GH60, all work as expected. GON's keyboard even works with bluetooth, surprising, as it doesn't work with Mac's bluetooth.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 06:40:50 »
On the other hand, the money I save by not buying relentlessly mediocre Android products and then throwing them into a landfill, allows me to buy iPads and Pok3rs to go with them.
A decent Android with a custom Kernel and OS etc is really quite good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:05:39 »
Bluetooth will have very slight lags sometimes and as such, I still prefer wired.. But of course, wireless is freedom and lags is a small price to pay.

Lag I can live with - my iPad 2 had iOS 7.something and the onscreen keyboard already lags :))

I prefer the "wired" connection. One less thing to keep charged. And with Apple's new "camera" connector you can also charge the iPad while having a keyboard attached. Works best for me.

Useful to know - thanks! :)

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 21:13:07 »
FWIW, I tried the camera adapter with most of my keyboards and it worked great, including:

HHKB Pro JP
IBM Model M
Unicomp Model M
Topre 87U
Avant Stellar
KB Paradise V80
WASD V2 104
And I like to add
-WASD / Pok3r and
-KUL ES-87
to that list.

Only thing I did not (yet) got working are some of the Mac-style functions (Dim screen, track forward/stop/back) with the Pok3r.

Useful to know - thanks! :)
You're welcome!

Offline zslane

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 11:28:28 »
Add another to the list:
  • The CM NovaTouch works just fine, though that probably isn't surprising given that all manner of RealForce boards are reported to work as well.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 21:22:53 »

HHKB Pro JP
IBM Model M
Unicomp Model M
Topre 87U
Avant Stellar
KB Paradise V80
WASD V2 104

So weird, why the HHKB Pro JP works with the USB camera adapter but HHKB Pro 2 doesn't?

Edit: After reading this post in reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/40qnn6/hhkb_and_ipad_finally/
reporting a clumsy working setup between an iPad and the HHKB Pro 2, and that iPad complains HHKB Pro 2 that "This device uses too much power" but the multi-meter measurement says otherwise (at the very bottom of the page).
I think there's some firmware problem in HHKB Pro 2 which is causing this connection issue with iPad and that firmware problem is not present in the HHKB Pro 2 JP version. I hope there can really be a firmware update for the regular HHKB Pro 2 to connect to the iPad without error although I have never heard of HHKB firmware update.

Edit 2: I found there's some firmware update for the HHKB keyboards released in December 2015 after a HHKB Pro 2 user who can speak Japanese contacted PFU about a problem he encountered in OSX El Capitan (http://rick.cogley.info/post/pfu-hhkb-keyboard-osx-el-capitan-status/). So firmware update request is possible if one can talk to PFU directly in Japanese and insist that the update is important. (I immediately can think of a famous GH member here who can do much more than just use HHKB and who speaks native Japanese.  ;))
I am not sure if the iPad connection problem has also been solved in this firmware update, but the new firmware of HHKB Pro 2 is here:
http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/download.html
It seems like one needs the Windows environment to flash the firmware.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2016, 02:04:12 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Jumie

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 22:36:12 »
Add to the list:
- fc660m
- satan gh60

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 18:10:09 »
And two more to add, and really neat and handy as portable boards: Vortex Core and JD45. I assume a JD40 will work just as nice.

Offline zslane

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 18:28:09 »
So does the Vortex Pok3r RGB.