Author Topic: GMK White on Black massdrop  (Read 6768 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: GMK White on Black massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 17:45:59 »
Definitely a very nice price when you compare it to the same set from Originative

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 05:52:51 »
Sure, they're DS—but $109, is that really good for something like this? Aren't there Cherry G80-series boards with comparable caps?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 08:13:54 »
This may be the quickest impulse buy I’ve ever done.

$109? SOLD

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 10:50:18 »
Sure, they're DS—but $109, is that really good for something like this? Aren't there Cherry G80-series boards with comparable caps?

Hard to get some of the compatibility this set offers at this price.  It’s not perfect, but it is a good deal in terms of GMK pricing

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 January 2019, 02:42:05 »
Don't fall for it. Them caps will look unevenly worn faster than any other color scheme.

So glad I sold my new WoB set before I ever used it.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 14:26:39 »
Don't fall for it. Them caps will look unevenly worn faster than any other color scheme.

So glad I sold my new WoB set before I ever used it.

I have it and I love it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 19:38:31 »
I must be missing something. They look like pretty ordinary keys me—white legends on black, standard cylindrical profile... Are they really worth what you could get an actual MK for (a pretty nice one, actually)?

Again, it's nice that they're DS, but you can get many DS key sets for much less.

I'm not trying to be negative about anything here. I'm just wondering what the attraction could be.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 21:42:53 »
Got my set this week. Looks great and fast shipping.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 00:02:13 »
I must be missing something. They look like pretty ordinary keys me—white legends on black, standard cylindrical profile... Are they really worth what you could get an actual MK for (a pretty nice one, actually)?

Again, it's nice that they're DS, but you can get many DS key sets for much less.

I'm not trying to be negative about anything here. I'm just wondering what the attraction could be.

Sometimes it's about compatibility.  For instance, the Massdrop set covers many layouts that buying a fullsize keyboard wouldn't allow.  1800 layout, 65% layout, HHKB, ISO. 

Also, many people see the original cherry legends as iconic and therefore highly sought after.

Are the 140 or so plastic bits worth $100?  Probably not.  Is a GMK set with a lot of layout coverage worth $100 to people in the mechanical keyboard community?  Yes.

I got my set the other day as well.  No idea what I'll use them on yet, but maybe on my silver M60-A.  Classy black on silver.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 18:14:05 »
I got my set the other day as well.  No idea what I'll use them on yet, but maybe on my silver M60-A...

So the important thing is just to have items like these, even if you're not sure how you'd use them? Gosh, I can think of lots of stuff like that. My credit card is heating up already.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 19:25:37 »
Yep.  This is the classic FOMO (for of missing out) syndrome that I have as well as many others in the hobby.  It’s okay though bc if I had to I could sell the set to someone else who did miss out :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:31:00 »
Yep.  This is the classic FOMO (for of missing out) syndrome that I have as well as many others in the hobby.  It’s okay though bc if I had to I could sell the set to someone else who did miss out :)

LOL x2

I bet these will look even better in the flesh (er, ABS), too. Okay, I'll just be envious then.