Author Topic: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy (Closed for Orders)  (Read 427818 times)

Offline witbliz

Re: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #1300 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 22:09:15 »
Hi guys , I'm having issues with flashing the firmware. Is there anybody having a 7 space bar hex file I can use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline witbliz

« Reply #1301 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 04:19:57 »
Anybody able to help ?

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #1302 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 04:35:16 »
Hi guys , I'm having issues with flashing the firmware. Is there anybody having a 7 space bar hex file I can use ?

I'm using a 7x spacebar on my octagon, here's the hex file for it.

Hope it helps :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline witbliz

« Reply #1303 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 04:36:09 »
Thank you very much ! I will try to fix it tonight

Offline yookwh

« Reply #1304 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 21:14:15 »
If you guys have an extra PCB and plate, PM me

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #1305 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 09:05:12 »
Does anyone know if it's possible that the underglow has a solid color and stays on? I've tried all led options on o2d mapper but closest I get is a solid color and slowly pulsing on and off. Anything I'm missing?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #1306 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 09:16:04 »
Does anyone know if it's possible that the underglow has a solid color and stays on? I've tried all led options on o2d mapper but closest I get is a solid color and slowly pulsing on and off. Anything I'm missing?

I tried the same for the Duck Black Bird, without having the board glitch (I'll get back to that later) the only possible thing is setting all LEDs to the same color which means reflashing if you want to change said color.
So, to the glitching. I don't know how this exactly happened, but it happened a few times already. Somehow you can swap the color palettes used for the modes, so you can have reactive multicolors and static monocolors. How? No idea, but it has to be a glitch because it is not documented at all (or just in Korean) and I was not able to trigger it when going through the standard functions.

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #1307 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 11:14:58 »

I tried the same for the Duck Black Bird, without having the board glitch (I'll get back to that later) the only possible thing is setting all LEDs to the same color which means reflashing if you want to change said color.
So, to the glitching. I don't know how this exactly happened, but it happened a few times already. Somehow you can swap the color palettes used for the modes, so you can have reactive multicolors and static monocolors. How? No idea, but it has to be a glitch because it is not documented at all (or just in Korean) and I was not able to trigger it when going through the standard functions.

Thanks I got it to work! For anyone else wondering, open your HEX file in O2D keymapper, go to Tools -> RGB color preset http://i.imgur.com/veqdToS.png and set every color there to the same one. Then flash your HEX file to your board again. Like kawasaki said, the downside is that you gotta flash your HEX file each time you want a different color, but this is a great solution if you're looking for a solid color for a longer term.

Offline yookwh

« Reply #1308 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 12:25:22 »
Sorry for this post, but since these are so hard to come by, I'm looking for a spare PCB and stainless steel plate, and a silver top. If you have any of these, PM me and I'll pay well. Thanks.

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #1309 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:11:50 »
My new PCB is unresponsive, I downloaded the O2D tool and plugged the usb in holding the second key from the top left and nothing happens, Anyone have some quick pointers?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1310 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 01:38:23 »
My new PCB is unresponsive, I downloaded the O2D tool and plugged the usb in holding the second key from the top left and nothing happens, Anyone have some quick pointers?

When I plug it in the mini usb connector gets very hot rapidly. Is something soldered incorrectly on my PCB?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1311 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:13:25 »
PCB pics

Anyone have any idea?

There is no response from the keyboard or PC when plugged in(windows 10)

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1312 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:27:58 »
have you tried flashing it with Atmel Flip instead? First time was going to flash my Octagon V2 it didn't respond either. Only after I flashed it with Flip for the first time. Did you perform the hot-swap mod on the PCB or did you receive it as is?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1313 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:40:15 »
PCB pics

Anyone have any idea?

Have you tried it prior to installing the holtite sockets? Did you buy the PCB separately? Or are you building your kit?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1314 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:42:47 »
have you tried flashing it with Atmel Flip instead? First time was going to flash my Octagon V2 it didn't respond either. Only after I flashed it with Flip for the first time. Did you perform the hot-swap mod on the PCB or did you receive it as is?

The PCB was new in bag from the person I bought this Octagon Kit from. It was wrapped up in the original plastic.

Where is that switch? That may be the cause but I am away from home today for work.

I preformed the hotlite mod myself, It is a solderless Job save for one pad that wouldn't fit a hotlite. I have set up several boards now with hotlites and have had 0 issues.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1315 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:45:12 »
PCB pics

Anyone have any idea?

Have you tried it prior to installing the holtite sockets? Did you buy the PCB separately? Or are you building your kit?

I sadly did not test before inserting the hotlites, however I used no solder in their installation so couldn't have burned anything out. I have done the hotlite mod on several keyboards now with no issue. This seems to be an issue with the board as it is unresponsive when plugged into the PC. The PCB/Plate was in the sealed bag, I bought it off another user with one built pcb and one unbuilt, finally decided to build this one and nothing, womp.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1316 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:45:31 »

The PCB was new in bag from the person I bought this Octagon Kit from. It was wrapped up in the original plastic.

Where is that switch? That may be the cause but I am away from home today for work.

I preformed the hotlite mod myself, It is a solderless Job save for one pad that wouldn't fit a hotlite. I have set up several boards now with hotlites and have had 0 issues.

That's a program he's referring to, not a physical switch.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1317 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:50:20 »

Ahh okay, is there a guide to flashing the pcb with Atmel Flip for the first time? CTRLx do you have any pointers after having done exactly that?

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1318 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 14:44:44 »

Ahh okay, is there a guide to flashing the pcb with Atmel Flip for the first time? CTRLx do you have any pointers after having done exactly that?

Launch 02D and map your keys, RGB LED colors etc. Save the HEX file and launch Atmel Flip. Before connecting your PCB to your PC USB port, press  and hold the physical FLIP key on your Octagon. In Atmel Flip software go to File > Load Hex file and then Device > Program (if I remember correctly).

If that doesn't work have you verified that you PC can discover the Atmel chip? This guide helped me out when I was having problems: http://www.adamfalwell.com/projects/octagon/assets/-simplified-guide--duck-pcb-flash-firmware---keymapping.docx

Other members also had problems with flashing the Octagon V2. You can read about it from here (maybe that conversation mentions something I've missed): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78549.msg2238881#msg2238881

Atmel Flip can be downloaded from here: http://www.atmel.com/tools/flip.aspx

Good luck and hopefully everything works out in the end.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1319 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 16:58:58 »
Still unresponsive. When plugged in components

L1 - small black has 000 printed on it
R78-R73 - small black has 4700 printed on it

Heat up to a very high temperature compared to the rest of the components.

This leads me to believe that something related to them is off that is causing this. anyone know what those components are and what could possibly be wrong. I don't think they are one direction as between my two octagon pcbs they are wildly different directions for all components of the same type.

Halp pls

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1320 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:12:56 »
Ladies and gentlemen I figured it out,

Listen to my yarn...

Based on the fact that a small section of the resistors heating up I figured the issue must lie at one end of the parts in question, a short maybe. On the right side there was nothing that could cause it, on the left, Zeal Screw in Stabs.... Sure enough they cause a short when screwed into the Enter key position on the octagon PCB. What a novel issue.

This is a word of warning, make sure you put an o-ring or something similar when you use screw in stabs on any Duck PCB where the traces pass around the stab hole.

Thanks for everyone who checked out my issues.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1321 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:20:06 »
what is goin on with that bottom right switch? did you solder in that holtite?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1322 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:37:59 »
what is goin on with that bottom right switch? did you solder in that holtite?

Hey Rooster,

Yeah for some reason that one socket would not allow a hotlite to fit in it. I've seriously messed up a pcb trying to force a hotlite in so now I just make a single solder joint if necessary. No hotlite there.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1323 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 17:54:08 »
nice job trouble-shooting that. i remember some other guy on reddit recently burning up his board. idk if he was using zeal stabs or not, but definitely catostrophic

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1324 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 20:15:40 »
nice job trouble-shooting that. i remember some other guy on reddit recently burning up his board. idk if he was using zeal stabs or not, but definitely catostrophic

Happily mine still works, pics later!

Offline gaiden

« Reply #1325 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 21:15:49 »
Here is my problem, I try to use O2D keymapper (version 1.8.622) and when I select Octagon V2 the arrow keys are all question marks "?" "?" "?" and if i try to map arrow keys elsewhere and save I would get Error "76" is there a better version of the O2D or may another software that can do keymapping for duck boards? Thank in advance for any suggestions.

Offline Weiss

• Impulse buying at its finest
« Reply #1326 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 23:50:46 »
Here is my problem, I try to use O2D keymapper (version 1.8.622) and when I select Octagon V2 the arrow keys are all question marks "?" "?" "?" and if i try to map arrow keys elsewhere and save I would get Error "76" is there a better version of the O2D or may another software that can do keymapping for duck boards? Thank in advance for any suggestions.

You have to open the O2D keymapper with Korean locale iirc, otherwise you will get the error and have your arrow keys be question marks.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1327 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 01:04:45 »

Listen to my yarn...

Based on the fact that a small section of the resistors heating up I figured the issue must lie at one end of the parts in question, a short maybe. On the right side there was nothing that could cause it, on the left, Zeal Screw in Stabs.... Sure enough they cause a short when screwed into the Enter key position on the octagon PCB. What a novel issue.

This is a word of warning, make sure you put an o-ring or something similar when you use screw in stabs on any Duck PCB where the traces pass around the stab hole.

Good job figuring it out. I will definitely double check your findings as I have 3 builds coming up with Zeal stabs and Leeku PCBs.

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #1328 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 01:19:41 »
For putting up with my questions I present pictures

156813-0

156815-1

156817-2

156819-3

My frankengon:
Lubed mod H switches for Alphas, Spacebar, and Function keys
Lubed clear linear gateron stems in Zealios housing with 78g springs for the mods
Zealistotles for the enter and escape keys

Feels pretty darn good:)

Offline gaiden

« Reply #1329 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 01:31:54 »
For putting up with my questions I present pictures

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

My frankengon:
Lubed mod H switches for Alphas, Spacebar, and Function keys
Lubed clear linear gateron stems in Zealios housing with 78g springs for the mods
Zealistotles for the enter and escape keys

Feels pretty darn good:)

that's how i wanted to set my keys (like yours) by swap pipe "|\" with "Backspace" how did you do yours? please list out your procedures it is much appreciated :)

You have to open the O2D keymapper with Korean locale iirc, otherwise you will get the error and have your arrow keys be question marks.

Installed Korean language, changed system locale, still gets Run Time Error "76" Path not found: I basically just download the keymapper, unzip, and run it. I'm trying to set change caplock to layer2 and on layer2 map arrow keys to I,J,K,L and when i save i get the error and the program closes... what am i doing wrong?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1330 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 12:11:10 »

Listen to my yarn...

Good job figuring it out. I will definitely double check your findings as I have 3 builds coming up with Zeal stabs and Leeku PCBs.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Glad you got it figured out!

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #1331 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 08:50:30 »

Listen to my yarn...

That's something that sounds like it shouldn't be happening. Have you contacted zeal to see if it was an issue with just your batch or something other people have reported?  I've got some coming in too so I'm glad this was something that got caught before I installed mine into another board.
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1332 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:35:49 »
This weekend I took my Octagon V2 home from work as I am beginning a new workplace on Monday. When I plugged it in at home I noticed none of my indicator LEDs were on. Layer 1 indicator LED was off and changing layers did not turn on any other LEDs. Same thing for Caps Lock and Scroll Lock. I re-flashed it using both 02D and Atmel Flip, which didn't help. I also did some basic troubleshooting and verified that the actual LEDs were in working order, which they were. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Everything else is working as it should. Could I have accidentally pressed some key combination turning them off permanently? Changing to LED control mode turns on the far right LED as always.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Offline yookwh

« Reply #1333 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:48:24 »
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've been unsuccessful in the step of "Firmware upload" via O2D KeyMapper. I get the error message, "DFU Programmer not found." All of the steps before hand (
Downloading the O2D file and the dfu-prog-usb-1.2.2 and then moving the O2D into the dfu folder, holding down the button before plugging in the USB cable, selecting the dfu folder for driver installation) work completely fine. Any ideas here?

Offline balotelli00

« Reply #1334 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:42:38 »
is this still on? bacause i couldn't join..

Offline alveeno

« Reply #1335 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:22:35 »
is this still on? bacause i couldn't join..
gb closed

Offline unoab

« Reply #1336 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:09:54 »

That's something that sounds like it shouldn't be happening. Have you contacted zeal to see if it was an issue with just your batch or something other people have reported?  I've got some coming in too so I'm glad this was something that got caught before I installed mine into another board.

look at IMG_2410.JPG in his post with the PCB pics, and then look at the topmost stab screw.  The screw head is shorting out LED pads, unless zeal has smaller head screws, it is always going to be a possibility on multi-layout boards that this can happen as stab holes are going to be near pads for alternate switch placements.  So, not a batch issue, more so a weird compatibility issue that requires a small insulator as a workaround.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:32:41 by unoab »

Offline yookwh

« Reply #1337 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 00:07:31 »
Okay, for anyone curious, I was able to solve the issues. Here's what I did:

1) Installed Flash (I completely forgot that I didn't have this thing installed)
2) Installed Flip 3.4.7
3) Installed the latest 02D software that includes Octagon V2, and not just V1
4) Mapped out everything in O2D
5) Brought it over to Flip

And it works!

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #1338 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 07:22:39 »
Gutted I missed this, I think it'd make a great work keyboard and I'm really eager to start some building  :(
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1339 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 15:46:29 »
Are there any more of these around or plans for another run?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #1340 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 03:30:42 »
For a moment there I thought the original post was from 10 January 2017 and got excited, I guess I'm a year late
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #1342 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 21:45:07 »
Octagon V3 Group Buy any time soon?

Viper/Eagle hasn't shipped, Lightsaver is next, then maybe Octagon. So, no, not "soon".

Offline gaiden

« Reply #1343 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 20:37:47 »
Trying to use O2D...very frustrating experience so far.. Error 76 and crashes when trying to save the keymap. FYI i have flash player (someone elsewhere mentioned about that, i also have Korean language install JUST FOR THIS PROGRAM...)

I wish they spent more time to make this more user friendly, if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong please do tell. thanks guys  :'(

Offline CMYK

« Reply #1344 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 20:46:13 »
Are you getting that when you are trying to save your layout?  I read in the Duck BlackBird thread that you have to create your own name, and it should save the hex file.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #1345 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 20:56:50 »
Are you getting that when you are trying to save your layout?  I read in the Duck BlackBird thread that you have to create your own name, and it should save the hex file.

thanks, I figured it out after making that post... so the program puts slashes "/" in the name (why?!?) and it errors out due to an illegal naming scheme.

here is my next questions:

DFU or FLIP? what are the proper steps for each software?

Also can anyone explain these?

Offline gaiden

« Reply #1346 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 23:36:52 »
Octagon V2 Successful firmware flash through O2D/DFU

[Download] - This Zip file http://www.filedropper.com/duckkeymappero2d-dfu-steps contains the following:
  • O2D_KeyMapper_Custom_v1.8.622 (Duck board keymapper, also activates DFU during firmware keymap uploads)
  • dfu-programmer-win-0.7.2 (has correct Atmel USB device driver inside - read simplified guide for details)
  • -simplified-guide--duck-pcb-flash-firmware---keymapping (helpful instructions for programming Duck boards)

[Apps & Files]
  • Korean language pack for Windows (apparently this is needed due to Korean arrows in O2D app)
  • O2D KeyMapper Custom v1.8.622 (use this to make your keymap)
  • dfu-programmer (uploads your keymap hex file, activates through O2D)
  • dfu-prog-usb-1.2.2 (manual update your Atmel USB device to ATmega32u4)
  • Adobe Flashplayer (mentioned by a fellow geekhacker it was needed for the FLIP app so you may not need it here at all, i mentioned it because I installed it..)

[Notes]
  • when doing keymaps i use Layer1 (default) and then FN1, FN2, etc and set my FN1, FN2 function keys accordingly. I'm not sure the difference between Layer 2 and FN2 but FN2 worked for me here so i'm sticking with it.
  • when saving your keymap, GIVE IT A NEW NAME & DO NOT USE THE NAME GIVEN BY O2D, apparently it adds slashes "/" to the name and when you attempt to save the app crashes on Error 76 which i can only assume is due to Windows not liking the illegal naming scheme
  • before flashing you need to hold the FLIP key before connecting your OctagonV2 to USB. OctagonV2's FLIP key is TOP RIGHT KEY, when i held mine and connect to USB all the Indicator LEDs were turned OFF so maybe this can help you confirm that you did it right.
  • Once your OctagonV2 is in the right mode and it's ready to flash, go to O2D>File>Firmware Upload. if the OctagonV2 is connected correctly the first step "1). DFU & Connect Check" should be in "yellow color". Next File Open and select your saved keymap file. 2). File Open will turn yellow once that's done. Press Upload. another small DOS window will popup and the firmware upload begins. just press any key when done!
  • you can go to O2D>Tools>Key tester to test confirm your keymap.  :thumb:

I'm making a note here hoping some of it will help new owners with their Making/Uploading Duck firmwares. Happy clacking guys!
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 February 2017, 23:41:16 by gaiden »

Offline tuananh_bkk

« Reply #1347 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 01:00:24 »
does anyone sell their pcb? I'm looking for a replacement pcb for my board.

Offline axm2

« Reply #1348 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 00:02:48 »
Can anyone help? I hold down the top right key as I connect the keyboard but the keyboard still works normally, and I can't flash firmware on it.

Offline yookwh

« Reply #1349 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 13:33:45 »
Did you try the other keys in that area? I tried the same thing, but ended up having to press the key to the left in order to flash the firmware.