Author Topic: Gutz'S Tipro Photo Log II (modern Tipro)  (Read 3000 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Gutz'S Tipro Photo Log II (modern Tipro)
« on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:05:55 »
This is primarily for Samwisekoi and anyone else interested in designing a modular case.

Another POS keyboard log showing the insides. The keyboard in this case is a new and modern Tipro. The only metal plate is inside, so it is significantly lighter (and probably cheaper) than a metal-backed Tipro. All the same this modular casing is firm and robust.

The casing components are held together by just a few screws - clearly much fewer than in the case of older Tipros - as well as by plastic tabs that snap together to fit and which are pretty hard to 'unsnap' out. You must use your screwdriver.

To avoid the usual distractions I have not shown the front of the keyboard. I think it is utterly unimportant for the purpose of this post is not to have people go ooh and aah, but to discuss the casing designs.

The many channels that you can see for the cables are worthless. I don't have a single cable that can fit comfortably into these channels.

I find the modular connector between sections of the keyboard very intelligent and urge them on most keyboard designers. I hope that in future people will make keyboards that have similarly removable sections for the numpad and tenkey and top/ side function rows. I currently do not feel that Samwisekoi's one big PCB for everything {just snap off the parts that you don't want} is the way to go.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:11:30 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Gutz'S Tipro Photo Log II (modern Tipro)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:08:32 »
Could you explain what's going on here? I see it's to do with choosing what bits of the keyboard you want, but beyond that am confused...

Edit: Oh, I see! That's clever.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:35:42 by Dihedral »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:54:30 »
Could you explain what's going on here? I see it's to do with choosing what bits of the keyboard you want, but beyond that am confused...

Dihedral, you need to look at previous posts and do lots of research if you want a unique keyboard, since there are many nonstandard components that you will need to figure out.

EG my Tipro 128 (8x16) photo log is here. I didn't have the modular components for this older Tipro, which uses a metal case backing.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63510.msg1487567#msg1487567

Tipro is flexible (lets you change layout), robust, and apparently having a casing constructed of parts is much cheaper than trying to get a company to cast/ mould a plastic casing in one big piece.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 08:01:12 »

Dihedral, you need to look at previous posts and do lots of research if you want a unique keyboard, since there are many nonstandard components that you will need to figure out.

EG my Tipro 128 (8x16) photo log is here. I didn't have the modular components for this older Tipro, which uses a metal case backing.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63510.msg1487567#msg1487567

Tipro is flexible (lets you change layout), robust, and apparently having a casing constructed of parts is much cheaper than trying to get a company to cast/ mould a plastic casing in one big piece.

That's an interesting design in that linked post. I would be worried about the Build Quality and how solid it would feel - Do you notice this effect?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 08:36:47 »
Wow, this is incredibly cool :eek: :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 08:39:20 »
Interesting.  This is indeed more useful than the other thread for PCB-design inspiration.  I do note that each segment of Tipro PCB has a dedicated controller, and that the boards are connected by small ribbon cables.

This is physically similar to my GH36 inter-connect design, although without controllers on each PCB, the interconnect has 19 traces, so a 20-wire ribbon is needed.  It also means the blocks are spaced further apart than on a typical 104-key keyboard.  (Although to be fair, there is no standard gutter width.)

Unlike the Tipro, a 122-key non-POS keyboard is made up of several different matrix sizes.  2x5, 15x5, 3x5, and 4x5 just for the main blocks.  That means either multiple unique PCBs or a matrix that can be cut down for each of the subsidiary blocks.  That is simple to do, but it doesn't eliminate PCB-cutting.  And a purpose-built 60% would still be required for the main block.

Still, with the GH36 I have an interconnect designed, and experience in making a multi-size matrix PCB.  In fact, the GH36 already supports 2x5, 2x6, 4x5, with 3x5 an easy mod.  I'll play with modularity in a design draft for the GH-122/154 PCB.

It is easier to see how case modularity can be applied.  Again, the different block sizes make custom sub-block molds out of the question, but some design modularity is probably possible with attainable methods.

Thanks for this supplementary post.  It is helpful to see the specific internals you've been advocating.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Sig auto-typed by my GH36 LH keypad.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case