Author Topic: [GB] Duck Keyboard Weights: Viper/ Eagle, LSv3, Jetfire and TC-V3  (Read 53832 times)

Offline hhkbp2

Re: [GB] Duck Keyboard Weights: Viper/ Eagle, LSv3, Jetfire and TC-V3
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 02:11:18 »
Seeing the photos, the engraved lines wobble a lot. Looks not good...

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 02:53:29 »
Why was the engraving only wobbly outlines?
This kinda looks totally different from what was promised.

Edit: Can we changed to a non engraved piece instead?
We were expecting it to be like this:

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 November 2018, 08:01:44 by Mikiberry »

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 06:06:06 »
I have to agree with the comments about the engraving. The job looks really amateur. I wish I’d opted for non-engraved now.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 09:18:14 »
Why was the engraving only wobbly outlines?
This kinda looks totally different from what was promised.

Edit: Can we changed to a non engraved piece instead?
We were expecting it to be like this:
Show Image

That looks like it was done with a chamfer end mill at the machine shop.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These look like they were done freehand with a dremel on a kitchen table.

Not pleased with how these look.

Offline Aox

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 13:46:18 »
Yeah, I ordered a Lightsaver engraved, and the finished product definitely looks like it was done with an engraving pen, freehand.

I appreciate the GB and the work involved, and don't want to be overly negative, but I'm disappointed in the final product.  :(

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 14:07:07 »
Hi All,

I'm really sorry to hear the unhappiness with some of the engraving. As I've said all along, this project is a bit of community service for me- trying to do something good for a community I love. I thought, hey, I've designed and produced products before for work, Merlin did an awesome job on the Blackbird weights, but is otherwise occupied, so I decided to tackle it. I've been as transparent as possible the whole time... and I've tried my best to use the same diligence I would use on a work project for this one.

Brass manufacturer- had samples made in stainless steel, checked the measurements with them like 100 times and test fit in my own boards before ordering production - went well.
Countersinks- unexpected step as you know, but I had evaluated a CNC shop here in Tucson for manufacture of the plates and ended up going a different way, but went back to him when we needed countersinks. Didn't plan for the almost $900 this cost, but the outcome was good. I had him test run a couple pieces before giving him the lot of our brass and liked his performance - went well.
Polishing- qualified the polishing house here locally and had them test polish a couple pieces of brass for me to evaluate their work before ordering the whole stack o'brass polished. I'm not crazy about the amount of the polish that was left behind, but the brass came out shiny and nice for the most part. I've spoken with them about not leaving the polish behind if we do another round of weights - went mostly well.
Engraving- I visited a few shops and picked a local place that does trophies and awards of all kinds. They took the files Gaiden generated and we posted and they said they would digitize them, which cost us about $70 per file to turn the artwork into an engraving file. I looked at a lot of their work, which includes things like a dude's portrait engraved in a plaque for his 50 years at wherever... it looked amazing. Due to being behind schedule and travel, etc., for this step, I trusted that the engraved work would look like the files and didn't run one of each before ordering the lot. I'm not sure what technique they used or why the engravings did not come back exactly like the files. In person, the Eagle/ Viper, TC-V3 and Jetfire look ok and pretty true to the graphic- in outline at least. The Lightsaver is the one that I am the least happy with, there are definitely some wobbles in the lines. I cut the corner of having a few pieces test run and it's bitten me/ us.

I wish that I had a resolution to make this better for everyone. If I had the coin and wouldn't get divorced because of spending $1000 on something I'd go and re-polish them and re-do the engraving. But it's just not a feasible option for me. I really apologize for that- once again, my only goal here was to have weights done that everyone loved - myself included. I'm a customer here too, I just want my Duck boards heavier.

That's my mea culpa. All I can do is continue to share the process and in the case of the Lightsaver, why it's gone not perfect and share a bit of your disappointment.

Unfortunately, I don't have any extra un-engraved weights to swap out. I have one or two extras of one or two models at this point, the rest have been picked up. Sorry about that.

And I don't take your disappointment personally. I hope you all know I've done my best to make this awesome for everyone, thus why I've made this in no small part an open journey where I've tried to share an much of the good/ bad/ ugly with all of you. I've been part of what, 50 group buys over three years...? I've learned a TON having now run one. It's just like at work, constructive criticism only helps things get better next time and I never take it personally (unless of course it's a YOU SUCK comment). Like I outlined, I missed a step of due diligence and it does suck. Getting brass made, fitting well and polished, I was just enjoying some cautious optimism that my first GB would end up with everyone being happy. You'll have to trust me when I say it bothers me more than I can tell you that's not the case, but if y'all want to ride again with me next time, I'm willing to make sure it ends up 100% awesome for Orion v3.

Have a good weekend. Many shipping notices to come.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 20:33:04 »
The engraving doesn't look well to me, but I could live with that. I think I will choose the unengraved versions next time. ;D

Thanks for your hard work!

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 15:50:37 »
So basically "sorry that those of you who paid almost double are all unhappy with the thing that you paid extra for, but you're SOL and I'm not going to do anything about it"?

So the safety net that was supposed to cover problems got spent on countersinks and polishing for the weights that weren't supposed to get polished in the first place and all we get is "mea culpa"? Really?

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 16:04:51 »
So basically "sorry that those of you who paid almost double are all unhappy with the thing that you paid extra for, but you're SOL and I'm not going to do anything about it"?

So the safety net that was supposed to cover problems got spent on countersinks and polishing for the weights that weren't supposed to get polished in the first place and all we get is "mea culpa"? Really?

If you have an (engraved) Jetfire, TC-V3 or Orion order you are unhappy with, PM me and I can trade it out for an (unengraved / polished) one with you and pp the difference. I also have engraved Orion v1 and Octagon ones (SS, from mechmerlins' gb) to swap as well.

Its so unfortunate for sure, that people may be unhappy with the quality of the engraving, but some of these GB runners are just civilians doing their best to deliver great stuff to the community. They're not manufacturers that can fix the issue, nor are they corporations that have the pockets to throw money at the problem. All we can ask for in a GB is transparency, which this one has given.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 November 2018, 18:39:28 by japanesehorrorwriter »

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 16:27:57 »
Have all the non-engraved weights been shipped?  I still haven’t seen a shipping invoice.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 17:00:55 »

What exactly would you like to see done??

There was as minimal of a safety net as I could stomach as I did everything in the US instead of China, knowing it was all at higher cost. The countersinks was a miscalculation that indeed ate the incidental fund and then some. Polishing I decided to do at my cost because I thought it looked so much better. I’ve asked for an optional $5 extra with the shipping invoices to help cover that, which about half the folks are kindly doing.

I said that I’m not going to spend $1000 to re-polish and re-engrave everything. I don’t think that’s crazy and sadly, that’s the only real option to improve them.

I’m in one board GB that went totally MIA/ belly up- out $500. Another handful that delivered a flawed or damaged product. There’s always risk to GBs. There’s kbdfans if you want an off the shelf product. If the $60 or $400 you might risk stresses you a ton, this is not a super great hobby. I personally look at it 100% like Kickstarter. In this case, I am bummed beyond belief that everyone isn’t thrilled at the end product- that was my only goal here. Think maybe Orion weights will be better done in a small private run. I now totally get that new and popular GB model!

In my opinion, the TC-V3 that you’re in for came out extremely close to the artwork. Maybe you should wait and see it before you light the flamethrower.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 17:03:16 »
Have all the non-engraved weights been shipped?  I still haven’t seen a shipping invoice.

All of the US non-engraved weights have gone out. A big chunk of engraved went today- invoices to come tonight.

Going to chew through as many Canada/ ROW as possible tomorrow and drop off Monday.

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 21:44:21 »

All of the US non-engraved weights have gone out. A big chunk of engraved went today- invoices to come tonight.

Going to chew through as many Canada/ ROW as possible tomorrow and drop off Monday.

That's good thing to hear Steve!  :thumb: Is the tracking information being sent w/ the invoice?
Folks using proxy (including me myself) often needs the tracking # prior it hits the mailbox as most freight forwarders requires the information.

Offline damagepoint

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 13:02:34 »
Should all unengraved weight have recieved their invoices?

Offline Chimera

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 23:32:32 »
Paid. Cant wait to get it installed when it arrives.

Offline asphyxia

• i'm lovely
    • Twitter
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 11:28:35 »
Payed! thanks steve.
TGR 910 CE / Kmac Happy HHKB / LZ CLS H / Duck Eagle V2 / Poly Singa / TX65 / DC60

Offline merticusjones

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 12:10:09 »

Haven't received my shipping invoice either (unengraved, US address)

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:11:34 »

Yours hit the post office this morning on my way to work- shipping invoice to come sometime today when I have a minute.

Almost all- catching one or two I missed in the US and just now getting international out- engraved and unengraved. Thought yours shipped a week ago though- know we talked about the address change. Let me investigate today and get back to you- I'll email you.

Another big batch is in motion- dropped off a bunch Saturday and more this morning. I'm packing these up in all available moments, but I'm averaging about 7-8 boxes an hour, so there is still a ways to go. Thanks very much for your patience.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 14:08:49 »

That's good thing to hear Steve!  :thumb: Is the tracking information being sent w/ the invoice?
Folks using proxy (including me myself) often needs the tracking # prior it hits the mailbox as most freight forwarders requires the information.

Yes, definitely! I'm sending email with tracking to everyone after I ship, then sending the shipping invoice. Yours will be dropped off tomorrow and I'll send tracking right away.  :thumb:

Offline captainish

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:03:27 »
Paid my shipping invoice  :thumb:. Excited to toss it in the board. Didn't think I'd get my TC-V3 before the weight.

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 18:29:01 »

key cap included to show how shiny these bad boys came out, thanks Steve!

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 11:29:16 »
Show Image

Looks freaking awesome in the silver board!! Thanks for sharing the pic- enjoy the hefty Eagle!  :thumb: :thumb:

Another big batch dropped this morning... Shipping invoices to come sometime today. :)

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 10:56:29 »
Still no shipping invoice. :(

Offline mmontess

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 24 November 2018, 22:47:42 »
Oof, lemme preface this by saying I place 0% of the blame on the GB runner

But damn, the engraving on this LSV3 weight is R O U G H

It's to the point where it might be valuable to post the name of the shop you used to get these engraved so future GB runners can know not to use them.

I'm not trying to be toxic but seriously, this looks like someone went freehand on this thing with a dremel.

Steve, I appreciate the GB and this is an internal component so it really doesn't matter, but the lines on this brass are abysmal.

Online LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 08:12:11 »
I got my weight last night. As many people said, the engraving is certainly sub-par, but in the end the component serves the purpose it must -- which is simply to be an internal weight. While I do hold some regret in having paid extra for the job of an engraving that did not meet my standards and had to wait longer for, I'm at least glad the buy is finalizing completely despite some delays. Lessons learned for smittysteve and many of us - what counts is that I am ultimately satisfied that it fully fills the slot within the board and has no clearance issues. Thanks, Steve, for all your hard work.

Without further ado, here's some pictures.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 08:17:16 »
I got my weight last night. As many people said, the engraving is certainly sub-par, but in the end the component serves the purpose it must -- which is simply to be an internal weight. While I do hold some regret in having paid extra for the job of an engraving that did not meet my standards and had to wait longer for, I'm at least glad the buy is finalizing completely despite some delays. Lessons learned for smittysteve and many of us - what counts is that I am ultimately satisfied that it fully fills the slot within the board and has no clearance issues. Thanks, Steve, for all your hard work.

Without further ado, here's some pictures.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Man that bottom part of the "L" really grinds my gears how someone thought that looked acceptable...

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:27:30 »
Smittysteve's only mistake here ( which he freely admitted ) was not getting samples of the engraving done.  There is no doubt in my mind that future weight buys will not skip that step.  As others have said, where it really counts these weights are great.  The fit is perfect.  Luckily the engravings aren't visible, though of course we'll know they're not what they could have been.

I wouldn't hesitate to join another of Smitty's buys in the future.  Bring on Orion v3  :p

Online LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:33:09 »
Smittysteve's only mistake here ( which he freely admitted ) was not getting samples of the engraving done.  There is no doubt in my mind that future weight buys will not skip that step.  As others have said, where it really counts these weights are great.  The fit is perfect.  Luckily the engravings aren't visible, though of course we'll know they're not what they could have been.

I wouldn't hesitate to join another of Smitty's buys in the future.  Bring on Orion v3  :p

That's pretty much how I feel. I'd join a future buy as well. Steve has been transparent about the process, and reliable thus far. He's reached out personally to take care of any issues that may occur or have occurred. It's definitely some insight gained here from doing this buy, and it can only get better moving forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:03:52 »
Show Image

Looks freaking awesome in the silver board!! Thanks for sharing the pic- enjoy the hefty Eagle!  :thumb: :thumb:

Another big batch dropped this morning... Shipping invoices to come sometime today. :)

Updates on international orders please?

Offline mmontess

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:53:14 »

That's pretty much how I feel. I'd join a future buy as well. Steve has been transparent about the process, and reliable thus far. He's reached out personally to take care of any issues that may occur or have occurred. It's definitely some insight gained here from doing this buy, and it can only get better moving forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah I tried to make it abundantly clear in my post that I think Steve did a very good job with the GB, just that the engraving was rough. I would definitely join in on another of his buys purely for how transparent he was with everything.

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:36:01 »
Wait, are US engraved orders supposed to have been shipped at this point?

I feel like the shipping timeline updates and process for this GB could have been improved...
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:40:01 by nuclear_wizard »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:50:25 »
Yup, would join a Steve buy again - the man even shipped before I paid. Engraving is not the best, but lives inside, :shrug:.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 22:44:53 »
If anyone wants to let go of their Viper/Eagle weights, I'm here.  :thumb:

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 07:48:48 »
If anyone wants to let go of their Viper/Eagle weights, I'm here.  :thumb:

pmed

Offline Hamel

• KBDLAB
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 08:43:27 »
208148-0

Just received the TC-V3 weight: first of all, big thanks to Steve for conducting this GB.
I had a great experince with how Steve conducted this GB & will definitely join his next GB for Orion V3 weight!

Not pointing finger at anyone, like the others previously mentioned I have to admit that engraving quality is not as expected.
However, it wasn't a big issue for me personally as it is not visible when assembled ;D

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 08:47:02 »

Yours hit the post office this morning on my way to work- shipping invoice to come sometime today when I have a minute.

Almost all- catching one or two I missed in the US and just now getting international out- engraved and unengraved. Thought yours shipped a week ago though- know we talked about the address change. Let me investigate today and get back to you- I'll email you.

Another big batch is in motion- dropped off a bunch Saturday and more this morning. I'm packing these up in all available moments, but I'm averaging about 7-8 boxes an hour, so there is still a ways to go. Thanks very much for your patience.
I still didn't get a shipping invoice. Any other international buyers get theirs?

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 09:26:03 »

Just received the TC-V3 weight: first of all, big thanks to Steve for conducting this GB.
I had a great experince with how Steve conducted this GB & will definitely join his next GB for Orion V3 weight!

Not pointing finger at anyone, like the others previously mentioned I have to admit that engraving quality is not as expected.
However, it wasn't a big issue for me personally as it is not visible when assembled ;D
Out of curiosity, how much did the TC-V3 weight weigh?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 02:03:30 »
Hi All,

I beg a million pardons and apologize for going MIA this week. Was one of those weeks. Tried to travel through O’Hare on Monday with 1,200 cancelled flights and the week just got crazier/ busier from there u til getting back late last night. Won’t bore you with the details, but I am just coming up for air. I’ve been digging out of all inboxes- just a few pms to go.

I’ll also reach out to everyone who wrote/ commented...  many thanks for sharing your thoughts, I really do appreciate it- good, bad and otherwise.

My goal is to finish up the buy with two more trips to the post office. I’ll take a big bunch on Monday and then another Saturday and I hope that does it.

International folks, very sorry, you’re a disproportionately large fraction of what’s left. Hang in there.

I also really hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. This community is something I’m extremely thankful for- the chance to buy, build and share things with this passionate group of people is awesome. It really is.

Along those lines, I feel like apologizing for my post back to jrfhoutx a couple weeks ago. We talked privately after and it’s all good- super nice guy and was just disappointed. I don’t need to tell anyone in this community about the joys and risks of GBs. No one has called me on it, but it wasn’t my finest moment either. I tell you, unless you’re out to scam people, running a GB, even for a silly hunk of brass is personal- you want everyone to be stoked at the end. I’ve spoken with a couple of other folks who have run something or other and have mentioned the worry about things not turning out right and the disappointed buyers as a major concern with running another GB. That said, if y’all are willing to ride again and trust me to get it 100% right for Orion v3, I’m game. And it would not be private- that was another very silly thing to say.

to all. PM/ Discord/ email if you need anything.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 02:23:38 »
running a gb is by far one of the hardest things i have ever done

in life, not just in keyboards

i wish it on nobody
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aox

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 12:01:05 »
I'm still waiting on a shipping invoice for an engraved LSv3 in Irvine, CA.  Am I still in the queue somewheres?

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 11:43:31 »
It's been just shy of 2 weeks since folks have posted pics of their received engraved weights, and I haven't gotten tracking or a shipping invoice. Is there a reason for this seemingly long shipping time frame? Can we get an update on when the remaining weights will go out?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:39:35 »
It's been just shy of 2 weeks since folks have posted pics of their received engraved weights, and I haven't gotten tracking or a shipping invoice. Is there a reason for this seemingly long shipping time frame? Can we get an update on when the remaining weights will go out?
My weight was just delivered last Saturday and the invoice came in on Thursday. I’m pretty sure they’re still trickling out.

Offline KOJUNSEOP

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 10 December 2018, 23:30:12 »
When can I send an invoice to Korea?
hi

Offline Aox

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 16:57:42 »
Bueller?  Bueller?

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 17:05:24 »
ne shipping invoice avail

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 09:15:12 »
Since I’m about to buy a Jetfire I’m curious if a weight is still possible. If not; no biggy. Worth the ask I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 08:37:42 »
hope i could get one of those funky weights on my lightsaver someday

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 08:46:04 »
hope i could get one of those funky weights on my lightsaver someday

I was hoping I'd get mine before Christmas but it's looking unlikely. Smittysteve where are you.

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 18:04:44 »
Well this was a lovely surprise, didn't know it was shipped! Thanks smittysteve! I didn't get a shipping invoice though so I'll just send money to you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 18:10:20 by Evilocity »

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 21:08:03 »
Well this was a lovely surprise, didn't know it was shipped! Thanks smittysteve! I didn't get a shipping invoice though so I'll just send money to you.
Show Image

While it must be nice to receive it, some people travel during the holidays, so a surprise shipment is less than ideal. You'd think Steve would be more accommodating for this seeing as he took like 3 trips throughout the GB. I guess I just have to hope my weight ships a month late or risk needing to chase it down in the postal system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk