Author Topic: Unicomp Mini Model M SSK prototype first look, overview/review and experience  (Read 15571 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

if you don't like the high pitched noise of the Model F.

could this be fixed with dental floss mod?

Yes, that is precisely what the dental floss mod does. And why it is virtually useless on a Model M.

I think the plastic rivets were a step too far for the sake of cost savings.

True. There were a lot of compromises in the F-to-M transition, but that is the one that really impacted functionality. The personality and charm of the F were eliminated, but the M was entirely adequate for what was probably imagined to be a 3-5 year life cycle.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Maledicted

if you don't like the high pitched noise of the Model F.

could this be fixed with dental floss mod?

Yes, that is precisely what the dental floss mod does. And why it is virtually useless on a Model M.

I had a feeling you would chime in on that one. I like my Fs to ping, so I couldn't speak from experience on it.

Offline yui

i kinda also think that the old rivets can break with use, the hammer hitting on the plate create vibration and a sharp force on them, and from the old broken M i have all of them had the rivets closest to the most used keys broken (although one of them is used enough for a key to be worn to the point that part of the legend was fading, this one only had 2 intact rivets when i got it)
i still think that compared to modern keyboard the M is a tank, but compared to what came before it, yeah it is rather flimsy
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Model M isn't a TANK though.   It's just HEAVY because of that steel plate.

The true Tank boards were all special builds for industrial environments, and TBH, I'd worry a bit about the radiation/ toxins  in collecting them..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

i kinda also think that the old rivets can break with use

It is random and unpredictable. One of my oldest Ms, a 1390131 from about 1986-87, came to me a few years ago used (but not abused) with zero broken rivets. But at about the same time, I bought a New-in-Box, sealed, SSK from Cindy with just over half of its rivets already broken.

Since I have done it enough to be comfortable with the process, I have bolt-modded all (but one) of the Model Ms that I intend to keep for my own personal use. For me, it is a relatively painless way to correct the most obvious glaring weakness of the keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Maledicted

The true Tank boards were all special builds for industrial environments, and TBH, I'd worry a bit about the radiation/ toxins  in collecting them..

Agreed. I think just about anything relatively rigid made today is more of a tank than a Model M that's still held together by plastic rivets.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Agreed. I think just about anything relatively rigid made today is more of a tank than a Model M that's still held together by plastic rivets.

I do like Phosphorglow.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 09:40:48 by Snowdog993 »

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
Is there any particular reason why you cant use metal rivets?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Is there any particular reason why you cant use metal rivets?

Long story short, it is the design of the keyboard itself. The membrane is sandwiched between the barrel and the back plate. The barrel has long extensions that are melted to the back of the steel back plate. They can hold for decades or just completely fall apart. The screw mod is actually installing small screws in where the extensions broke off. It is very tedious work, but well worth it. I attempted to do this before, and failed.
I guess the reason why Unicomp does not make a "riveted" assembly is because it would be very costly to create a jig to throw all the rivets into, and improve the quality of the keyboards. Nine times out of ten, they last a very long time.
I suppose it could be done, but would take a lot of ingenuity to make it so it can be mass produced like that. Nobody has really addressed that issue because these keyboards are built very well for the price you pay.
Edit:
You just can't "rivet" haphazardly either. The tension across the whole barrel has to be equal across the whole back plate. The tolerances are very critical so each key has equally the same tension between.
Too late. Long story.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 09:33:00 by Snowdog993 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

The tension across the whole barrel has to be equal across the whole back plate.

Tangentially off-topic, but for this reason I always recommend "barely finger tight" for screws or bolts because steel in compression is capable of generating a very powerful force compared to plastic in tension.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
They started taking orders on the 14th, and they started shipping yesterday, on the 20th, so the Model M SSK is now no longer a prototype, it is real. Initially, the choices that are available are limited. USB only, and black only. Available in U.S. or International layout, and in all grey keys in addition to grey and white keys at least for the U.S. layout.

Offline Touch_It

I kinda want to get one, even though I use my numpad all the time.  Someone should talk me out of this.  I really should focus on fixing my f107 and F122. (really should just find someone to do the work for me at this point)

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Maledicted

I kinda want to get one, even though I use my numpad all the time.  Someone should talk me out of this.  I really should focus on fixing my f107 and F122. (really should just find someone to do the work for me at this point)

What's wrong with them? I'll take the F107 and you can buy one of these.  ;D

Offline Touch_It

nothing is super wrong with it, but it needs a few things.

1.  case needs painted again or clear coat removed. (did a crappy job on that)

2. Had some chatter issues iirc with some keys double registering or not at all.  maybe related to #3.

3.  I don't think i did a great job with the foam replacement and reassembly.  Key feel is inconsistant with some areas being quite pingy as they should be and other areas feeling "dull".

with 2 young kids i just haven't found/made enough time to work on it.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Maledicted

nothing is super wrong with it, but it needs a few things.

1.  case needs painted again or clear coat removed. (did a crappy job on that)

2. Had some chatter issues iirc with some keys double registering or not at all.  maybe related to #3.

3.  I don't think i did a great job with the foam replacement and reassembly.  Key feel is inconsistant with some areas being quite pingy as they should be and other areas feeling "dull".

with 2 young kids i just haven't found/made enough time to work on it.

You're using an xwhatsit controller, right? Did you try an alternative debounce filter? Might have to tweak voltage for keys that don't register, although if some feel and sound inconsistent, pulling all of the caps on the suspect barrels and making sure the spring sits about where all of the known good springs sit, then reseating the caps with the board tilted 90 (space bar up) might fix all of the problems besides the chatter.

I think that people are running QMK on their xwhatsit controllers now too though, including with the F107, which is supposed to do a better job at just figuring out the voltage threshold automatically.

If any of the springs don't seem to be sitting right, or if you tried all else and nothing has helped with the feel and/or specific keys not registering, I like to tweak the springs in the barrel with a pair of fine needle-nose pliers. Usually I just need to stick them down in the barrel, grab the spring near where it attaches to the flipper and compress it to help seat it better. Otherwise, sometimes I gently pull up on the spring and do the same again, making sure the spring seems to sit in about the same place as the others with the keyboard flipped 90 degrees like mentioned before.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 21:23:55 by Maledicted »

Offline rwiker

They started taking orders on the 14th, and they started shipping yesterday, on the 20th, so the Model M SSK is now no longer a prototype, it is real. Initially, the choices that are available are limited. USB only, and black only. Available in U.S. or International layout, and in all grey keys in addition to grey and white keys at least for the U.S. layout.

I've checked the Unicomp web site, but I cannot see any indication that it is available in international layouts?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
When they do the Beige run, hope they get the right Beige, 

Don't want that pale beige,   

Want that Rich mustard beige that says HARD WORK

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Like any other Model M? Or do you mean those keyboards that need retrobrite because of the type of plastic on certain keyboards? Unfortunately, the Model M does not actually need retrobrite at all. I guess you may want to paint it that yellowish color on the clamshell and keys to get it that uneveness of those competitive models that actually need retrobrite.

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
Has anyone's shipped yet? I am patiently waiting impatiently.  :D

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
I've checked the Unicomp web site, but I cannot see any indication that it is available in international layouts?

You are correct that it doesn't seem to be possible to order the international layout version from the Unicomp web site. Their New Product Announcement for the SSK claimed that it would be available on release in the intenational ISO keyboard as well, and would also in a short time be available in the Macintosh layout.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

Like any other Model M? Or do you mean those keyboards that need retrobrite because of the type of plastic on certain keyboards? Unfortunately, the Model M does not actually need retrobrite at all. I guess you may want to paint it that yellowish color on the clamshell and keys to get it that uneveness of those competitive models that actually need retrobrite.

There's a very distinct difference from the pale beige which approach white (blueish), and the older warmer beige towards yellow.

The classic computer feel is squarely towards Yellow. Whereas leading into the black+silver era, the beige produced began to go towards blueish white.

Offline Maledicted

I don't think any plastic needs retrobiting myself. Yellowing adds character. I have an old Fujitsu board that literally looks like mustard. I wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2021, 12:20:17 by Maledicted »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

There's a very distinct difference from the pale beige which approach white (blueish), and the older warmer beige towards yellow.

The classic computer feel is squarely towards Yellow. Whereas leading into the black+silver era, the beige produced began to go towards blueish white.

I guess you are referring to Apple keyboards? That's an entirely different perspective. Maybe I just misinterpreted what you are going on about. Anyway, if you had a Model M, you would be wondering what you were going on about in the first place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Naturally, I am old-school and like everything beige.

That said, IBM's "industrial" cases with classic pebble and pearl caps is striking and awesome.

Offline skriefal

Has anyone's shipped yet? I am patiently waiting impatiently.  :D

I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that they've begun shipping.  Seems that they've missed their shipping date estimate.

31 March 2021 - UPDATE - Shipping notice received today.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 14:24:59 by skriefal »

Offline Wulkes

Got mine last week, been holding on to these sets of blanks for 7+ years waiting for this board to come out.  :cool:

But the sculpt of the black spacebar is off, so it gets stuck, so I'm going with the grey blanks for now.

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
Looks great! How's the USB connector?

Offline Wilkes

Exactly as solid as you can imagine a full size USB port to be, haha. It came bundled with a 6 ft USB a to a cable from monoprice. QC is about what you can expect from Unicomp, which is to say it wasn’t blemish free, but I’m not pressed about it. Happy to have it as my new daily driver.

Offline diqkiq

My order status is still pending. Who else has received their keyboard?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline King Icewind

• Keys of Kings
Mine is still pending as well. Ordered March 2nd. When did you order yours?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.

Offline diqkiq

Feb 28. Today I just got the shipping notification

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline funkmon

Offline sefixmm

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice color combination !

Offline Maledicted

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice color combination !

Yeah, that looks great.  :thumb: Any more detailed impressions so far?

Offline Cloverdale

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What a beauty! This makes me want to get one but I have to remember that Cherry MX BROWNS! are much better for my use and I already got TKLs of those. Sigh...

Also, if UNICOMP did a separate numpad Model M style they could have the ultimate Model M kit with that and the SSK.

Offline Maledicted

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What a beauty! This makes me want to get one but I have to remember that Cherry MX BROWNS! are much better for my use and I already got TKLs of those. Sigh...

Also, if UNICOMP did a separate numpad Model M style they could have the ultimate Model M kit with that and the SSK.

That would be cool, but I don't know how much of a market there would be for it. I suppose every active user of an SSK (old and new), and even F62 and F77 keyboards are a prospective buyer, but 4704 Model F users are a bit of a stretch. Their biggest market is industrial and medical business users that are more worried about custom mappings/legends than they are modularity/mobility and/or aesthetics.

Offline Spaceman1200

had mine a few days now, Anyone else have issues with chattering switches? My H key is acting up.

**Edit** - Tried reseating it a bunch of times, Seems to have helped.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 10:36:54 by Spaceman1200 »

Offline R_Endymion

had mine a few days now, Anyone else have issues with chattering switches? My H key is acting up.

**Edit** - Tried reseating it a bunch of times, Seems to have helped.

No issue with it on my board I received last week. I'd contact Unicomp if I were you and see what they can do.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
Got mine last week, been holding on to these sets of blanks for 7+ years waiting for this board to come out.  :cool:

Thundering gherkins, has it really been that long?

Admittedly, I haven't followed this, er, saga very closely, but I suppose it did drag on for a bit, didn't it?  It seemed as though every time I dropped by for a quick glimpse of GH, someone would mention the Unicomp SSK in passing.  However, Unicomp never appeared to be moving any closer to an actual ship date.

After all that palaver, its actual appearance is almost unreal.  Has anyone checked the temperature lately in certain nether regions?

Perhaps I am alone in this, but: after seeing actual photographs (!), I think I now know how people feel after they have spotted a unicorn: a peculiar mixture of amazement and delight coupled with a faint-but-lingering feeling of disappointment because, well, now you have seen it, haven't you, and you realise only belatedly that the anticipation was half the fun.

Of course, the ultimate proof would be to actually clutch one of these in one's calloused, dirt-streaked hands, eh?  After a delay of nearly a decade-and-a-half, I feel almost duty-bound to buy one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
These look great!

Now I've got to work out if I want a third SSK (once they start shipping internationally).

The inclusion of Win keys solves the main problem that prevents me from using mine more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ